Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2mnth old chocolate lab. Looking to change to a premium food. Should I go with a food specifically made for puppies expected to gro larger than 50lbs? blue buffalo makes one that looks good. "Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Rice Formula" any input appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Blue Buffalo is a great food for your puppy. Quality ingredients, adequate caloric density, proper Ca:p ratio, good vitamin and mineral sources, and a sufficient amount of protein.

My only reserve with it is that it does contain grains. That is not necessarily a bad thing; there are plenty of dogs out there that actually do better on a diet with grains than without grains.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue Buffalo is a great food for your puppy. Quality ingredients, adequate caloric density, proper Ca:p ratio, good vitamin and mineral sources, and a sufficient amount of protein.

My only reserve with it is that it does contain grains. That is not necessarily a bad thing; there are plenty of dogs out there that actually do better on a diet with grains than without grains.
well i am open to suggestions. what would you recommend? Thanks alot for your in out, i appreciate it!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Orijen makes a fantastic food as well, it's just quite a bit more expensive and much harder to get ahold of. Same with Taste of the Wild.

Blue Buffalo is an ok brand though. I've seen it work for a lot of dogs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
well i am open to suggestions. what would you recommend? Thanks alot for your in out, i appreciate it!
No problem.

If you were to go with grain-free, unfortunately, there is only one choice for large puppies: Orijen. Luckily, it is a fantastic feed and, arguably, made by one of the best pet food companies around. That is what I have my pup on. While it is fairly pricey (about $2 per pound), one doesn't have to feed as much to meet the dietary requirements of the pup.

Other fine choices include:
Innova
Wellness
Acana (made by the same company as Orijen)
Artemis

I'm sure there are more, as well.

Reactions: txchoclab

·
Registered
210 Posts
Orijen makes a fantastic food as well, it's just quite a bit more expensive and much harder to get ahold of. Same with Taste of the Wild.

While TotW is a great feed (heck, I feed it!), it has an inappropriate Ca:p ratio for a growing puppy, particularly a large breed puppy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

is taste of the wild suitable for a puppy?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a chocolate lab aswell! :biggrin:

Originally he was on Iams. So what worked for me was I got some Iams (whatever previous dog food yours is on) and I got blue buffalo large breed puppy formula. Slowly mixed the new with the old.

My dog got diarreha while making the move, so don't be alarmed or shocked. Just make sure he has his potty time :tongue:

Eventually you can go fully blue. He had loose stool for 3 weeks. We just made sure he had plenty of water (possible dehydration) and it eventually passed.

After he turned 1 year old, we started him on adult food. First we transitioned to blue buffalo wilderness. He had diarreha the first week due to the fact Wilderness is richer in meat content then generic blue buffalo. Once he got used to that, he actually had no problems hoping around to other foods such as Innova Evo & Taste of the wild.

Good luck!

Reactions: txchoclab

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I have a 2mnth old chocolate lab. Looking to change to a premium food. Should I go with a food specifically made for puppies expected to gro larger than 50lbs? blue buffalo makes one that looks good. "Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Chicken & Rice Formula" any input appreciated. thanks!
If you take a look at the analysis on the bags, there really is no difference between large breed and regular formulas. Large Breed is usually a few bucks more expensive, thats all...I recommend starting with Orijen puppy. :smile:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have a 4 year old choclate lab! Sweet sweet sweet! Love her to pieces!

When you buying puupy food you can also check for ALS food.

There are so many premium chocies out there! Look them up @ Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

choose a food that is atainable as well as reliable. Hopefully you have a pet boutique store somewhere in your area. Alot of these places will even help you if you describe your situation.

I have a tendency to swicth my foods around. I like the premium brands. Some folk here may think switching is not the best but I feel that in doing this makes the dogs more tolerant to differnt brands and differnt foods. That is my reasoning they (my dogs ) seem to not be allergic to diffrent foods by doing this!

You have to find what agrees best with the pup! And believe me you will! And labs the little cuties will eat just about anything! I actually have to sit here and think what my two labs dont care for and its hard haha! Well I now my labs are not finicky at all! As for my other two dogs well now theres a differnt story haha!

Right now my chocolate has had Orijen, Evo, Fromm, California natural( I know its an allergy food but I got it for my other dog and well she did have it too haha)( and I believ if I am not worng here she was on the california natural for weight control) She has been on alot of weight management foods! And yep it worked for her! Natura product are just awesome! Wellness another good one!

My only advice is trying things and seeing what actually works. You will know if its not right !

Good luck!!!!!! Puppy Goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Canidae is a decent food, but for your money's worth I would go with Orijen to be honest. Its a better food, even though a bit pricey...Good luck :biggrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Canidae is a decent food, but for your money's worth I would go with Orijen to be honest. Its a better food, even though a bit pricey...Good luck :biggrin:
Orijen is not available in my area...but evo is. It is ALOT more expensive than Canidae and it is grain free.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A friend of mine feeds her labs this and highly reccomends it. What do you think? CANIDAE® All Natural Holistic Dog Food - Chicken & Rice dry formula
Canidae is generally thought of as a good brand of feed for dogs. It is a bit high in Ca for a pup, IMO. Not too bad, but I would like to see it a little lower. It is also a very grainy feed. I would also prefer a feed with higher CP counts for a pup.

I was also shocked to see that, while the first ingredient is chicken meal, the following seven ingredients are all grains except for one, which was chicken fat.

It was also disappointing to see that the added nutrients (vitamins and minerals) were in inexpensive, inorganic forms for the most part. For such a pricey feed, I would expect better.

Is it a good feed? Yes. Is it great? No. Would I feed it to my dogs? No.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Orijen is not available in my area...but evo is. It is ALOT more expensive than Canidae and it is grain free.
Evo isn't formulated for puppies though...

Is Acana available in your area? Take a look at it. It's made by Champion Pet Foods.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Evo is not appropriate for a pup so you don't have to worry about that for now. :biggrin:

I would rather see you feed Artemis, Blue Buffalo, or Innova (in that order) since Orijen is not available.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Evo isn't formulated for puppies though...

Is Acana available in your area? Take a look at it. It's made by Champion Pet Foods.
You're correct.

Since Acana and Orien are both made by Champion Petfoods, I can't imagine them supplying an area with one line, but not the other.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You're correct.

Since Acana and Orien are both made by Champion Petfoods, I can't imagine them supplying an area with one line, but not the other.
Your right about that. I didn't even think of that...:eek:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh, and regarding Orijen not being available is your area, that is a very common thing, unfortunately. I talked to the manager of the place I purchase it from and he said that the company is having a difficult time keeping up with demand, hence how limited it is.

In order to purchase it, I actually have to drive 3 hours to the nearest dealer. It isn't as big of a deal as it sounds since the dealer is about 30 minutes from my hometown, but my boyfriend and I still STALK UP LIKE MAD when we get there. Last time, we purchased $160 worth of kibble for ONE dog. :eek: Fortunately, it keeps for over a year, so we're good. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts