Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is raw feeding something you can do when you get a puppy? Is their a certain time one should wait before jumping into raw feeding?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I know several breeders who ween their pups onto a diet of raw meat, bones and organs beginning at 3 or 4 weeks of age. I started my Thor (3yo Great Dane) on raw the day I got him at 12 weeks of age. The day I brought him home he had a meal of chicken backs. In less than a week he was eating chicken leg quarters and after that he was eating the same things adults were.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also started my Italian Greyhound pup on raw when I brought her home at 14 weeks. She has always done great on it.

I use a pre ground raw that I can buy in a natural pet supply store near me. Its just the meat and bones-depending on what I buy them-all organic, and local grown...I add it Honest Kitchen Preferance and other supplments...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I started my 8 week old pup the day I got her. She had been on beneful or puppy chow or something of that sort before. I didnt bother with a transiton and she had no problems with the switch. She's 8 months now and I don't think I've ever seen a healthier looking dog.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
We switched Remi over at 13 weeks. I'd say the earlier the better (after they've been weaned)!

Take it slow, start out with chicken only for the first week or so (bone in). Recommended feeding amount is 2-3% of the ideal adult weight (best guess).

One of the best things I have ever done for my dogs and all puppies in the future will be put on raw the day they come home. :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Reviving old threads are we!!!

Shiloh, Akasha and Zuri have all been raw fed since 8 weeks. Freya was switched at 3.5 months. The earlier the better! Weaning to raw is the best option!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Reviving old threads are we!!!

Shiloh, Akasha and Zuri have all been raw fed since 8 weeks. Freya was switched at 3.5 months. The earlier the better! Weaning to raw is the best option!
HA! I didn't even notice the date! Oops!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I suggested to a client the other day that they give their puppies chicken backs as RMBs for teething and/or bones to chew and directed them as to where to get it. They seemed excited. Then one of the other trainers asked me if it was okay to feed RMBs to puppies, I said of course! All of my future puppies will be raised on PMR. :] I should have done it with all the puppies I found and made it a requirement for their future owners. :p I'm saddened I didn't know about it back then.

·
Registered
198 Posts
After doing some research...I made the switch...our pup was four and a half months....and we could not have made a better decision. Now I admit...it was pretty shocking to watch my dog crack on a chicken bone...gulp...and gone. My biggest concern was puppy teeth not grinding the bone(s) up enough and causing an obstruction.
Over time...that "fear" relaxed...and now that were rid of puppy teeth and her adult teeth are coming in nicely...she really grinds those bones up good.
So far...we have not had a problem...and if your concerned with the size of the chicken leg/high...you can start them out on the Chicken Drumettes instead of a whole chicken leg. I have a Rottie pup, so I was not too concerned per say with that aspect too much. Were rounding out one month of raw...and our girl is loving it. She is much more even keel regarding temperament...not that she was wild...has more energy when it's time to "work".
One of the biggest things I have noticed is no more rock eating...concrete...shells...drinks much less water, half the poop, and her coat is like wet ink.
Go for it...I'm actually having fun mixing up her dinners now....and she really appreciates the change. We also had an anal gland issue which is no longer present either...so raw has eliminated multiple "problems"...and I have been able to see the differences.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I brought my Copper home at seven weeks, and she was on raw immediatly. I took a hammer to chicken drumsticks and smashed them for her the first few times, but she took off from there. She hasn't had a bite of kibble since bringing her home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts