Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after a month of research into raw I decided to make the switch for my 4 month old pit pup. I started by just giving her bites of chicken meat here and there as a treat. A few days later i gave her a meal of chicken meat (about a pound) and she did fine. I did this for several days w/o problems. So, I decided to graduate her to a full chicken quarter...then bam....very sick dog. EXPLOSIVE diarrhea and vomiting. She can hold down water but no food. It should be noted that I was still giving her kibble for breakfast about a cup and half. Then I would give her the quarter at night 12 hours later. It has been this way all weekend, with her stools staying watery and vomiting up her dinner. What am I doing wrong? And before anyone asks, Im feeding kibble seperately because when we go out of town the only people to watch her would not feed raw but only kibble. So, we decided to keep her use to kibble by feeding her a breakfast portion of kibble. My hope was that as she was able to eat more and more raw I would give less kibble. But now I don't know what to do. Please help!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ok, so after a month of research into raw I decided to make the switch for my 4 month old pit pup. I started by just giving her bites of chicken meat here and there as a treat. A few days later i gave her a meal of chicken meat (about a pound) and she did fine. I did this for several days w/o problems. So, I decided to graduate her to a full chicken quarter...then bam....very sick dog. EXPLOSIVE diarrhea and vomiting.
I'm sorry to hear that your pup is not feeling so well, but on the bright side, the fix is easy.

I'm not surprised in the slightest bit that your pup got diarrhea from a meal of straight boneless raw meat. When switching to raw feeding BONE-IN meats is essential. Absolutely essential because the bone is what keeps stools firm. Feeding bone in meats should be done for the first 3-4 weeks solid.

It also doesn't surprise me that your pup got diarrhea from the abrupt switch from a boneless meat to a whole quarter. How much does your pup weight? Typically a 4 month old pit pup should weigh not much over 20-30 pounds. A whole chicken quarter typically weighs 3/4 to a full pound which is one whole day's worth of food for that size of dog.

She can hold down water but no food. It should be noted that I was still giving her kibble for breakfast about a cup and half. Then I would give her the quarter at night 12 hours later. It has been this way all weekend, with her stools staying watery and vomiting up her dinner. What am I doing wrong?
Cut out the kibble. No need to feed both. Raw is much better than the kibble in the first place. Even with feeding the kibble and raw in separate meals, its still hard on your pup's system. Some dogs can handle this feeding routine but others cannot. If you think about it, feeding raw one meal and kibble the next is highly "confusing" to the digestive system. You are asking the dog's system to digest an exclusive raw, meat only diet to one that is laden with carbohydrates and countless other ingredients. Different enzymes are needed to breakdown each type of food, so switching off every 12 hours is very stressful to the system.

What I suggest you do:

Stop feeding kibble, because you need to give your pup the best thing you can possibly provide...which is raw.

Don't feed her until the morning of the new "starting day" whenever that may be. If its tomorrow, then don't feed her dinner. This gives her system a chance to settle a bit before adding in more food.

Feed her BONE-IN meal for breakfast. This can be 1/2 of a chicken quarter, which may be a smaller meal size, but smaller is better in the beginning. Remove all excess fat and skin (which can cause diarrhea). Then for dinner give her the other 1/2 of the chicken quarter with all the skin and fat removed. Repeat for 1 whole week and reassess how her progress is doing.

And before anyone asks, Im feeding kibble seperately because when we go out of town the only people to watch her would not feed raw but only kibble. So, we decided to keep her use to kibble by feeding her a breakfast portion of kibble. My hope was that as she was able to eat more and more raw I would give less kibble. But now I don't know what to do. Please help!
I'm not going to ask why you keep feeding kibble since you explained your reasoning. But I will tell you why you shouldn't.

As I stated before, kibble is not needed. Raw foods are healthier and more appropriate.

If the people who would watch your pup when you go out of town refuse to feed her what she eats, then find someone else. This is not a good excuse to compromise your pup's well being and health. Maybe spend some time talking to these people about WHY you are going to feed her raw and that its important enough to you AND your pup that she stay eating raw when you go out of town. Clarify with them if they have any fears of raw feeding. If they are still unwilling, there are plenty of dog boarding facilities that will cater to your dog's needs.

I'm afraid if you don't cut the kibble out, you will have a really hard time with you puppy and switching to raw :frown:

Here is a getting started guide a wrote with the newbie in mind. I really, really recommend you read it and stick to that switching method. Hope this helps!!!

How to get started | Prey Model Raw

1 - 2 of 2 Posts