Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, as you may or may not know I am an avid and obsessed Doberman Pinscher lover. So I finally found a breeder that seems not only good, but affordable (only $600 for a puppy) in my old hometown no less! Please feel free to check out her ads and tell me what you honestly think of it: ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

The best part is, she isn't due til the end of December so I won't be getting the puppy until the end of February/beginning of March (happy birthday to me!). The bad part is that she knows nothing about nutrition, but I'll be able to get my pup away early enough so that not too much permanent damage is done.

Anyway, now I'm gonna be a crazy 20 something like CorgiPaws with three dogs and my dream pup from a breeder and engaged nonetheless ! :wink:

I feel conflicted about this for two reasons:
1. My fiance really wants a german shepherd but I'm not the hugest fan of them (not compared to a doberman anyway) and the one he wants will be ready at Christmas (way too soon!) and looks like it will be one of the long-haired shepherds (really not my style). So I feel bad because all the dogs are mine and none are really going to be his or the type he wants anyway.
2. I hate buying and breeders and hate the fact that I'm not rescuing a dobie. But in my defense, every single doberman that needs rescuing will not work with my lifestyle. Either they hate dogs, hate male dogs, hate cats, have severe separation anxiety, or are $12,000 (sadly, that's not an exaggeration, I e-mailed a breeder about a trained dobie last night and that was the price of him!).

And finally (sorry for the long post), does anyone have any doberman experience on here? I'm definitely wanting a black and rust and I'm leaning more towards a male.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hello all, as you may or may not know I am an avid and obsessed Doberman Pinscher lover. So I finally found a breeder that seems not only good, but affordable (only $600 for a puppy) in my old hometown no less! Please feel free to check out her ads and tell me what you honestly think of it: ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

The best part is, she isn't due til the end of December so I won't be getting the puppy until the end of February/beginning of March (happy birthday to me!). The bad part is that she knows nothing about nutrition, but I'll be able to get my pup away early enough so that not too much permanent damage is done.

Anyway, now I'm gonna be a crazy 20 something like CorgiPaws with three dogs and my dream pup from a breeder and engaged nonetheless ! :wink:

1. My fiance really wants a german shepherd but I'm not the hugest fan of them (not compared to a doberman anyway) and the one he wants will be ready at Christmas (way too soon!) and looks like it will be one of the long-haired shepherds (really not my style). So I feel bad because all the dogs are mine and none are really going to be his or the type he wants anyway.
2. I hate buying and breeders and hate the fact that I'm not rescuing a dobie. But in my defense, every single doberman that needs rescuing will not work with my lifestyle. Either they hate dogs, hate male dogs, hate cats, have severe separation anxiety, or are $12,000 (sadly, that's not an exaggeration, I e-mailed a breeder about a trained dobie last night and that was the price of him!).

And finally (sorry for the long post), does anyone have any doberman experience on here? I'm definitely wanting a black and rust and I'm leaning more towards a male.
Wow! That sure is a beautiful dobe mom. She looks healthy too. I don't know much about dobermans. Are they a hardy breed? They are very sweet dogs. I met one where I used to work at a daycare/boarding place. When I got Aspen from the breeder, I asked about OFA certifications and things like that. She also had him on Pro Plan, yuck!!! And I also did my research on the breed. I think you should too. I also wanted to rescue a mal, but I wanted to raise a puppy. Puppy mals are nearly impossible to find at shelters. Believe me, I looked everywhere!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Honestly, I would let the SO "win," but that's just me.

Very pretty dogs!

I wouldn't be concerned about "permanent damage" from a less than ideal diet. Plus, the pup should be nursing for the first 4-6 weeks anyways.

I remember a few years back I saw a GORGEOUS GSDxDobie mix at Dobie Rescue in Fillmore, CA when I volunteered there. She was such an amazing animal. Maybe you can find one of those? :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Really, no one here is going to be able to help you with the fiance problem. Thats a decision you will have to make. I suppose getting 2 more dogs is pretty impractical? One thought from an old man ... you are very young, barely out of childhood. If you don't get the dog you want right now, there are many years left to find him/her(this also applies to fiance).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The only thing that I would ask the breeder about is OFA certifications, bloodwork, temperment testing, etc on both parents. I am personally not a fan of AKC, CKC, etc on registration, and think that the health of the parents is more important. I just skimmed the ad that you posted and the parents look very beautiful! But like I said, I think that health is the most important thing.

Also, no link to a website? Its always good to see the breeder keep an updated website with pictures and a blog about the parents and puppies...instead of just posting up an ad in the local classifieds. I am not saying that having only an ad is a bad thing necessarily, but its nice to be able to watch your puppy grow when you can't be there. Your breeder should also show you a copy of the pedigree (one of the most important breeding tools and shows she didn't just get a male and female to breed).

As far as dealing with the fiance? Maybe sit down and talk about why he wants a GSD and why you want a Dobie. Compare and contast the breeds and the whys of wanting a puppy from that breed. Maybe research a few breeds that have similar traits to what you are looking for in a dog. But like RFD said, this is a situation that you need to figure out between the two of you.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and here's the stud: ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming

Yeah, I keep telling myself that, but this opportunity to get a Dobe is so perfect and I've wanted one for so long. And in all honesty, I'm probably going to be doing 90% of the work on the dog anyway! I do feel really bad about him not getting his dog, since the two we have now are mine. But still *whines* haha

I checked with the breeder and she said both dogs have no health problems, her dog actually came to her from some Dobie breeder in SLC and assures me they're both OFA certified. She definitely does her research on her studs because she got 8 responses for studs and when she checked their pedigrees, two of them were her dam's half-brothers and one ended up having a blood disease that would be passed on two 50% of the litter, so she was horrified and walked away from them.

I think I definitely will sit him down and talk to him about it. He assures me he's fine with a Dobie and will love it even though it's not a GSD, but you never know with men! I know it's what he has his heart set on but he told me that he loves puppies so he really doesn't care :rolleyes: let's hope he's telling the truth!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and I asked her to send me pics of all the pups from her last litter and she said she'd be more than happy to and provide references. I'll probably demand weekly photo updates as well!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Gotta agree with RFD. As another person who is older then dirt and married about as long, I'd look at this new pup as the opportunity for the two of you to start a family together. Not your pup, or his pup, but 'our new pup'.

We had AKC chows for years and got higher and higher in quality and now we finally have 'Rocky' the chow/husky pup we got from the rescue group. Guess which dog is the healthiest, smartest, and most spoiled of any we have owned! I'm not saying I will never get another purebred Chow but at this point I"m very happy with my rescue Chusky puppy who travels the country with us in the RV. You both could look for a dobie/shepherd rescue puppy together and be surprised at what you find out there.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
If she has done the health and temperment testing, she will have no problem showing you the proof then and you need to see proof of these tests. :wink:

Same with the pedigree, ask to see it.

Before commiting to a puppy, go and visit her and meet the parents. This is much easier if the puppies are not born yet! You don't have the added pressure of seeing a bunch of cute puppies and wanting to for sure take one. Trust me...this is how we ended up with Akasha. We went out all the way to NE to visit the breeder and meet the parents. We ended up taking a puppy right then and there because we couldn't bare to leave her...I wont ever do that again LOL.

Going and meeting the breeder/parents will give you an idea of how they treat their dogs first hand, this might change your mind completely about this breeder. Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to BYB and what makes a BYB. Mine are pretty non-conventional...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Personally, I don't know that I've seen any truly reputable breeders place classified ads to sell their puppies and stud out their dogs. That sends out a red flag to me and I would be surprised if you get any real paperwork or proof of health testing on the dogs. Not a vet check, but real hip/thyroid/heart testing like danemama is talking about.
I could be totally wrong about them though, the only way to find out is to ask.
Having said that, I'm sure both of my dogs are from backyard breeders (and that is what I consider breeders that post classified ads) but I adopted them from a shelter. I couldn't ethically BUY one from a BYB and support those types of practices especially when there are so many in shelters. Perhaps you have thought about his and have a different viewpoint.
If cost is an issue, have you considered a rescue? If you are patient you can even find puppies in rescues. I saw an adorable red boy in mine once and would have gotten him if my landlord would allow it :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

I tell you buying a puppy is the most heartwarming feeling just gives you that warm glowing feeling inside! I have 2 males and 2 females. I always get which is the best! Well they both have their disagreements haha! The femalse both labs can just battle over a toy and bump each other and just be absolutley fine with each other. The males now I have a beagle and the ori pei. The beagle is over 10 the ori~pei turns two on the 15th of this month! Aye yi yi! They can go at it meaning they bark not hurt each other never bite but they do have I want to say masculine barking matches as if they want everyone to see whos manlier haha! They do not get along as well as I would have hoped for but they do tolerate each other and like I said of all the 4 dogs I am not pulling anyone of anyone and their are no *dog fights* but verbalness whoo it can get loud haha! We got our beagle from a breeder and I swear it ,must have been a back yard breeder, but at the time my dalmation was getting older I wanted a puppy (for my then 3 kids) and we got him. I knew that time was not in my favor for my dalmation and I guess becasue I had 3 young children I was looking for a replacemnt dog Sad I know but I didnt want them to not have a dog in the home. Well anywayt with that said I looked at the sight seems like shes a well rounded person and some folk that are very legit do do their advertising this way and she seems legit to me!
As for hubby to be well doggy #4 could alwasy be that lovable loyal smart german shepard he wants but at a little bit later date! Maybe in a couple years! Dogs love packs! So then you have a pack! We walk all 4 of ours and funny the comments ~hows the family! I see your walking the crew again!~ how about taking mine with you too! So it is fun for all! We enjoy them dearly!
as for male or female well they all get neutered so whatever you prefer! I always though female becasue their more loving I learned not true at all! Males can be very affectionate and just wonderful dogs!
I cant wait to see the pics of the new pup! Sounds very exciting all the way around and I say go for it and yep then later get the german shephard! Dogs usually have no problem making room for more dogs! I know with our 4 when we first got Gordon the last one, my femals chcoclate lab was jealous oh my so jealous I htought I had made the hugest mistake I ever made. I thought worked through her jealousy of him by including her in everything and now hes going to be 2 and she is 4 and 1/2 I tell you they are the best of freinds they ;look for each other walk by each other go out together chase and play together more that the other rwo. So I think your a smart girl you will do just wonderfully with your new addition! Good luck to you, to the pup when you get him or her and the wedding planning! Sounds like a great time to me!:smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks wags!

I talked with my fiance and so long as we name the puppy "Timber" and it's "our" puppy, then he is totally fine with it :biggrin:

However, as soon as I showed him pics and he noticed the docked tails (guess he didn't remember that part of the breed), he freaked out and was so adamantly against it he wants me to call the breeder tomorrow and see if she will leave our pup's tail un-docked *sigh* it just figures i have to love one of those breeds that looks better deformed. They look like labs or hounds when they aren't done up. I'm fine with no ear cropping and i know the tail thing is evil, but still.

Anyone know any medical reason why their tails get docked or is it just to make them better guard/fighting dogs? I heard it's better to crop their ears so they're less prone to ear infections but methinks that is a bunch of bs since my floppy-eared dog has never had even dirty ears her entire life and I've never had to clean them either.

·
Registered
210 Posts
However, as soon as I showed him pics and he noticed the docked tails (guess he didn't remember that part of the breed), he freaked out and was so adamantly against it he wants me to call the breeder tomorrow and see if she will leave our pup's tail un-docked *sigh* it just figures i have to love one of those breeds that looks better deformed. They look like labs or hounds when they aren't done up. I'm fine with no ear cropping and i know the tail thing is evil, but still.

Anyone know any medical reason why their tails get docked or is it just to make them better guard/fighting dogs? I heard it's better to crop their ears so they're less prone to ear infections but methinks that is a bunch of bs since my floppy-eared dog has never had even dirty ears her entire life and I've never had to clean them either.
:raises hand: I do!

I am a HUGE advocate for docking tails. While there are show reasons to dock tails, there are also medical reasons.

The tail in some breeds are coated in enough hair and/or tissue to be sufficiently protective for the tail. Then, there are other breeds with more spindly tails with little hair like pointers, boxers, weimeraners, and, yes, dobermans. These types of tails lack the protection to prevent tail damage, such as breaking the tail or the end splitting from hitting hard objects when wagging or getting caught in the door.

Since the tail is long, thin, and the furthest away from the heart, it has very low blood flow to it, particularly the tip. Because of this, when any injury does happen, it will take forever to heal if it ever does. Tons of times, you will hear about dogs that have to end up getting their tail amputated later on anyways due to repetitive injuries and infections.

When my bitch had her litter, I went and assisted at the vet's with the docking. (I am a vet student and have a good relationship with my vet, so she allowed this.) It was done at only 3 days of age. While the pups cried, it was no more than their crying when mom stood up to leave and they toppled over. One pup, actually, believe it or not, sleep through it! The nerd.

Was it painful at the time? Maybe. Do they remember it? Nope. If you know a Jewish man well enough, ask him if he remembers his circumcision. My BF is Jewish and I asked him; no memory what's so ever.

The Council of Docked Breeds is a great resource on the pros of tail docking.

I own boxers and, despite my love for the breed, I don't know if I could bring myself to own one without a docked tail. I honestly think that is would be detrimental to their quality of life to have to have an undocked tail.

But, the decision is up to you. Here is the website for the Anti-Docking Alliance for balance.

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Dogs use their tails to "talk" with. If you take away his tail, you are taking away PART of their ability to communicate. Having said that, after have worked wit a lot of dog who don't have tails, they don't seem to miss it or be handicapped in any way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dogs use their tails to "talk" with. If you take away his tail, you are taking away PART of their ability to communicate. Having said that, after have worked wit a lot of dog who don't have tails, they don't seem to miss it or be handicapped in any way.
Right. My boxers have been going to dog parks for years and have never gotten in a fight. I have a feeling that any sort of correlation between dog fighting and a lack of tail would be due more in part to lack of socialization. Many that like the "docked tail look" think its great for a guard dog.

Reactions: malluver1005

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Tail docking is banned in England and in Australia. Apparently it doesn't hurt the dogs in these countries to have their tails intact. I worked for a vet who did both tail docking and ear cropping back in the 80's and yes, the puppies did cry. I've also seen many boxer and dobie puppies with their tails and ear intact. They seem perfectly happy to me and I can't remember any of them coming in with tail injuries from having a long tail.

It will be getting harder and harder to find a vet willing to crop ears and dock tails (we already did a whole rant on the ear subject awhile back but we could start another on on tail docking just for fun! :} My son and his girlfriend just adopted a boxer mix from a rescue group and it is the sweetest, cutest dog and it actually has a tail and floppy ears.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here is a picture of a Boxer in Sweden after the ban.

I didn't say they didn't cry. But, pups cry about a lot of things. After the procedure, all the pups were happily nursing again after being put back on the bitch no worse for wear.

I was pretty at my BF's cousin's brisk. He cried, too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Thanks wags!

I talked with my fiance and so long as we name the puppy "Timber" and it's "our" puppy, then he is totally fine with it :biggrin:

I really like the name TIMBER! I have a neighbor who has a husky and yep thats his name wonderful dog!
Well your fiance has the right to be concerned tail docking is a serious thing! When I was young we had a female dog with her tail docked. She was a mutt but this is what the farmer did at that time! She was no more differnt that any other dog she wagged what we called her stump all the time haha!
I think its a chice preference in ceratin breeds. But I have to admit I just have not seen a doberman without the tail docked and yep many with ear cropping also! I actually dont know if I have seen them without! But go with your gut insitinct here! Most of the time this is what we do and were ususaly right! Not saying likeya right I never make a mistake (God I wish that were true) but I htink your instincts are pretty right on here!
Now I bet your just getting anxious waiting for that puppy! But it is the winter like when we got Gorodn! Those februaury days in and out with puppy! I just hung my winter coat on the back of a chair and it stayed there for quite sometime as I was going in and out with him training him! But I wouldnt change a thing haha! Your going to have so much fun!:smile:
As for the cropping like I said go with your gut! The pup will be fine!:wink:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts

If there's anything I learned in my long Looooooooong search for a Boxer breeder that fit my needs, it's that you absolutely can not judge a breeder by what you see online. Based on the info in the ksl ads, there are things missing, but lets not assume that this isn't a wonderful breeder just yet. Since they're close- go look at the pups, the breeding stock, the environment, etc. That's really the only way to tell. I know some great breeders with terrible websites. :rolleyes:

Meh, a lot of breeders don't know squat about nutrition, but it's not the end of the world. Grissom came home on Pedigree and look how he turned out! Okay, okay, BAD example. haha! Better example: Annie came home on pro plan, and she's fine. They're nursing the first few weeks anyway.

We should start a club! lol.
It's wonderful, I wouldn't change it for the world, but it's demanding. Three is MUCH more demanding than two. (we're thinking four might be the trick. HAHA) But to me, my dogs ARE my "lifestyle" so I don't feel like I give anything up.

Welllll I know a BEAUTIFUL 3 year old Shepherd/ Golden mix, wonderful with all dogs, cats, people, etc up for adoption juuuuust south of you. lol.

Don't feel bad. I know nothing about dobes, I'll be honest. I know there are SOME breeds I'd NEVER get from a breeder, and then there are those that I can not give up the health testing done by reputable breeders for any other alternative. (ie: boxers)

No experience there, but you'd be amazed at what you *think* you want, and what you end up *falling in love* with. When I was looking for Grissom, I was in search of a tricolor female, and ended up with a red and white male. And with annie I was looking for a flashy fawn female, and got a plain brindle female. lol.

oh, and Congratulations on whatever you decide!:biggrin: Let the chaos begin!!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts