Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My male Golden pup will turn 6 months of age on the 28th of April.

I have scheduled his neuter surgery for the second week of May.

My question is: Is there a valid reason NOT to neuter at 6 months? If there is, what is the appropriate age to neuter a male?

The breeder has stated that she wants me to wait. She claims that holding off on neutering at 6 months prevents cancer and some other diseases from developing. She also claims that the only reason to neuter at 6 months is when the dog is having behavior problems.

I want my Golden pup to be able to participate in daycare and training programs. These programs require dogs to be spayed/neutered at 6 months of age.

My Vet also says that 6 months is the right age to neuter the pup. I don't want to wait. Dogs become sexually mature at 6 months. My other 2 dogs are "fixed".

Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i have heard that it is not ideal to neuter a large breed dog until he is about 1 yr old. I dont really remember why.... i think it has to do with bone and muscle growth.
and then of course some people do not neuter their working or agility dogs because they supposedly have more drive and work better intact. i have no idea how true this is though.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I'm not sure about Goldens but I know with Great Danes, it's good to wait until about 18 months or so because the male dog needs the testosterone to build the strong masculine features of a male dog such as a big head and strong muscles.

I had a male Golden that I adopted when he was 1 1/2 years and still intact. He also had a big head and strong muscles. I neutered him immediately.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pretty much for *any* dog it's good to wait, let their muscles grow. Otherwise, you stop the flow of testosterone and other needed hormones, basically you get an adult dog with the forever body of an adolescent. Growth plates don't close ,other issues as well. I read a very good article on it, I'm looking for it. I"ll post it as soon as I find it.

I think that I neutered Seamus too early. In the picture of him, note the deep chest. Characteristic of a dog that's neutered too early.

I'm not sure about Goldens but I know with Great Danes, it's good to wait until about 18 months or so because the male dog needs the testosterone to build the strong masculine features of a male dog such as a big head and strong muscles.

I had a male Golden that I adopted when he was 1 1/2 years and still intact. He also had a big head and strong muscles. I neutered him immediately.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Unless you want to deal with an unruly male adolescent I would neuter him sooner than later. There are behaviors that are learned that tend to be undesirable as a male dog gets older and older which neutering doesn't alway take care of. You also don't have to worry about him having sexual drive to get out to find a girl, which a lot of young males do get out and end up getting hurt or worse.

Its just fine to neuter him now. He will grow up to be a happy, healthy puppy with neutering him at 6 months. His muscles will develop just fine because testosterone is also secreted by the adrenal glands. He might just not be as beefy LOL

The pros far outweigh the cons.

Oh, and the cancer thing is bogus :wink:

·
Registered
939 Posts
My Boston was neutered at about 8 weeks old due to an impacted testicle, and he's turned out just fine. He's more lean than a normal Boston is, but I think that's more the genetics from his mother than anything else as his mother is the same way.

I, personally, like the fact that he was fixed earlier. I never had to deal with any of the puberty issues, and he's always had a great attention span which is totally unlike a Boston. I attribute this partly to him being fixed so early.

So I say do it!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I, personally, like the fact that he was fixed earlier. I never had to deal with any of the puberty issues, and he's always had a great attention span which is totally unlike a Boston. I attribute this partly to him being fixed so early.

So I say do it!!! :biggrin:
I never had to deal with puberty issues with either of my males that were neutered at 18 months. They are and were both beautiful masculine dogs. Not fat by any means but muscular stout bodies with large heads. They definately weren't girly dogs. :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I have seen plenty of male Danes that were neutered before 18 months and they don't look girly at all either. Our local Dane group has ~350 members plus all of the rescue danes that we come across :wink:

Neutering earlier doesn't have much of an effect at all on muscle tone. Maybe some, but not enough to make a difference on a pet dog that doesn't work for a living or show or trial :tongue:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Champ was neutered at 4 months (before he was ever mine) and definately did NOT grow up "girly" in the slightest.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This comes from "Canine Neuter FAQ" from the Pet Health Library:

At what Age can Neutering be Performed?

Neutering can be performed at any age over age 8 weeks provided both testicles have descended. Dogs neutered before puberty (generally age 6 months) tend to grow a bit bigger than dogs neutered after puberty (testosterone is involved in causing bones to stop growing, so without testosterone the bones stop growing later). The same behavior and prostate health benefits can be realized no matter what age the dog is. (In other words, a dog does not become "too old" to obtain the same health and behavioral benefits of neutering.)

The traditional age for neutering is around 6 months of age and many veterinarians still recommend neutering at this age.

This contradicts statements made by RFD above as well as StdPooDad.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I truly believe it doesn't matter when you neuter them.
I don't really like the super early neuters (2 months!) but I understand why shelters do them.

I did Jack at 6 months, Flip was already neutered when we got him, and he is definitely NOT girly in the least. He is as muscled as a greyhound.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Unfortunately there are a lot of myths about neutering/spaying dogs. The above message doesn't contradict what RFD said because he was referring to muscle development and growth and this is about bone growth. While both of these statements are correct, there is no real medical health reason to wait til after 6 months of age.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I just had these same debates over Khan with myself and my husband. Our Zeus (RIP) was neutered at 6 months, and at 4 1/2 yrs he died of bone cancer. Do I think that neutering early had anything to do with this? Honestly no; he had 2 TPLO surgeries when he was 2 & 3, so he obviously had some genetic issues, which I'm sure played a part in his problems. However, that did not stop a teeny tiny portion of me from going Hmmmm.
I also had the argument of large breed, and growth plates needing to develop, as well as larger head/chest argument from my husband.
So with Khan I had thought I would wait until he was closer to 9 months. Well at 7 1/2 months he went in. I started seeing behavior, albeit minor, that I was not willing to allow him "get use to" I know training is an ongoing process, and we continue to go to CGC classes, I just really did not want to have to deal with some of those.
I know that even after the process is complete the testosterone doesn't instantly go away.
He may not develop the biggest head/chest of other Bullies; but his health, well being, and behavior are much more important to me.
Besides, have you smelled the pee of an intact male...Blahhh :tongue:

Reactions: DaneMama

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The reason you can't find any is because it's not an issue. Neutering male dogs early has no effect on cancer rates. Waiting to neuter later in life does open the door to prostate problems and testicular cancer.

Talk to your vet, contrary to popular belief they really do have a lot of knowledge.

I would look for articles but I'm at work and don't have too much free time today. Google Scholar is a great resource for well refereced and peer reviewed articles. Try the key word search "canine" "neuter" "cancer" and see what pops up.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Champ was neutered at 4 months (before he was ever mine) and definately did NOT grow up "girly" in the slightest.
Same with Aspen. He was neutered at 4.5 months old and is definitely not *girly* looking. Big head, good muscle, big bones...

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Dogs neutered before puberty (generally age 6 months) tend to grow a bit bigger than dogs neutered after puberty (testosterone is involved in causing bones to stop growing, so without testosterone the bones stop growing later).
This statement just makes no sense if you stop and think about it. Male dogs as well as male humans and most other species tend to be larger than females. I suggest they grow larger because of testosterone.

The traditional age for neutering is around 6 months of age and many veterinarians still recommend neutering at this age.
It may be true only BECAUSE vets recommend it. They tend to want to neuter early while they still have the client. They don't know if they will still be your vet when the pup is 18 months of age. In the Great Dane world, it is generally accepted that a dog should be neutered not before 18 months for optimum health and body development.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Great article. :smile: I was also wondering this exact question in concern to our future new puppy. I have always felt it's a bit better to wait a while longer before neutering a large breed puppy.

I'm gonna talk to our breeder and our vet. But, I would like to wait until he's a bit older than 6 months to have him neutered.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts