Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started raw for about 5-6 weeks now. The only thing is, I've only been giving them chicken. Without going into finances, lets just say that chicken is the least expensive and is what I can afford right now. Also, I figured any RAW is better than kibble.

So my question is, is there a CON to feeding only chicken?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Well, the only con I would say is that your dogs would be lacking in Omega fatty acids. So I would supplement them with fish oil capsules. Is there no way that you could add in grass fed beef or fish once a week?

How are their stools looking? If they are getting nothing but chicken, have you introduced organs yet? If not, I would go ahead and give it a shot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the only con I would say is that your dogs would be lacking in Omega fatty acids. So I would supplement them with fish oil capsules. Is there no way that you could add in grass fed beef or fish once a week?

How are their stools looking? If they are getting nothing but chicken, have you introduced organs yet? If not, I would go ahead and give it a shot.
There stools look great. I actually bought 2 lbs of heart this week (which I just read about 5 minutes ago that it isn't really considered an organ but more of a muscle). I was planning on giving them that later this week.

How many capsules of fish oil would you recommend per week? Or would that be a daily thing?

On a side note, I'm just curious, how much is everyone spending per lb on beef products? I have found cheap chicken (50 cents / lb) at a local farmers market so thats what im feeding.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
What kind of heart? Beef heart? Its between a muscle meat and organ meat because it is a very rich muscle nutritionally but doesn't provide the nutrients that are essential that are found in liver and kidney.

We give fish oils several times a week. You can give ~1 capsule for every 20 pounds in body weight.

The only beef products we get are heart (~.80 per pound) and beef ribs (~.80-.90 per pound).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of heart? Beef heart? Its between a muscle meat and organ meat because it is a very rich muscle nutritionally but doesn't provide the nutrients that are essential that are found in liver and kidney.

We give fish oils several times a week. You can give ~1 capsule for every 20 pounds in body weight.

The only beef products we get are heart (~.80 per pound) and beef ribs (~.80-.90 per pound).
Ill look into beef heart next time and will look for liver/kidney. I got chicken heart this time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you are feeding mostly chicken, with beef heart on the side and beef liver/kidney, along with some supplemental fish oil, you are doing OK. If you find pork on sale, buy some. Variety is key, but your dogs will be fine eating mostly chicken for awhile.

Have you tried the ethnic markets? They usually have a good variety of meats and they are cheap. I've gotten pork liver, tongue, and uterus there for just a few dollars.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don't worry, we are in the same boat as you are. We feed mostly chicken due to finances. I also give beef liver on Mondays(thats "organ day" for us), and several times a week they get omega 3-6-9 capsuls since NONE of our bunch will eat fish. We have a now 10 week old australian shepherd puppy who is getting more variety for now, starting some pork. But for the most part, our adults are on chicken quarters and doing better than they ever have. Just make sure you give fish oil(or fish) some during the week and liver and you will be fine.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I think you guys will be fine in the short term, but you really should try to at least ad in another meat source, dogs will adapt for a time but in long term conditions they really need the variety of different sources for different nutrients.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts