Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs are getting alot of deer meat right now. Is it still necessary to feed them fish once a week also????

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would recommend it because there are omega 3 fatty acids in fish that will help with skin and coat. If not for that it would also be a good thing to include in their diet to give them as much variety as possible. Fresh, whole fish are best (especially salmon-but its $$$) but canned mackarel, salmon, tuna or sardines would be just fine. We feed whole tilapia and pollock, but only the Danes will eat them whole. The others only get canned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Natalie. I agree, fish is expensive. Gonna have to get the fishing pole out:biggrin: I fed them canned mackeral last week for the first time. They lapped it up. Get it for $1 a can at Dollar General Market. This raw diet is great!!!! The only thing they've turned their nose to is kidney. I did the same:eek: But they will get their organ meat, just not kidney.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
There is just as much O3's in Deer meat as in fish, maybe more. Any animal that eats a natural diet will have a lot of O3's in his body. It's the domestic animals like cows, pigs, etc that are fed "artificial" food that lack O3's.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Technically you could supplement her with flaxseed oil, considering all the omega 3 fatty acids found in raw meats is plant derived in the first place. Fish and mammals cannot produce their own omega 3's and therefore get it from their diet, hence why mammals/fish (deer, beef, chicken, fish...etc) fed a natural plant based diet have higher levels of omega 3's.

There is some debate about fish oils, or cold water fish (salmon, mackarel, sardines) being contaminated by heavy metals. But from all the research I have done, if fishes are fed in moderation you shouldn't have a problem at all. I guess this would be a reason to stay away from supplementing with fish oil caps since the oils are more concentrated, altho we still give them occasionally more as a treat than anything.

I would still add in fish to the diet for variety alone. It is one of my dog's favorite meals...heck Bailey and Akasha eat two whole tilapia every morning. If your dog enjoys fish and you can afford to feed it...why not?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is just as much O3's in Deer meat as in fish, maybe more. Any animal that eats a natural diet will have a lot of O3's in his body. It's the domestic animals like cows, pigs, etc that are fed "artificial" food that lack O3's.
So if they are getting a lot of deer meat, then I should not have to worry about fish???? Can they get too much Omega 3????

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
So if they are getting a lot of deer meat, then I should not have to worry about fish???? Can they get too much Omega 3????
No I don't think you can OD on O3's. :smile: In your case I don't think you have to worry too much about fish for the purpose of O3's but they are still good for variety. If they are a problem for you, don't worry about them.

danemama08: Technically you could supplement her with flaxseed oil, considering all the omega 3 fatty acids found in raw meats is plant derived in the first place.
The problem is how well carnivorous dogs absorb nutrients from plants ... Not very well. Herbivores and omnivores ... much better.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The problem is how well carnivorous dogs absorb nutrients from plants ... Not very well. Herbivores and omnivores ... much better.
NO!!! REALLY??? I had NO idea that was so :tongue:

I will break this down even further for you to understand:

If you give a dog a whole flaxseed, its going to come out the same way it went in, unscathed. Hence, not being able to use any of the omega 3's from whole veggies/seeds. Same thing with something like whole broccoli. So you are 100% right about dogs not being able to get nutrition from whole veggies and fruits.

Dogs cannot digest cellulose, but the minerals and nutrients within the plant cells, of course. The problem is getting to those minerals/nutrients past the barrier of the cell wall. In this case we are talking about omega 3 fatty acids.

Nutrients, minerals, fatty acid chains, etc are not different from species to species...ie they are the same if found within an animal cell or plant cell. Dogs will use these the exact same way, no matter the source. Again, the problem is...getting to those nutrients, minerals, fatty acid chains, etc.

There are no "omnivore" nutrients or "carnivore" nutrients, calcium is calcium, phosphorus is phosphorus, magnesium is magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids are omega 3 fatty acids, so on and so forth. The elements are the building blocks of these nutrients (fatty acids), and therefore have no "variety" in terms of who uses them.

The differences between species is what is found where and who produces what. In the case of fatty acids like omega 3's, plants are the ones that produce them. They are found in cold water fishes, like salmon and herring, because they eat algae that is rich in omega 3's. They are not changed into "carivore" fatty acid chains within the fish therefore making them suitable for dogs to use, just like the flaxseed doesn't produce "omnivore" fatty acids.

When flaxseed oil is extruded from the whole flaxseed (ie taken OUT of the plant cell wall), the fatty acid chains are available for the dog to use, just like the fatty acids found in fish or venison or grass fed beef or grain fed chickens. They are not contained in some omnivore only vesicle or something, that is what the plant cell wall is there for.

All in all, it is 100% ok and worthwhile to give dogs flaxseed oil caps as a supplement. Do they need them when they get enough in their diet? Nope...but you can give them and the dog will use the omega 3's!

End rant :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna change it just a little to see what you think. It has never been proven that a human absorbs any vitamins from a vitamin pill. It has never been proven that a human benefits from taking vitamin pills. If this is true of humans, I think we can conclude this would be the same for all mammals.

Sooo ... if its not proven that a human can absorb vitamins in supplement form, couldn't we also conclude the same be true with O3's? So the question is, does a dog actually absorb O3's from supplements whether plant or animal or chemical originated?

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
There are no "omnivore" nutrients or "carnivore" nutrients, calcium is calcium, phosphorus is phosphorus, magnesium is magnesium, omega 3 fatty acids are omega 3 fatty acids, so on and so forth. The elements are the building blocks of these nutrients (fatty acids), and therefore have no "variety" in terms of who uses them.
Sorry, I'm gonna have to go off topic a little and disagree with this statement. Saying that calcium is calcium and protein is protein no matter where it comes from so it doesn't matter if carnivores or omnivores eat it is erroneous. As we have all come to learn, glutens are plant-based proteins, which are still proteins, but completely inappropriate for a carnivore to ingest, much like how beef would be terribly inappropriate for a chicken to eat. Same goes for calcium: it is much better and more appropriate for a dog to get its calcium from bones and egg shells rather than lapping up a bowl of milk.

Just thought I should add that.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna change it just a little to see what you think. It has never been proven that a human absorbs any vitamins from a vitamin pill. It has never been proven that a human benefits from taking vitamin pills. If this is true of humans, I think we can conclude this would be the same for all mammals.

Sooo ... if its not proven that a human can absorb vitamins in supplement form, couldn't we also conclude the same be true with O3's? So the question is, does a dog actually absorb O3's from supplements whether plant or animal or chemical originated?
I have no idea if that is true or not. From what I know and have heard, supplementation does work, but there are better forms than others. I know that when I give my dogs too many fish oil caps...they start to smell like them. In that fact alone I know that their bodies are at least absorbing the O3's. Are they using them? I have no clue!!! I would think so since they are expelling the fishy scent from the oil glands in their skin...which is why O3's are given right? Skin and coat?

I would think that if humans cannot absorb nutrients in supplement form, then there would be massive amounts of lawsuits against them. There are clinical forms of vitamins/minerals, and if they don't work people's lives would be at stake.

But....if people's daily diets were 100% species appropriate, etc, etc...then we wouldn't have to take supplements at all and probably most disease would be unheard of. Just like what we do with our dogs.

Sorry, I'm gonna have to go off topic a little and disagree with this statement. Saying that calcium is calcium and protein is protein no matter where it comes from so it doesn't matter if carnivores or omnivores eat it is erroneous. As we have all come to learn, glutens are plant-based proteins, which are still proteins, but completely inappropriate for a carnivore to ingest, much like how beef would be terribly inappropriate for a chicken to eat. Same goes for calcium: it is much better and more appropriate for a dog to get its calcium from bones and egg shells rather than lapping up a bowl of milk.

Just thought I should add that.
I agree with you 1000% about the protein. There are plant proteins and animal proteins and they are VERY different. That is why if you reread that paragraph, I in no way put anything in there about proteins. The elements that make up the amino acids, that make up the proteins are all the same...no matter the source.

Also, you are way off topic about the calcium too in the same way. I was just stating that the calcium found in plants is the EXACT same calcium found in bones (guess where the calcium comes from that is found in bones??? Plants-an herbivore's diet). I was not in any way saying that dogs should drink milk to get calcium. Nor am I saying that it's appropriate to feed your dog plants to get calcium. They are carnivores for a reason, and therefore should eat meat, bones and organs.

Omega 3 fatty acids are the same whether they are found in animal sources or plant. Dogs will only benefit from omega's from plants if they are EXTRUDED first. Basically break past the cell wall boundary in order to get them. I am in no way saying that you should give your dog flaxseeds in order to get the omega's inside.

I just wanted to make clear to the OP that she can supplement with the flaxseed caps, and to RFD that omega 3's found in flaxseed oil can be assimilated by a dog just the same as from salmon.

Would I ever give my dogs flaxseed oil caps by choice??? NOPE!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice debate folks. I wasn't really thinking I needed to supplement for 03's. I was worried that they might be getting too much if I fed fish along with all the venison I was feeding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice debate folks. I wasn't really thinking I needed to supplement for 03's. I was worried that they might be getting too much if I fed fish along with all the venison I was feeding.
I'm wondering if it would be somewhat similar to how the body processes "too many" vitamens? In humans, if your intake of vitamens per day, is over the recommended dose, then your body just flushes the rest out in your urine "unused" Maybe it would be the same with excess O3's? I dunno, just a thought :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Interesting! :rolleyes: :biggrin:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm wondering if it would be somewhat similar to how the body processes "too many" vitamens? In humans, if your intake of vitamens per day, is over the recommended dose, then your body just flushes the rest out in your urine "unused" Maybe it would be the same with excess O3's? I dunno, just a thought :p

I actually just saw on the news yesterday :eek:- that his theory has been busted.. sorta. Some vitamins, when taken in excess can cause cancer. This was a study in people.

I would think a dog would be able to deal with excess, as in nature- they would eat ALL natural animals and get lots an lots of Omegas! :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I actually just saw on the news yesterday :eek:- that his theory has been busted.. sorta. Some vitamins, when taken in excess can cause cancer. This was a study in people.

I would think a dog would be able to deal with excess, as in nature- they would eat ALL natural animals and get lots an lots of Omegas! :biggrin:
Good point.
I give Annie salmon oil like mad for heart health. About 5 "pumps" a day, but shen she goes on raw I don't think I'll need to.
Well, maybe I will because I'm sorry, I LOVE my dogs, but free-range organic meats are in fact out of my price range. They get wal mart or target brand meats. lol.
Hey, at least it's not kibble, right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts

Wow, very interesting. Man, I need to keep updated hehe. Good to know though!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found this also:

Omega 3 for dogs is an excellent way to show your love. Omega 3 is for the whole family. If you are like me- the doggie is part of the family. He listens to me a lot better then both my kids and wife. A dog really is a man’s best friend. My dog named Barney “Stinky” Marsh has certainly benefited from increasing his Omega 3 levels. See some more of the Omega 3 Benefits

Omega 3 is Important
A long time ago when dogs were wild animals they used to eat a lot like us humans. They are omnivores like us. Pretty much eat what ever they can get like plants and animals. The ratio of Omega 3 for dogs to Omega 6 was much closer like 1 to 5. Today the ratios are much worse then that. Dog’s diets are way too high in Omega 6.
Dogs are almost totally reliant on us humans for their food. We all know what a terrible state our food is in these days. SO if they don’t care about people’s food they definitely do not care about dog’s food. So we have to take care of our dogs and make sure they get enough of the proper nutrients.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Omega 3 is Important
A long time ago when dogs were wild animals they used to eat a lot like us humans. They are omnivores like us.
Where does that information come from??? Dogs are carnivores and always have been. If you would like information as to why they are carnivores, I can list them if you wish.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts