Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question...

I'm new in terms of feeding better foods to my Dogs. This question has been bugging me for awhile...

With these ratings scales like Dogfoodanalysis...where they rate foods on their ingredient lists...IE-Chicken, Chicken Meal-those are "good" ingredients and propel a food to a high rating.

I cannot help but think this seems overly simplistic. Is it safe to assume that the Chicken used in Orijen or Evo is probably of a higher grade meat, from better sources...than say, a Diamond Chicken ingredient?

I certainly don't know the answer to this question...I just think that saying a food has chicken in it so it gets the same nod as another food might be overly simplistic.

I honestly don't know. Maybe chicken is chicken is chicken. Someone chime in please.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think you are absolutely correct. But meat is not of human grade that is used in kibble rendering, unless specified (ie organic, etc) so the quality to me is negligible. In the case of chicken in dog foods...chicken is chicken, etc.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
But meat is not of human grade that is used in kibble rendering, unless specified
Interesting tidbit: Ingrediengts labeled "human grade" in pet foods, only means that *at one point in time* the ingredients were fit for human consumption, but it does not mean that *at the time of rendering* it was. Source: Food Pets Die For by Ann N. Martin.

Actual ingredients don't always come from the dog food company, they come from the plant that renders the food. I'd say it's pretty safe to say in most cases, the same chicken that goes into food A rendered at plant #1 goes into foods B & C rendered at plant #1. (Hence so many foods being recalled by the Menu Foods mishap. One tainted ingredient made its way into several brands and lines.) Very few companies actually test the finished product (I know Natura does) and/or have a representative to supervise the production.

·
Registered
329 Posts
First....DogFoodAnalysis is certainly not the gospel on dog food. There rating system is a little off. They do mention that they only rate food based on ingredients...not nutrient analysis or K/cals or low ash or.....

For instance....Wellness Core makes it into the 6 star catagory....but Acana Grasslands, Pacifica and Prarie are 5 stars yet they are grain free, have a similar protein count and K/cal.....and yet Taste Of The Wild (with it's somewhat controversial ingredient list) makes a 6 star. There is more to dog food than just ingredients. And I don't believe there should be 6 ratings. There should be 3. Great foods without grain....great foods with grain....everything else. Lets face it, anything below their 5 star rating shouldn't be going into your dog.

A company like Champion Pet Foods (Orijen and Acana) take their ingredients very seriously and produce their food in their company owned facility. This seems to me to be the extra assurance in the quality of the food. It has also been dog food of the year since 2009, so clearly the steps that Champion takes makes the difference.

I think that chicken from Canada or Chicken from the U.S. is definitely different than chicken from China. But it is much cheaper to import the chicken from China than to use it from here.

But the question about Orijen or Evo chicken over chicken used by Diamond is that Orijen and Evo use way more chicken than diamond. Thus the more meat based protein you use, the higher the cost. Unfortunatley, companies like Wellness and Blue Buffalo believe they are players in the ultra premium market, but their foods just do not compete with Orijen and Evo at the same price point. Why pay for a Cadillac when all you are getting is a Chevy?

Quality manufacturing practices I believe are a huge role, and not many practice well

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
diamond makes canidae and canidae grain free uses 10 percent more protein than orijen. idk how much evo uses they might use more than canidae but with all the veggies idk how.

i would feed orijen as a trial but i heard that australia radiates all things imported from canidae and dogs died. i am in new jersey, but i bet the US does the same thing to orijen. united states is protective as hell since 9/11.
so i dont want a food thats radiated with shit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts