Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted another ad for free meats which included getting rid of last years game for a new hunting season.

I got this message from lets say a "concerned poster". I did not mention that I was feeding my family <which I'm not> nor dogs <which I am> in the message... <maybe I should>

Please be careful of the venison meat for the reason of expiration date. My husband cant remember the cutoff date but several years ago a guy was trying to feed his family and had venison in his freezer (he was unemployed) and the authorities came in and did an arrest. It did not make logical sense. I believe some people need help not arrested. Calll any butcher or deer processer and ask about how long you can have venison in freezer before it is illegal. Option: Butchers or deer processors have a list they keep if a hunter does not want the meat. Good luck. I only want to inform.

So, am I barking up the wrong tree by trying to fetch my dogs breakfast and dinner if I gain game meats? I do not want to get in trouble feeding my dogs at low or no cost. I had heard <from someone else, can't remember who> that the Game Commision can come in a see what you have in your freezer if someone turns you in for old game meat.

If dogs are the only ones eating the meat, are they included on this too? I mean, I understand that they don't want people getting sick but I don't want to be breaking any laws by having old game either! :eek: If this is true, I will stop posting ads for their meat and try to harvest it myself. I just don't want any troubles... KWIM?!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, I haven't had a problem with it yet or even heard about it before this thread.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I responded back to her...

Hi ______,
Thanks for the heads up. I was not feeding my family nor any other family with the meat but my dogs. They are on a RAW diet. I will change the format of my post from here on out and just ask for freezer burnt meats and see what I can get.

Did someone turn him in for this? It is indeed rediculous in my opinion!

Thank you.

Her response to me:

Hi _____! Apparently someone had to get into his freezer and look in my opinion. The sad part is that once a person is in the system, forget a lot of priviledges...This guy had kids and the article would not name who turned him in or sicked the game warden on him.
You know, venison is good for heart attack victims. I just wanted to inform and am glad it is for your pets. Good idea to change and ask for freezer burn meats. Sincerely, ______

I haven't responded back but I should ask her if she has a link to this article.

<All names removed to protect our identities>

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay guys, this has really got me nervous so I called the Game Warden and asked him what I do if I recieve gifted game meats and he said this:

Get the full name and address of the gifter, their phone number and the gifter's hunting license number, the date I recieved the game, what game I recieved and then note the dates when the meat is consumed by the dogs and what it was that they consumed so *if* anyone would ever show up, it'a all tagged and legal and I could just show the warden my note book.

This is for the state of PA where I live. If you have any questions about your state, you should call the Game Warden of your state and ask for yourselves.

Looks like the free meats may cost me a bit of paper work but it's better than getting tagged for untagged meat! <pun intended> I just don't want any troubles for myself or anyone else trying to feed their animals.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think they're just a little toooooooo anal in PA:frown: I'm getting deer meat left and right from friends freezers right now, and I'm not the least bit worried about getting names and addresses, much less their hunting license number, here in TN. You're Game Wardens need to loosen up:wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't think they're gonna loosen up.

I just don't want any trouble with it down the road.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Well, I don't think they're gonna loosen up.

I just don't want any trouble with it down the road.

Its definitely worth it to be safe than sorry...better cover your a$$ if that is what will keep you outta trouble.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its definitely worth it to be safe than sorry...better cover your a$$ if that is what will keep you outta trouble.
I just never gave it a thought til this woman contacted me through my ad. You'd think a gift is a gift but Pennsylvania Game gifts must be different. :rolleyes:

I just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I just never gave it a thought til this woman contacted me through my ad. You'd think a gift is a gift but Pennsylvania Game gifts must be different. :rolleyes:

I just thought I'd share.
There's a chance that if it stays between you and the gifter that you wouldn't get in trouble, but the chance is there...its just whether you are up to taking that risk to get some free meat.

I don't know what the laws are in CO but I have heard that it is illegal to sell it, but not that its illegal to give it to other people. The laws around game meat seem really screwy...I have a hard time thinking about how they enforce the laws...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There's a chance that if it stays between you and the gifter that you wouldn't get in trouble, but the chance is there...its just whether you are up to taking that risk to get some free meat.

I don't know what the laws are in CO but I have heard that it is illegal to sell it, but not that its illegal to give it to other people. The laws around game meat seem really screwy...I have a hard time thinking about how they enforce the laws...

They are screwy but I'm guessing it's because it's game meat and you can't buy it at the store plus they have the rules and regs to deter poachers and such.

As far as enforcing the law... I believe all they need is a phone call by someone with info that someone has "game meat" and the address of the possessor and before you know it, you got yourself a BIG BAD Game Warden at your front door wanting to take a gander into your freezer. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts