Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I once fostered a beautiful female yellow Lab mix. After 3 weeks living with me and being fed Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken, she was adopted by a wonderful animal loving family nearby.

She's been with her new family for about 8 months now. Recently, the family contacted me and asked if they could board their dog with me while they go on vacation for 9 days. Of course, I said yes.

I was told that the new owner took the dog to the vet and the vet told the owner to put the dog on Purina Dog Chow. The reason why the vet wanted to switch the dog from Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken to Purina Dog Chow was "it is better for the dog's teeth and digestion."

They brought the dog to my house with a bag of Purina Dog Chow and gave me instructions for feeding ("the feeding instructions are on the bag, we give her about 2 cups a day")

Of course, I'm not pleased. I worked to transition this dog from horrible shelter food (Pedigree / Beneful stuff) to Wellness and now the dog is back on horrible food. I don't see how this is going to help the dog in the long run, but who am I to argue with their vet?

I don't want to come across as an arrogant smarty pants so I am keeping the peace, but ..... there is just no way I want that Purina Dog Chow in my house. I don't want my dogs to smell it and think that the boarder is getting better stuff.

Just blowing off steam. And I'm just sad. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
The problem with that page is that BHA BHT is in fact, NOT banned from human food as it says. Scary as it is, try reading a box of Cap'n Crunch or almost any other mainstream brand cereal and you'll see it in there almost every time. Putting that paper in there is a good start though.

I pet sit for some people who feed their dog SD and I feel awful feeding it to him, and he always poops one decently firm one and then about 3 awful soft-serve ones ever walk I take him on, it's horrible. And he never seems to like it that much anyway, he takes forever to eat it. So while he was at my house playing with my dogs last time, I gave him his SD but mixed in a tiny bit of Blue Wilderness, just to see how he's like it. Oh man, after a few bites, he refused to eat anything besides the Blue! I was using the kibbles as training treats for him because he'd stopped eating, so out of curiosity, I'd give him an SD kibble and he would spit it out, give him a Blue kibble and he ate it right up. Made me giggle a little, smart puppy. So I oh-so-subtly left a pamphlet for Blue including an ingredient's comparison list on their kitchen counter when I dropped the dog off. I'm really hoping they get the hint.

Unfortunately, you're probably a lot better educated than their vet on pet nutrition, so when you say "who am I to argue with their vet?" in this case I'd say you are a more qualified and educated individual with the animal's best interests a heart, that's who you are!

If I were you, I'd educate them on how vets only take one nutrition class in vet school and it's usually sponsored by a major dog food company. And then try to educate them on good dog nutrition. Heck, send 'em to this forum if they won't believe the person who fostered and loves their dog, they might believe a huge pack of total strangers :smile:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately this isn't the only adoptive family that decided to put their dog on a lower-quality kibble, even after I had made every effort to educate them. I have referred most of the families to the Dog Food Analysis site so they can do their own research. But that doesn't help much. They just want to feed Purina, Pedigree, Science Diet or Iams (the so-called "more popular brands") and not put too much thought into it. At least I know I did my part. The boarder is gobbling up all the great food we have here and is not, in fact, showing much interest in the Purina Dog Chow.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's a tough one. Any time I adopt rescues out, one of the stipulations has to do with feeding and honestly, I'm a jerk about it. For the first several months I do require copies of receipts for food, supplements and vet care. Most of my rescues are special needs, too, so I'm more of a jerk than most about these things. If for any reason an adopter has to change the food, I do ask that they contact me so we can discuss it.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably try talking with them and educating them a bit - starting with why most vets are not the ones you should talk to about dog food in general, then work on pointing out the differences in dog foods.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Thats a bummer!
I asked my vet what he thought was a quality food! Now don't get me wrong my vet is great and I really like him they have other vets at the place I go to also ~ there are two vets I really like there but he told me a great food was Beneful. After I picked my bottom jaw off the floor I was like OH really! I walked out in a shocked mode and was like OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Well I had not known they really get like no training in nutritionunitl I asked about this, so gee maybe the vet that those people take their dog too that believe purina is cough cough good for the dogs teeth cough cough should learn a bit more about nutrion before he dishes out false information or should I say unknowledgeable information! Information the vet is not that farmiliar with! Well then this dog will have great teeth and die at a young age from bad food but still have great teeth! Awwww now that is just sad!
Print out the benefits and ingrediants of wellness versus purina maybe these owners will get back on track and can teach the vet something! Good Luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree

Its is crazy that some vets will recommend a terrible quality food! When I sold my last litter of pups I sent out a bag of the food I fed, a list of foods I have on my feeding rotation and information on why I feed these foods. I also included this website and forum, I have learned so much from this site and it is great for any one that has questions about food or is confused when there vet recommends a "Walmart" brand.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I'm glad you're an intelligent breeder that feeds good food. I encounter so many people who will stick with Kibbles N Bits till the end because their breeder recommended it. Or SD, Eukanuba, Purina, etc. Sometimes I get so frustrated I dont care how dumb it makes them feel to tell them that it doesn't take a whole lot of knowledge in nutrition to keep two dogs alive long enough to get them to procreate (like labs, goldens, pits, obviously some breeds are a bit more complicated and it seems like those breeders are always more well-informed too, hmmm i think I see a connection there) and that they're probably on some sort of breeder benefit program with the company getting free/cheap food from them to keep it going.

I just hate it when the two types of people (breeders and vets) that others tend to put their dog's nutritional fate in are two types who don't usually know squat about nutrition and have no business recommending it. Obviously there's an exception to every rule, but when people get a terrified look on their face when I tell them to feed something other than Royal Canin because their vet recommended it, I just want to shake the stupid out of them. Unfortunately, I think I'd get arrested for that *siiiiigh*

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Its is crazy that some vets will recommend a terrible quality food! When I sold my last litter of pups I sent out a bag of the food I fed, a list of foods I have on my feeding rotation and information on why I feed these foods. I also included this website and forum, I have learned so much from this site and it is great for any one that has questions about food or is confused when there vet recommends a "Walmart" brand.
KUDOS to you! Your an informative well rounded great breeder! I wish their were more like you! KUDOS again! I am so happy to hear this! YEAH Exactly what type of dogs do you breed? Oh how dumb of me I just re read your name DANES and horses! I must need stronger reading glasses hahah! I got it Danes! UGH!!!!!!!

Reactions: TippysMom

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wow. How sad. We also work with a rescue & part of the contract we have adopters sign says they will feed good quality food. It doesn't list what they are though. All of the adoptions I help with I talk bluntly about food & why the vet may not be the best informed for "good" food recommendations. I recently helped foster & adopt a beautiful (severely underweight) mini schnauzer rescued doggie. His new mommy called me from PetCo wanting to know exactly what food I fed him - he wouldn't eat the stuff they were trying to transition him to...he'd pick out the bits of Blue Buffalo that I sent with him to ease the switch. She gave up on the "new" food & kept him on Buffalo.

Sometimes it sinks in. All you can do is try your best & inform them. It's up to them to learn or be uninformed.

Hang in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts