Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my sweet Shorkie (Shih Tzu/Yorkie) puppy almost 1 1/2 weeks ago when he was 6 weeks old. He is only 1.5 lbs. Started him on Orijen dry mixed with a little Wellness canned. Within 2 days he was itching almost constantly. Poor thing broke my heart. Gave it a week trying the combo, just Orijen, then just Wellness, and could not take it anymore. I figured it might be the fish since they both have it in them. This week I switched him to canned Merrick Puppy Plate and he is itching much less but still a little bit. Soooo, my question is how long do allergy symptoms take to go away? Could this residual itching be from his exposure last week or might it be something in the new food also (i.e. chicken, which is in all 3). I hate to keep switching foods but thank goodness he has a strong tummy because he has not had any loose stools.

Atticus' Mommy

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I think its very unusual for a puppy that young to have food allergies. Usually it takes a while to develop an allergy to some food. I doubt that he is allergic to a meat item in his food. If he is having a reaction to something, its most likely grains.

Young puppies usually have strong stomachs because they haven't gotten used to eating the same thing day after day.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I agree with RawFedDogs up there...the dog is way too young for an allergy like that to pop up. It is very possible that it could be something from the previous home causing it. Do you know what he was eating before?

Besides that, yes most skin and coat issues are caused by food, but a drastic change in weather can cause an issue as well. Living in Clermont myself I know what you're going through. lol Also make sure you're not bathing the dog too much...I would say no more than once a month unless completely necessary. Bathing them removes the natural oils that they produce sometimes resulting in dandruff and itching.

I would pick one, whether it be the Wellness or the Orijen or the Merrick and give it a little bit, then make a decision. They are all good foods. Also some fish oil or salmon oil wouldn't hurt either. :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Grains or other plant based ingredients would be the culprit if it were a food allergy, but like stated previously I wouldn't expect it to be that at this point. Rarely do dogs have real allergies to animal based proteins, and if they are allergic to something like fish, its usually the cooked form of that animal protein.

Do you use scented or perfumed products for anything? Laundry detergent, sprays, etc? Those can be irritating to some dogs, some worse than others.

I would pick a food that has the least amount of grains, regardless of the itching thing because grain free foods are much better for dogs anyways. But I would chose something and stick to it for a few weeks, because it can take up to 6 weeks for food allergy symptoms to go away depending on the source.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks for the info everyone!

In response:
1) The puppy was not itching when he first got here so I doubt it was the old food which I believe was just some crunched up, moistened version of the parents food.

2) He has only gotten one bath and it was to rule out fleas, per the vets advice, when the itching was really bad.

3) I thought about the grain thing and fed him just the Orijen for several days and he itched just as much as ever. Thought about all the various herbs in the Orijen and tried just the Wellness and he scratched all day.

4) My house is almost completely fragrance free. I myself have severe allergies to fragrances so no one in my house is allowed to use so much a deodorant with fragrance in it. So, no detergents, body sprays, lotions, etc. here.

5) The only reason I suspected fish was because his itching went down by at least 75% when we switched to the Merrick.

I really do appreciate all the input though. Maybe I just got a super sensitive pup, like myself!:smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But I would chose something and stick to it for a few weeks, because it can take up to 6 weeks for food allergy symptoms to go away depending on the source.
I will stick with the Merrick for a bit to see if the symptoms disappear completely though. This is what I was most unsure about. Thanks again.
:smile:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
My son and his girlfriend just got an 8 1/2 week old Chihuahua puppy that is 1.5 pounds. When they got her she was eating Nutro (ugh) and doing really poorly. I suggested they put her on EVO small bites chicken formula which are really tiny kibble. I chose EVO because my Lhasa is allergic to Orijen and eats EVO. My Chow eats both Orijen and EVO.

The Chihuahua puppy went crazy for the EVO kibble! She is eating like crazy, the vet it thrilled that she is on EVO and her whole personality has become like a true little puppy. She even tries to play with the big 75 pound dogs. She is now 10 weeks old and comes running up to see me when they bring her over. She is probably up to 2 whole pounds now! You may want to give EVO a try because it is grain free and has less of the extra botanical things that Orijen has and less of the other things that Merrick Puppy Plate has. We tried Puppy Plate once and ended up with the little peas spit out all over the floor!

Good luck with your tiny puppy. My Lhasa is 13 now but I remember when she was a baby still.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little update. Atticus is now almost 14 weeks old and doing well. I switched him to canned Merrick Puppy Plate mixed with dry California Natural puppy Lamb & Rice. He is only about 3 lbs now but that is double what he was when we got him so I guess all is well. The itching faded away nicely so we are gonna stick with the fish theory since both the Wellness & Orijen had it.
Thanks again for all your input!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts