Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old Newfoundland puppy. I am a bit confused about how much to feed her. I know ultimately I will just need to adjust the amount to feed based on body condition changes, but I don't know how much to start with.

At 10 weeks old, she is 15 lbs. According to what I have read, I should feed her 8-10% of her body weight each day. This would be 1.2-1.5 lbs per day.

Her parents were 110 lbs and 125 lbs. This makes me think her adult weight will be around 110 lbs. I've also ready to feed 2-3% of her adult weight each day. This would be 2.2-3.3 lbs per day.

I'm probably overthinking this, and should just start feeding raw and see how her body condition changes, but does anybody have any insight on how much I should start her out on?

As an aside question, can somebody provide a good reference that shows the bone percentage for various pieces of different animals? For example, I remember reading that chicken quarters are about 30% bone.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I don't worry too much about percentages. Never have. Never will. No wolves in the wild are worried about calculating percentages, and prey model is based off that. Percentages were thought up by man, at some point in time as a best guess. I think, feeding at least 3 times a day, starting with 2-3 pounds is a place to start, assuming you are spreading that amount out for all three meals. If it is too much and there is too much weight gain or runny poops, back off. Just adjust according to your needs.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree with Jenny, buuut if you do want a pretty comprehensive list I have one. I need to figure out a way to upload that excel sheet..

·
Registered
177 Posts
As to the amount of food, I'd follow your inner-intelligence as to what seems like a reasonable amount of food for a meal and then adjust if the pup is getting too heavy or too thin. I'd "err" on the side of lean. PMR fed pups (and dogs) will look "wlder" (leaner and less rolly-polly thattypical kibble fed dogs/pups).

You will need to do a little re-think of what ideal bodytypes are (and perhaps endure some comments from well meaning strangers) about you dog looking "thin."

And after a time most dogs will look quite obese to you in comparision. Trust me.

I (roughly) balance meals. I find it easy, do it my "eye," but I understand the bone percentages in the common cuts I feed and aim to make daily meals close to 10%. I think it is easiest on the dog's GI tract and it keeps critical mineral balances on track. I do the same with 10% daily organs.

Unlike some published advice, I'd start adding small amounts of organs to your pup's meal early. They need the nutrition, and it generally builds a love of organs (as opposed to building organ aversion) when it is part of the diet early.

These positions make me a "contrarian" with reguard to some sources.

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love dogs. I would love to have one here at the house but some people in the household are allergic to them. It's sad but I've always wanted a dog. My friends and I were actually just talking about this while we were playing Among Us. This is easily one of the best games you can play with friends right now. You can visit the game website to know more about the game. Another game we've been playing is creative destruction online. This is our way of hanging out as a group nowadays and it's been really fun playing these games as a group.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts