Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 1/2 mo old poodle puppy has not eaten today. He sniffs the bowl and then tries to bury it with his nose and his blanket.
I thought skipping breakfast was a fluke, but he just skipped dinner too. I even got out a different kind of kibble and he ate one kibble and then nose-buried it.

It's been a long time since I've had a puppy but I recall them going through a fussy period from 6-12 months. I don't want to get all frantic and start offering a bunch of different things but tonight I even ground some kibble and mixed with warm water and he took a lick and nose buried it. I mixed up some honest kitchen, again with the nose-burying.
I gave him a bit of raw chicken. He spit it out and then ate it but is not terribly interested in eating.

He's playing and running around, just took him out for a pee/poop and he did both fine. He's currently harrassing my PWD and chihuahua.

Is it teeth? Is it he's just not hungry? Tough love? I do NOT want to make a picky eater! I can't commit to full-time raw or "my dog will only eat X."

The rest of my dogs eat whatever's put in their bowl depending on what I have that day. I rotate kibbles, canned, cooked/raw, RMBs. I expect them to eat it. I don't treat any of them differently, so I don't want to go down the spoiled poodle route either LOL.

Wait it out?

I'm starting to remember my bichon did this around this age and I waited her out for 3 days and she never had a problem missing a meal after that.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My 5 1/2 mo old poodle puppy has not eaten today. He sniffs the bowl and then tries to bury it with his nose and his blanket.
I thought skipping breakfast was a fluke, but he just skipped dinner too. I even got out a different kind of kibble and he ate one kibble and then nose-buried it.

It's been a long time since I've had a puppy but I recall them going through a fussy period from 6-12 months. I don't want to get all frantic and start offering a bunch of different things but tonight I even ground some kibble and mixed with warm water and he took a lick and nose buried it. I mixed up some honest kitchen, again with the nose-burying.
I gave him a bit of raw chicken. He spit it out and then ate it but is not terribly interested in eating.

He's playing and running around, just took him out for a pee/poop and he did both fine. He's currently harrassing my PWD and chihuahua.

Is it teeth? Is it he's just not hungry? Tough love? I do NOT want to make a picky eater! I can't commit to full-time raw or "my dog will only eat X."

The rest of my dogs eat whatever's put in their bowl depending on what I have that day. I rotate kibbles, canned, cooked/raw, RMBs. I expect them to eat it. I don't treat any of them differently, so I don't want to go down the spoiled poodle route either LOL.

Wait it out?

I'm starting to remember my bichon did this around this age and I waited her out for 3 days and she never had a problem missing a meal after that.
Yes, wait it out. He's playing with you (and the food).

Do the usual: put the food down for 10 minutes. If he doesn't eat it, pick it up. Don't put it back down until the next scheduled feeding.

He won't starve himself. When he realizes THIS is what he gets to eat NOW, then he will be back in the groove.

Bonne chance,

·
Registered
51 Posts
i had this happen last week and it scared me. have a 8 month dobergirl and 2.6 year boxer male. had a friend of a friend (you know the deal) call up and say we are sending a cow to the shop go scavenge if you like. anyhow it was like christmas. and that night they got some 8 hour old fresh yum as a treat. the next day for breakfast... food strike from both, that night same thing. next morn zilch, that night i panicked and caved. split them into two rooms with some herring in fresh water mixed into 1 cup of food. (my thought was i cant have a pup go 2 days with no nutrition ive got to get something in them with just enough to not fill them up) the next morning was nothing, that night they ate their breakfast. the next day they got back on track.
i was just getting ready to try a food transition. i might wait a month more on it now.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He ate every last bit in his bowl and even spit shined it this morning. :) So I'll just continue the 10 mins down twice a day and he eats when he eats.

I am happy to offer up a lot of variety, however, ya better eat it when I put your bowl down! :) I think for now, like you, Apriliamille, I won't do too much variety for him so he doesn't get picky. At least for a while until he turns into a pig-dog like the rest of my crew LOL.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm glad your pup is eating better now. I have seen a lot of people give in and get different food and make their puppies into picky eaters.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I definitely did not want to go down that road. He hasn't missed a meal now since and if he does it again, I'll be waiting him out as well! This followed after iI was using up some different kibbles, canned and honest kitchen, I think he was just holding out to see what else there would be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts