Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions/experience with the Professional line of dry dog foods ? In looking over their list of ingredients, they seem to stack up pretty well. I know someone will say they are made by Diamond, but I'm not sure why I should care about that. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You should care who makes the food just as much as what's in it. A company with repeated recalls is not one that makes quality food, no matter the ingredients. Diamond is not a great company. They have many recalls, just do a google search for their recalled foods and see for yourself that they are not a trustworhty or quality company. I wouldn't even consider feeding my dogs any of their products considering there are much better choices out there. I think the concensus on this forum is that Natura products are the best not only because their superior ingredients but their great track record as a reputable company.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are now feeding Diamond (Chicken Soup). It is balancing budget and doggie needs. It is so far superior to the Beneful and Pedigree we were feeding her. I am ok with it. If we can do better someday, then we will. :smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that's what I'm thinking.....I'd like to feed our dog good food, but the Orijen, Acana, Innova, and EVO seem awfully expensive. I understand that one feeds less of the more nutritionally dense foods, but does that really offset the cost ?

Also, if you feed less of a nutritionally dense food, won't the dog be hungry all the time ? Doesn't a dog need to have its stomach "full" to some extent ?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, that's what I'm thinking.....I'd like to feed our dog good food, but the Orijen, Acana, Innova, and EVO seem awfully expensive. I understand that one feeds less of the more nutritionally dense foods, but does that really offset the cost ?

Also, if you feed less of a nutritionally dense food, won't the dog be hungry all the time ? Doesn't a dog need to have its stomach "full" to some extent ?
A 6.6 pound bag of Evo lasts my 20 pound dog 1.5 - 2 months. They shouldn't be hungry all the time, the food will be in their stomachs longer than the inferior foods digesting, instead of passing through.

I feel like it's fiber with people. When you go on a diet they say eat a bowl of Oatmeal in the morning, or other high fiber meal to stay full longer, so you on't feel as hungry through out the day.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
agree w/ the others...

Champion and Natura are heads and shoulders above any others, in my opinion.

That being said...if someone was absolutely in a super financial pinch...I'd accept Diamond foods as an option.

BUT, I'd try my damdest to put them on Healthwise(Natura)-about $1/lb. I actually think Healthwise is a very nice food by a great company.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Alzo,

No, it won't completely offset the costs. For pete's sake, I'm feeding currently rotating between Orijen, Evo, and Acana...$50-$60/bag. Yes, I feed less. But not THAT much less.

But you're talking to someone that would probably liquidate their 401k to do whats best for my dogs...so I'm a bit out of the norm.

As I said...anyone I talk to who is on a budget, I send them right to HEALTHWISE by Natura.

And I just got an email from heartypet.com....$5.99 shipping for your ENTIRE order. Load up on some HEALTHWISE! And I just checked heartypet...they've got healthwise on sale for 32.99 for a 35lb bag. Nice price and you can order a bunch for 5.99 shipping.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone. For some reason I hadn't looked into the Healthwise at Natura's website. I'll check it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts