Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, I know that the raw diets are better than kibble and whatnot, and that the pre made diets are lower quality than straight meat from the butcher, but the fact of the matter is, I'm not quite ready to go to that step. There is a local place that makes a raw diet that seems to impress me more than others I've tired. I've done the Nature's Variety patties, but the fact this "raw" diet looked nothing like raw meat, but rather a grey mystery substance totally turned me off after two bags of the stuff. Then I did Primal, but it seemed to have a lot more than just the meat in it.
So. That brings me to where I'm at now.
I found this diet at a local place. (love your pet bakery) I consider myself well educated on pet nutrition but raw is a relatively new concept to me. I've included a link to one of the three varieties of it I'v tried. How does it compare to other pre-made diets? (NOT asking how it compares to home made diets) Picking the block apart, the bone conent seems reasonable. it's incredibly meaty (and bloody, which grosses me out as I don't eat red meat. lol)

Love Your Pet Products - Raw, Free-Range Buffalo Dog Food

I Also use the Wild Elk and Wild Venison ones. As far as these three meats (elk, venison, and buffalo) which is best for my dogs? They do very well on this diet, and seem to love it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
How does it compare to other pre-made diets?
I don't see nearly enough information to compare. Maybe a better nutritional profile is located somewhere I can't find. The numbers I do find for Buffalo don't add up. 17% Protein, 15% fat, 70% moisture = thats 102% and they don't even list carbs. Add the carbs in and the numbers are even more out of whack.

Picking the block apart, the bone conent seems reasonable. it's incredibly meaty
I don't see where you find the bone content. Yes, its supposed to be meaty. Thats a plus. :smile:

I really can't compare it to others with no more info than I was able to find. To me, comparing premix raw diets is like comparing one not so good thing to another not so good thing and trying to determine which is the most not so good.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
The bone content was right in the beginning it said something like buffalo meat with bone in or something like that. It still has flax in it, which is species-inappropriate, and kelp, also species-inappropriate. Aside from that, it has less species-inappropriate ingredients than others, but absolutely no organ meat which is not good at all. I'm sure it's better than any kibble on the market though :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts