Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I feed pork shoulder roast, it is boneless and I cut it into large chunks for the dogs. Also, pork ribs like babybacks are great for a rec. chew with some meat on it.
Picnic roast with the big bone in the middle is a good one.
Ones to avoid are pork chops that have the really sharp edged bone like the T-bone.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Our co-op has these awesome boneless pork ribs I get for the guys.
Apparently they are awesome in the crockpot as well.
I might try them on the grill this weekend.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We feed a lot of pork. One of our main sources. Pork should and butt roasts, ribs, liver and kidneys on a regular basis.

I'm not a fan of the pork neck bones. Way too boney and not a lot of meat. I feel that there are better things to buy at a similar cost.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
We feed a lot of pork. One of our main sources. Pork should and butt roasts, ribs, liver and kidneys on a regular basis.

I'm not a fan of the pork neck bones. Way too boney and not a lot of meat. I feel that there are better things to buy at a similar cost.
i agree on the pork necks, unless you have a butcher willing to cut them a certain way....otherwise, all angles and such.

pork, though...so rich in b vitamins and zinc and all kinds of goodies...nice fat content....ribs, butts, shoulders, sirloin steaks on sale....

summer is a great time to stock up on pork...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does pork count as a red meat, like beef?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I thought so! My guys each had a big, meaty center cut chop this AM for breakfast (some of my 53# SCORED freezer burned meat!) and thought it was Yum-Yum-YUMMY!

By the way Harrkim, keep posting on freecycle and craigslist for freezer burned meat. We scored about 20 pounds last night, and will be picking up what sounds like another batch of over 50# on Saturday. We are not going to have to go shopping for a month!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought pork was a white meat? Does anyone remember those commercials from like 5-10 years ago that said 'pork, the other white meat'? lol I know its just a commercial but I always thought it was white meat because of that

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Not really, I believe this was discussed back some time ago. You are really going to get the red meat benefit from feeding true red meat, "beef its whats for dinner" Its always helpful, as I find myself doing this, to go back through the raw feeding threads and read through them.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I thought so! My guys each had a big, meaty center cut chop this AM for breakfast (some of my 53# SCORED freezer burned meat!) and thought it was Yum-Yum-YUMMY!

By the way Harrkim, keep posting on freecycle and craigslist for freezer burned meat. We scored about 20 pounds last night, and will be picking up what sounds like another batch of over 50# on Saturday. We are not going to have to go shopping for a month!
I'm jealous. I posted an ad on Craigslist and am getting a whopping 7 pounds of freezer burned meat. LOL

Oh well, better than nothing I guess. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've read about pork causing Aujeszky's disease and trichinellosis. How high is the risk and will freezing take care of it?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I feed Country Style Pork Ribs (bone-in & boneless), Pork Necks (sometimes, but much to boney for my liking) and Boneless Pork Chops (sometimes... was a little to rich for Harleigh and she got an upset stomach).

I found some Pork Tongue at the store and if I'm brave enough (Ick!) I'll probably pick that up.

We feed a lot of Chicken and Pork here... She's just getting over her bout of tummy issues, so we're just doing Chicken for a couple days. She loves her Pork though :biggrin:

Thanks for the idea of freecycle. I posted on Craigslist, but never got much responses. :smile:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I've read about pork causing Aujeszky's disease and trichinellosis. How high is the risk and will freezing take care of it?
If you live in the US and buy from human food places, the risk is as near zero as you can get. If you buy from farmers, the risk goes up just a tiny little bit. Yes freezing will take care of both of these. Neither Trich nor Aujesky's exist in the US domestic pig population but MAY be present in feral pigs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you live in the US and buy from human food places, the risk is as near zero as you can get. If you buy from farmers, the risk goes up just a tiny little bit. Yes freezing will take care of both of these. Neither Trich nor Aujesky's exist in the US domestic pig population but MAY be present in feral pigs.
How long should you freeze the pork to eliminate the risk?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Mine love love love pork ribs. The ones we get have tones of meat, so its a good balance of meat and bone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts