Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 week old English Staffordshire Bull Terrier. He was weened onto raw. When he arrived (9 weeks) his stools were loose and dark with mucous and a wee bit of bright red blood at the very end. I have been feeding him chicken wings and legs, gizzards and a wee bit of goats milk. His stools have improved slightly mostly in colour he has had four or so “good poops” that I have seen with a mix of runs and mucous and still sometimes bright red at the very end. He is good energy levels and still drinks and is interested in food, no signs of pain in the abdominal area or while pooping. Just basically looking for some reassurance or advice. A seasoned mentor would be fabulous. Thank you all 🙂

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Welcome to DFC! First of all, stop the goats milk. Really no need for milk. Dark loose poops can be a result of too much organ. Try backing off those a little. Is chicken still all you are feeding? I would move on to another protein, maybe try some pork. At ten weeks, you should be feeding all the proteins by now. Chicken may be causing an issue, so I would move on from it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only had him for a week and have stuck to chicken for that week as he arrived with an upset stomach. He gets very little goats milk but it has seemed to improve his digestion. He arrived with dark stools and has has one small piece of liver in the last week, his stools are no longer dark.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Good! Glad theres an improvement! Keep us updated on how its going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have settled on good poops and I have brought beef into his diet now. Pretty sure we are good 🙂

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Good! Assuming things stay good, continue adding more proteins into the mix each week or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a question about bone meal. I would assume like whole bone if too much calcium is present it will just be passed? I know he gets the phosphorus he needs but I was thinking of adding in bone meal into his diet for when I can’t source suitable meaty bones? I am still trying to find a good source store.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do have a question about bone meal. I would assume like whole bone if too much calcium is present it will just be passed? I know he gets the phosphorus he needs but I was thinking of adding in bone meal into his diet for when I can’t source suitable meaty bones? I am still trying to find a good source store.
I don't believe the assumption on excess calcium from ovefeeding bone being passed is a correct one.

Since bone-in chicken is one of the cheapest and most available food sources and has soft-edible boe, why would you want to do bone meal?

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I agree with Bill. No need for bone meal when there are plenty of cheap whole bones available, like chicken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts