Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again --

I started my puppy on raw immediately after bringing her into my home. She took to it immediately (chicken backs for 1st 2 days and now chx back + quarters). She had the runs for about a week, but with the change in diet plus the stress of leaving her litter plus interaction with new humans and new environment that was to be expected. I'm starting to see more solid results now.

The puppy is a So African Mastiff and at 11 weeks is currently 30lbs. I took her to the vet on Saturday and he said to expect her to gain approximately 20 lbs in the next 3-4 weeks (wow :eek: )

Now to my question - since I am transitioning, my plan is to stick to chicken backs and quarters for at least one more week as has been recommended. My concern is whether or not she is getting the proper nutrition with this limited diet during what is clearly a significant growth period in her young life?

From what I read here, the purpose of food source limit is solely to make it easier on the dog's digestive system.

I could (should?) accelerate the introduction of organ meet to meet her nutritional demands?

I could (should?) accelerate the introduction of protein variety to meet her nutritional demands?

If I have 100% "treats" (ie they are dehydrated) will this suffice in meeting the nutritonal value of organ meats for now?

What about supplemental vitamins to replace the consumption of the actual organ and other proteins until I slowly add the real deal into her meal regime?

Any additional advice from other large breed owners who took their dogs through puppyhood is ALWAYS appreciated.

thanks much!

Carol

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think that only having her on it for another week will be perfectly fine, she can't be missing any nutrients on just raw meat and organs that she wouldn't be missing on gross kibble! The important thing is to get her stools firmed up in the meant time. I'm going through the same thing with my new Doberman puppy, as soon as her stools firm up (hopefully within a week because I'm sick of loose stools), I'm gonna start slowly adding in organs so I don't cause diarrhea again! I did give her some really bony pork to chew on yesterday which may or may not have been the cause of her stools loosening up again, she didn't eat much of it though so I'm not sure if this diarrhea is caused more from being taken from her brother whom she had all weekend with, driven 4 hours, and then introduced to an entirely new place with new dogs, new people, and over a foot of snow! Yeah probably.

Anyway, you'd probably be fine to try adding in another protein source like turkey neck since it's really bony and still poultry and see how she does with it.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I could (should?) accelerate the introduction of organ meet to meet her nutritional demands?
You can begin introducing organ meat IN VERY SMALL AMOUNTS. I mean like a piece of liver about the size of your thumbnail. GRADUALLY increase the amount over time. Be very careful as it's easy to induce cannon butt if you rush the introduction of organs too quickly.

I could (should?) accelerate the introduction of protein variety to meet her nutritional demands?
Puppies seem to adjust to a raw diet much easier than adults. I guess thats because they haven't eaten kibble for a long time. So, yes, you can accelerate the introduction of new protein sources faster with a puppy. Let him be the guide. If he starts digestive problems, back up a step or two and slow down a little. If he keeps firm stools, keep going in the slightly accelerated program.

If I have 100% "treats" (ie they are dehydrated) will this suffice in meeting the nutritonal value of organ meats for now?
All I can say about organs, regardless of the form they are in, is to be very careful to prevent digestive upset.

What about supplemental vitamins to replace the consumption of the actual organ and other proteins until I slowly add the real deal into her meal regime?
Not necessary. You seem to be too worried about having every meal completely balanced and thats just not going to happen anytime. Don't worry so much about nutrients. They are there. It won't hurt or have a growth effect on even your growing giant breed puppy if organs are a few weeks away.

Any additional advice from other large breed owners who took their dogs through puppyhood is ALWAYS appreciated.
I began feeding my Thor, a 5yo Great Dane when he was 12 weeks old. He was probably on chicken only for a couple of weeks and as I remember, it was over a month before he got any organs. He did just fine. Stop worrying so much and relax and enjoy your puppy. He's not going to be a puppy very long. :smile:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Well Peyton had a really firm stool yesterday with a little bit of liquid with it, but this morning it was rock solid like a normal stool should be! It did have the tiniest bit of blood on it but I think that was more from being rock hard than anything else.

My vet told me I should add in some cooked leafy green veggies, berries, and nuts like they might find in the wild at this age so her system can handle these things if she ever happens upon them. It also supposedly helps encourage some sort of good something to develop in the digestive tract. Anyway, I think I'll just ignore that piece of advice as she seems to be doing great so far :biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts