Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been feeding my English Bully for almost 4 weeks now and he stinks (body odor) and this last week he went from wanting a chicken leg quarter twice a day to once a day. Is this normal?
I have a horse that will stop eating his grain if he isn't being worked much and he doesn't want/need to eat it and everything works out fine. He has actually scared me by goin a week or two wothout eating his grain and only living on the grass, until I figured out what he was doing! :) Is this something that might be happening with Owen also? Just wondering. I am also thinking of changing him from the chicken to maybe beef. Would this be a good time or should I wait a little longer? As of this week he gets a chicken leg quarter every morning and once or twice a week he gets the gibblets (hearts, livers and other things that come in the pre-packaged packs sitting right next to the chicken.) and once a week he gets a 'soup bone' with as much meat as I can find on them to help keep his teeth working. I go to the grocery and get the ones with the tendon/cartledge and meat to be sure that he can eat everything and not have bones laying around my house! :smile: Will changing him to another meat help with the body odor? If not then, does anyone know what might help?

Funny Story:
I am currently staying with my family (grandparents aren't doing well and I am looking for a job closer) and every day that I feed my dog prey model, my mom starts thinking more and more about the benifits of it. :smile: She told me when I moved in that I had to keep the yard clean since I have a big dog compaired to hers and 'he poos more' she said!! He goes less then her yorkie mix does! :biggrin: :wink: My job isn't that hard!! LOL! :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have been feeding my English Bully for almost 4 weeks now and he stinks (body odor) and this last week he went from wanting a chicken leg quarter twice a day to once a day. Is this normal?
Are chicken quarters ALL you are feeding? Are you feeding the bones also?

He has actually scared me by goin a week or two wothout eating his grain and only living on the grass, until I figured out what he was doing! :)
He would be better off if grass was all he ate the rest of his life.

I am also thinking of changing him from the chicken to maybe beef.
Again this brings up the question ... is chicken all you are feeding him?

Would this be a good time or should I wait a little longer?
There are other things you should probably feed before you get to beef.

and once a week he gets a 'soup bone' with as much meat as I can find on them to help keep his teeth working.
If he is eating bone-in chicken, there is no need for the soup bone.

Will changing him to another meat help with the body odor? If not then, does anyone know what might help?
Probably. Where is the odor coming from? If it were me, I'd start alternating his chicken meals with meals of turkey necks or turkey wings.

What do his stools look like?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it has taken so long to respond to this! HOLIDAYS! :)
I feed chicken quarters and turkey wings and necks. I have just started on pork, although I wasn't able to get any still on the bone this time so that is only one to two meals a week right now. All of his meals are either meat on the bone or he gets a bone later that day. I do try to mix it up as much as I can while avoiding adding too many meats into his diet at one time. I have been feeding primarily chicken and turkey since they have been on sale most often this time of year. I have, unfortunately, not been able to meet any butchers yet to see if they would be willing to part with their ham bones and things of that sort because of the holidays being so busy. His poo is normal and all is working its self out now. Thank you for all of you insight on the raw feeding.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I feed chicken quarters and turkey wings and necks. I have just started on pork, although I wasn't able to get any still on the bone this time so that is only one to two meals a week right now.
All of that is cool. Keep it up. Doesn't matter if pork has bone or not. Sometimes mine does and sometimes it doesn't.

All of his meals are either meat on the bone or he gets a bone later that day.
Forget the bone later in the day. He doesn't need it. He is getting plenty of bone in the quarters, necks and wings. It doesn't matter if you don't feed him anymore bone than that the rest of his life. It doesn't matter if you feed boneless pork or beef (when you start feeding beef). My dogs usually get 2 or 3 boneless meals a week.

I do try to mix it up as much as I can while avoiding adding too many meats into his diet at one time.
Good, you need to add stuff do the diet slowly.

I have been feeding primarily chicken and turkey since they have been on sale most often this time of year.
Thats not a big deal. In time you will get other meats added to the diet.

I have, unfortunately, not been able to meet any butchers yet to see if they would be willing to part with their ham bones and things of that sort because of the holidays being so busy.
Thats good. You don't want ham bones. You don't want bones of any kind except what is in the animal parts you are feeding. The problem with telling a butcher you want bones for your dog, he has no clue what you want. You don't want bones at all unless they are heavily covered in meat. The butcher won't have those. It's his job to get as much meat off the bone that he can. Forget feeding your dog bones. Concentrate on feeding your dog animal parts.

His poo is normal and all is working its self out now. Thank you for all of you insight on the raw feeding.
I'm not sure what is causing his odor. Is it coming from any particular place? Check his ears for odor. Put your nose close to the ear and take a big whif. :) Infected ears are a common cause for odor. My dogs haven't had a bath in years and they have no odor. Abby hasn't had one in 5 years and 4 yo Thor has never had one in his life. They are Great Danes so if they had odor you would know it. Raw diet usually causes odor to disappear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts