Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused . I read everywhere that canned food tends to contain more protein than dry food. But a can of -say- Nutro Max or some such upscale food says it has about ( off the top of my head) 8 or 9 % protein . My dog Maddie is about 40 lbs. , so I give her about 2 cans. Say, 16 or 18 % protein. But something like her Innovo or Canidae dry food gives her ( according to the bag info) about 23 % protein.
What am I missing here ?

Marty

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think the biggest difference is that canned foods are about 78% water and if they contain anything like added grains, fruits, veggies, vitamins, etc. then that cuts further into the protein percentage.

Nutro Max cans aren't really that "upscale", but I suppose that for their price, they're one of the least terrible canned foods on the market, especially when compared to Alpo and Pedigree (ick and barf).

But you're right, I have heard that canned food supposedly has more protein than dry.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most canned foods do contain higher meat protein than dry, yes. If you did the math to figure the analysis of canned food based upon a dry matter basis (remove the moisture content) and compared it to kibble on a dry matter basis, most of the time, with higher end canned foods, you will find the protein content in canned food is higher.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have feed the Wellness can that is around 95% protein. ( I think that is the protein count? I just know it is almost 100%) I mix it in their kibble and they love it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts