Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a qustion. First I have an australian cattle dog. She will be 1 year old tomorrow, I have fed her Innova puppy food since about 4 months (other puppy food before that) She had a beautiful coat and is the picture of health. My question is: When should I stop the puppy food and start adult food?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a qustion. First I have an australian cattle dog. She will be 1 year old tomorrow, I have fed her Innova puppy food since about 4 months (other puppy food before that) She had a beautiful coat and is the picture of health. My question is: When should I stop the puppy food and start adult food?
id say whenever you want. since she is not a larger breed, their adult food would have had a good nutrient profile even during puppyhood. since the innova seems to work with her, you could just use any of their varieties.

btw, i have always been intrigued by Australian Cattle Dogs since the Mad Max movie. i think they are beautiful.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My question is: When should I stop the puppy food and start adult food?
It really doesn't matter. "Puppy" and "Senior" and "Large Breed" and "Small Breed" are just marketing gimmicks to make you think the food is specially formulated for your dog. It isn't. There is basically no difference between them. Often just 2 ingredients will change places on the ingredients list.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My favorite kibble for both puppy and adult is Orijen Large Breed Puppy.

I agree with the above post. It is usually just the difference between 1 or 2 ingredients. In my opinion, the large breed puppy formula is just a smidge better than the adult formula.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
go ahead and switch her if you want, one year is when they are considered an adult :smile:

·
Registered
438 Posts
My favorite kibble for both puppy and adult is Orijen Large Breed Puppy.

I agree with the above post. It is usually just the difference between 1 or 2 ingredients. In my opinion, the large breed puppy formula is just a smidge better than the adult formula.
in some cases yes, a company's adult formulas are just as suitable as their large breed pup formulas. in some cases a manufacturers large breed puppy formula is indeed designed better for a large breed pup than their regular formulas (it may be primarily a difference in the Ca levels, but that, imo, is a critical difference in large breed pups). large breed pups have particular needs that small and medium breed pups dont, so i would agree that foods labeled "puppy" are not necessary in that case.

at any rate, an ACD is not a large breed.

i would add that i agree that "senior" formulas are especially gimmicky. in fact, i think in many cases they are the poorest of all choices for seniors, with reduced protein levels, where i think seniors need more of that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
ALS formulas are definelty fine for your pup! Natura has great products and if the pups doing fine on natura you can use a variety of their products!

L

·
0 Posts
I just got a 5 month old male Golden. I've never put him on puppy food, although the breeder had him on Purina Large Breed Puppy. I feed my puppy the same food I feed my other 2 dogs that are adults. The puppy is doing remarkably well, he is healthy and happy.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
My ACD x was on puppy kibble until about 6months old. Then I switched her to adult food, Evo and Orijen, all different types, no problems at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts