Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've been looking over our feed bills for our four dogs and thinking about going to raw feeding of chicken.

We have four dogs. An older pet dog with declining health, two trained livestock guardian dogs that a live with our chickens, goats, and sheep and protect them from coyotes, bobcats, birds, and a service dog for my son who is a paraplegic.

We raise pastured chickens fed with non-GMO feed. They have a mobile coop and also free range over acres of pasture (protected by our livestock guard dogs). We currently have 85 layers and have been thinking we'd start doing batches of 200 broilers at a time.

I'm looking for advice on how to process chickens for dog feed. My current thinking is:

-Scald and pluck as normal
-Leave the feet on but take off the head
-Remove the entrails but leave the lungs, heart and liver
-chop the bird in half or quarters and put it into the grinder with a coarse grind.
-Vacuum pack in ~2lb packages and put in the freezer

Or should I leave in the entrails and head (just chopping the bird in a few pieces with a big cleaver is certainly faster)?

Thank you,

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're going to switch to raw feeding you're going to need to feed more than just chicken. Dogs need multiple sources of protein. You'll need to incorporate turkey, pork, and beef at a minimum, along with organs and offal from other protein sources as well.

Some people will leave heads and entrails, but part of that depends on your own comfort level.

If you're wanting to switch to raw, I highly recommend perfectlyrawsome.com as a great starting point for determining each of your dog's needs, as no two dogs are exactly alike so their needs may vary.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts