Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I apologize for bringing up a topic that is probably already on this board. I am new to raw recipe and thought I should probably use a pre-mix so that sufficient vitamins and minerals were not lacking in the diet I make. Is anyone familiar with this? I would then add my own ground meat and vegetables.
Thank you,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep, that's how I started out with raw. It's way more expensive, but a good way to start out if you can afford it. Then, you can slowly start adding in your own "meals" here and there as you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
You can, but it's a lot of effort and time and money. Just feed approximately, 80% meat, 15% bone, 5% offal of different proteins (once your dog is fully transitioned onto raw), add in a raw egg now and then, a sardine or salmon liquid, a touch of coconut oil and I can guarantee you the diet is complete and balanced. Been feeding this way for about 7 years now, and my dog's bloodtests, fecals and urinalysis come back perfect every year.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does anyone have a recommendation for a pre-mix? I use See Spot Live Longer but they have discontinued it. I have tried Better In The Raw but it's costly. I started out using eggshell, omegas and vit E but got paranoid my dogs were't getting what they need, even though I use different proteins, bone in grinds, sardines, organs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
raw for newbie with puppies

I would really watch how much bone you give it is a medium to large dog breed. Otherwise you will increase chances of too fast growth. stick to 10% bone, 10% offal and 80% everything else muscle etc.

Feeding puppies needs to be at 10% of present weight or 2-4% of expected weight at adult food. Most home raised pups will not over eat. Veggies should be less then 5% of of food carrots, kale, yams are some good ones and I find it easy if I use a food processor. It is easy to keep parts of veggies you don't eat yourself as long as you stay away from onions, avacados, and grapes. A little garlic is ok. I just keep the extra frozen until I make a new batch. Don't be afraid to feed some whole foods.

As long as you don't overdo the bone you should not have a problem. percentages don't have to be perfect every day. Depending on the size of your pups you can feed some chicken or other parts. Stay away from regular grocery store poultry and pork it is enhanced with extra salt<

Terri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts