Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older dog, now at least, who has been on raw since 1 June 2010. Last year we noticed problems with severe constipation so we added 1/2 cup of pumpkin to his daily diet each morning. If we try to add more bone than a small turkey neck twice a week it's too much. Sometimes I only feed him one large turkey neck a week. Right now he gets between 13 and 14 ounces raw meat or organ or combination with bone for each meal fed twice a day. So is that enough bone? Is it supposed to be 10% of their diet? Could it be less?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
If he is constipated, then he is getting too much bone. back off of the daily bone intake to maybe a few times a week. The 10% thing is just a guideline. Some do need that, some need less. I have a couple that need it at least every other day, but all the rest of mine only get it maybe two or three times a week. All dogs are different, so don't hold the percentages as bible. Adjust according to individual need.

I have never used pumpkin, but from my understanding unless you give too much, it is supposed to firm the stool more. I would back off of it as well, and replace that with something boneless. The whole poop thing is more or less a balancing act. Too firm, less bone. Too loose more bone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jenny,
I currently feed bone once or twice a week and meat with that. At time of the problem, I gave it everyday, just a little. But even with cutting back to two days per week and stopping the pumpkin, Bailey suffered from constipation.

I've read that pumpkin does both, firms stool and alleviates constipation. Our vet confirmed that for me when he recommended it for Bailey's constipation. It cleared it up.

In Leonberger years, Bailey's in old age and that's when he started his problems. He's less active than before. Not that he was ever a super active dog. He's the "laid back berger" type of Leonberger. He's super calm and gentle. Though some days you'd never know it when he gets to go on a special outing. Then he jumps straight up and down, bouncing all over the house in anticipation. It's odd seeing a 155 pound dog bouncing up and down. :wacko:

Reactions: magicre and xellil

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
So, how are things now that you have backed off bone?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Pumpkin works for both diarrhea & constipation but half a can? Sounds like way too much.
That's what I thought too. If that were mine, I would have had cannon butt all over the walls.

Reactions: InkedMarie

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You can reduce the bony pieces and add bone meal to supplement the calcium. It's not nearly so constipating.

Some dogs just don't do well with what we consider a normal amount of bone, and one turkey neck a week for a 155 pound dog doesn't seem l like nearly enough bone.

Rather than pumpkin, try increasing organs. I have come to believe that pumpkin doesn't really fix anything although it might hide a problem for a period of time. I would not use it daily.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I agree with xellil on this. I have one boy who gets very constipated very easily. He can't have much bone at all. I never ever ever ever use pumpkin. He gets bone once or twice a week in the form of a neck or a chicken leg or back. The rest of the time he gets boneless. If he starts to get constipated, I make sure he gets extra turkey hearts or beef heart (he can't eat too much beef) or extra organ. If I fed any of my other dogs that way, they'd be a mess. Each dog is different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts