Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two dogs that I've been feeding raw for a few months now, a purebred Westie (4 yrs old) and a Cairn terrier mix (9 yrs old). They've both been eating a variety of raw meats and bones, to include chicken, beef, pork, fish, turkey, and duck, plus green tripe and organs. They are both around 18-20 lbs. The Cairn terrier has switched beautifully, basically a model kibble-to-PMR switch example. His skin issues have cleared up, his eyes are bright, his coat is soft and shiny, and that "yeasty" dog smell is gone. The Westie is the one I'm concerned about, and why I'm posting (first time ever - found this site in a Google search and was impressed with the knowledgeable posts and people!). He has not had any skin issues before or any kind of allergic reaction. I was feeding him Acana or Orijen kibble (depending on which I could get the best price on) and am honestly spending the same on raw food as I was on kibble. Since making the switch to PMR, though, the Westie has developed rashes, hot spots, scab-like bumps on his chest, and has been incessantly licking, scratching, and chewing at any part of his body he can reach. Again, he's never had any such problems before. We do know he's got some kind of Addison's disease-like problem, but he's tested negative for every single traditional symptom of Addison's and similar diseases, so not totally sure what's going on there. (just providing plenty of background info in case any of it might be pertinent!). I've truly gotten to the point where I am seriously considering switching him back to kibble, because of how severe his reactions have been to a PMR diet and because he never had any of these issues when eating Acana/Orijen. Nothing in his home environment has changed since the switch. If anyone has any advice, please do let me know! I don't want to make the switch back to kibble because I know PMR is a thousand times better, but I'm at my wits end. There are no dog health gurus in my area, and my vet (while a great lady and a close friend of mine) is no help with diet either - she feeds Purina to all 9 of her dogs because she considers it a "high quality dog food." please help!!!

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Welcome! What type of fish are you feeding? Is it an oily type? If so how often? If it's not an oily type, you need to add either some fish oil or coconut oil to his diet. Maybe even up the fatty cuts of beef and pork you feed. Lack of enough fat can also cause skin issues with itching.

Also, it's still possible he is detoxing from kibble as well. Sounds like the same symptoms.

Could also be environmental allergies. Grasses, pollen, even dust in the house. You could try a Zyterc and see if it helps. Just be sure it has NO decongestant in it. Just the basic Zytertec. You can use Claratin or Benadryl too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm still new to the raw feeding, and I am still having issues with one of my cats (the main reason I started looking at raw in the first place). He is pretty much allergic to EVERYTHING, and for years we had to deal with a cat with sharts (add together runny poo and farts...), losing weight, etc.

When I started moving him to raw, he took to chicken like it was the Second Coming. I searched online for raw recipes for cats, bought a grinder (because none of our 5 cats will touch a bone), and started feeding everyone. It was literally a miracle, seeing how he cleared up, almost overnight.

Then I started adding other meats, and the sharts have come back. I am starting to prepare his own food separate from everyone elses, because the only thing that I could think of was that either I not paying real close attention to the percentages of RMB, organs and meat, or that he could be allergic to the beef liver/intestines/heart. I know almost everyone who feeds their pets PMR suggest using a variety of meats, but for this cat, I'm just going to stick with ground chicken (including ground bone), chicken liver/hearts/gizzards and a bit of Missing Link for the extra taurine.

Your dog's issues sound very much like an allergy. It could be food-related; perhaps when you feed him, eliminate one type (beef or pork, or even a particular organ (kidney, etc). I would also look into getting his skin checked out. Vets can do 'scratchings' (sorry, not sure of the correct term) in case even something as basic as wind blowing in mold or even a yard pesticide from three houses down can affect his skin.

Since you have a westie, how many times since you switched have you taken him to get groomed, assuming you don't do it yourself? The shampoo used by a groomer could also affect the skin as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts