Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called 10 vet clinics and asked about PMR diet. They were all very against it! This doesn't surprise me, but I am wondering what all of you do. Do you go to a pro-PMR vet or just brush it off when your vet attacks your views of feeding?
Any advice is appreciated!
(I adopted a 3 year old Great Dane yesterday and she has already had 2 sucessful raw meals!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just called 10 vet clinics and asked about PMR diet. They were all very against it! This doesn't surprise me, but I am wondering what all of you do. Do you go to a pro-PMR vet or just brush it off when your vet attacks your views of feeding?
Any advice is appreciated!
(I adopted a 3 year old Great Dane yesterday and she has already had 2 sucessful raw meals!)
VET???? What vet? I make sure my dogs get their puppy shots and that is the end of the vet for me unless of course we have an emergency...which knock on wood we dont have often!:smile:

My thoughts....the vet whats your money so of course they will recommend kibble.:smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am extremely lucky to have a Vet who is Pro-Raw....There are other Vets in his practice that are not fond of the Raw diet - but he is....and he feeds his own dogs Raw, and said that he is still waiting (after all of these years) to find one person to convince him that a dog should eat a processed kibble.

Unfortuntely, there are more Vets against it, then for it.

When I have seen any of the other Vets who are Kibble-pushers, I just do not 'go there' with them.....

Reactions: newdanemama

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should clarify...I was calling vets about things such as microchipping and gastroplexy. I wasn't calling around just to ask what they thought of PMR. I am already sold on that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The doctor I work for is against raw feeding, but...I will be changing his mind.

I already have him looking at grain free kibble, as he has my Cavalier's littermate, who is obese, has a dull coat and horribly crusty eyes.
My cav is the perfect weight with clear eyes and a shiny coat (on Orijen, but I will be switching him to raw as well!).

My advice is to just let it go in one ear and out the other when your vet starts talking about food.

As an aside, I really do support having a physical done once per year to check for any abnormalities you might overlook on your own. I know a lot of folks disagree and think that vets are out to pad their pockets, but if you can catch something like a tiny tumor before it grows and spreads...that could be your dog's life saved.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My thoughts....the vet whats your money so of course they will recommend kibble.:smile:
Being friendly here, but that is not necessarily true that vets just want your money. They recommend kibble (science diet, purina, royal canin etc) because those are the foods that have had extensive studies done on them. Just like MD's, vets want scientifical statistics and proof. No large, recorded studies have been done on Prey Model Raw, especially by veterinarians. They won't recommend something that they don't have statistics for. :smile:

Now on to the original question:

I actually work for a vet who does not necessarily agree with PMR. I still think she is an absolutely AMAZING veterinarian and would trust her with my dog anyday. My dog's diet is just something we both know not to bring up. :wink:. She knows I feed raw, and she knows my dog is one healthy pup!!

I wouldn't go to a veterinarian for nutritional advice for my dog. I chose a vet for their veterinary care and thats it. But I am not saying that if i did not work at this particular clinic I wouldn't mind having a vet who agrees with PMR; I wouldn't necessarily seek one out though.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They recommend kibble (science diet, purina, royal canin etc) because those are the foods that have had extensive studies done on them.
Actually there haven't been. There has been millions and millions and dollars spent on marketing but little if any spent on research to prove any kibble is healthy for your dog. There have been a few studies that point to a dog can exist on certain kibbles but thats about it.

Just like MD's, vets want scientifical statistics and proof. No large, recorded studies have been done on Prey Model Raw, especially by veterinarians. They won't recommend something that they don't have statistics for. :smile:
They recommend kibble and they have no statistics for that except sales figures. PMR has been around a million years. Dogs have thrived on PMR all that time. Kibble has only been around for a little over 50 years and no one asks kibble companies to prove anything but they continuously ask for proof that PMR is healthy. Kibble is the new kind on the block, the fad diet. Why is no proof required of it?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually there haven't been. There has been millions and millions and dollars spent on marketing but little if any spent on research to prove any kibble is healthy for your dog. There have been a few studies that point to a dog can exist on certain kibbles but thats about it.
I am not trying to argue on behalf of kibble, I am just trying to stand up for veterinarians. I have read articles refering to studies done on Kibble. I didn't say there were studies done on the overall health and nutritional value of dry dog food. I said there have been extensive studies on kibble. I guess I should have elaborated on the fact that those studies were geared toward specific health concerns: weight gain/loss, tartar, energy, kidney function, etc. For example, they will do studies on dogs in kidney failure (or with kidney problems) and put them on a prescription diet specifically for kidney function. They have proof that the dog's kidney values improve. Its things like that, that they (whoever it may be, veterinarians or the food company itself) conduct studies and provide statistics for. Those are the reports that the veterinarians see, and that is what they base their nutritional advice on. There is no comparison being done on raw diets verse prescription diets. Therefore most veterinarians will not condone a raw diet.

Of course marketing has a HUGE part in what kibble veterinarians suggest. Say Purina comes out with a new formula for tartar control; They test it, get results, and report those results to the vets with a big whole marketing ploy that gets them to recommend that food to their patients.

Not saying that ANY of this kibble that vets recommend is species appropriate nutrition, because it definately is NOT! Unfortunately our pet world has gone commercial and people forgot what dogs are really meant to eat. To be honest, before meeting Danemama08 I NEVER EVER even thought about feeding my dogs raw meat. I went straight to petsmart and was suckered into whatever the worker told me to get.

Again, I do not want to continue arguing. This may be something that we will just disagree on. I am basing my information off of talks I have had with my veterinarian regarding nutrition and veterinary articles I have read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts