Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does is get any better than this food right here?

Chicken Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Necks, Ground Chicken Bones, Chicken Hearts, Organic Kale, Organic Carrots, Organic Yams, Chicken Livers, Organic Broccoli, Organic Apples, Organic Ground Flax Seed, Organic Cranberries, Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Parsley, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Kelp, Organic Alfalfa, Organic Garlic, Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Organic Grapefruit Seed Extract.

It seems this would be about as close to a raw diet as you could get with out feeding a thawed out chicken.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
You'd think, but it's not. Chicken is the only meat. There is too much bone, and a LOT of stuff that is unnecessary for a dog to eat. Most of the ingredients are not useful to a carnivore even if they are organic. Keep looking. :smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will respectfully disagree....to a degree - LOL.

Primal is one of the better choices for a premade raw diet, IMO. I personally do not feed vegetables, but it is a good starting point for someone making the change to raw. Just watch the ratios as some blends have a higher vegetable content than others. Too high in bone? Not as much as many premades. Too high in vegetable content? Yeah, unless you're into feeding the veggies to your dog. Expensive? Yeah, that, too.

Don't be terribly afraid to start off with a premade raw - once you reach a more comfortable point (within yourself) feeding raw, start throwing your dog(s) some whole raw until you reach the point that you are comfortable making the jump to prey model.

Any raw is certainly better than kibble and, again, I personally think Primal is a good starting point for anyone not yet ready to take on prey model. For most, starting with premade is a comfort zone and breaks down the fear wall of going raw.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I got my cat some of the Primal nuggets when I was trouble preparing her food to the mushed up consistency she prefers. She definitely poops more on Primal than on the stuff I make for her because my stuff is veggie free. But she does love the flavor and it is convenient and horrifically expensive.

Green Dog, if you're truly looking for a good, packaged, pre-made dog food, WalMart sells 10lbs bags of chicken leg quarters for around $6. Almost everything your dog needs (besides organ meats) in one bag! I find WalMart is a terrific place to buy dog food hehehe.

Darn, raw has leaked into the kibble section, sorry.

·
Registered
333 Posts
my walmart doesnt sell meat!! RAWR!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Honestly, check with your local meat distributors - around here we have Poultry Products and they sell a heck of a lot more than just poultry. We have a lot of free range options through them, too. You do have to buy bulk, though, so if you don't have freezer space or someone to split bulk purchases with it can be difficult. They even have rabbit these days - woohoo!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
my walmart doesnt sell meat!! RAWR!!!
Look around. If Walmarts there are like they are here, it doesn't matter which way you drive, there will be another Walmart within 10 or 15 miles. :smile: There are 6 bor 7 Walmarts within 25 miles of my house in every direction.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I checked local meat distributors (not that we have many) and they are way too pricey AND I have to buy a lot for that price.

I wish RFD!!! I've called Walmart and checked their website, there is not Walmart that sells meat 200 miles from me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
LOL Rann. I haven't stepped into a Walmart in like...7 years. I'm a Target person. I would have gone to Walmart just for the meat, but *shrug*

No one could tell me a reason as to why Walmarts here don't sell meat either.

·
Banned
620 Posts
Does is get any better than this food right here?

Chicken Ingredients: Chicken, Chicken Necks, Ground Chicken Bones, Chicken Hearts, Organic Kale, Organic Carrots, Organic Yams, Chicken Livers, Organic Broccoli, Organic Apples, Organic Ground Flax Seed, Organic Cranberries, Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Parsley, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Kelp, Organic Alfalfa, Organic Garlic, Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Organic Grapefruit Seed Extract.

It seems this would be about as close to a raw diet as you could get with out feeding a thawed out chicken.

A lot a ingredients I would question in the above mix as to what exactly are they attempting to feed? IMO, one of those modern raw diets that has followed down the path of omnivore nutrition. Look at all that stuff, reads like a supermarket aisle.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah, that's why I don't feed it anymore. I got it cuz my cat didnt like raw food in chunks but she loved the samples of Primal nuggets I brought home. But she pooped so much on them because of all the veggies and crap in there, I just decided it was more worth it to make my own raw for her. I didnt even bother with my dogs, they eat their whole meat, bones, and organs just fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts