Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Haha...Brady tries to swallow everything pretty much whole if he can. He has such a hard time chewing off chunks because of his misaligned jaw that he just gets lazy and wants to swallow it. :rolleyes: Used to freak me out at first, but now it's like second nature. LOL
it kinda worries me a little....my bubba pug is soooooooooooooooo food driven, he tries to swallow a chicken back. whole. his mouth is wide and small.....it's a smashed face mouth..he doesn't have malia's long snout...

and the sounds he makes when it comes back up over and over again...it's truly not a fine dining experience LOL

i used to think feeding him smaller things was better, but now i just want to throw the chicken onto the floor and let him at it...pick it up when i think he's had enough....

with my luck, though, he'll swallow it whole like a boa....LOL

·
Registered
441 Posts
Why is it that they 'poo' posts have the most interesting posts on it???
How sick is that!?!? :) We are some gross people, ya know? ;)

BTW, I always watch my dogs go. I watch #1 and #2. Not sure why, but I find it facinating!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Why is it that they 'poo' posts have the most interesting posts on it???
How sick is that!?!? :) We are some gross people, ya know? ;)

BTW, I always watch my dogs go. I watch #1 and #2. Not sure why, but I find it facinating!
isn't that part of the dog lover's hand book? poo?

i am one with the poo....it absolutely guides my life

i have that voyeuristic tendency too....kidding, but seriously? i have to watch....and not just cause it's fascinating....those two functions tell us so much about our dogs' conditions...and gives us something to discuss at the dinner table.....LOL

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ok, the dinner table is going a little too far for me, but watching is for sure a must around my house! :)
The vet also loves that I do that, so when I go in, they ask and I provide as much info as possible.
I just started going to this vet that I went to yesterday and she seemed happy, not only that I had an EBT and she reciently lost hers, but also that I feed PMR and take great care of my Owen. She was absolutely awesome!! I will be going back to her for everything. All of my friends and co-workers kept telling me that I just needed to take my dogs to whoever had an appointment available. But I am the kind of person who can't do something till it can be justified, or I feel comfortable doing it. especially when it comes to my dogs. I am soooo glad I waited. Now I am happy! :)
And yes... I watch my dogs pee and poo!! I will say it loud and proud!! :D

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Ok, the dinner table is going a little too far for me, but watching is for sure a must around my house! :)
The vet also loves that I do that, so when I go in, they ask and I provide as much info as possible.
I just started going to this vet that I went to yesterday and she seemed happy, not only that I had an EBT and she reciently lost hers, but also that I feed PMR and take great care of my Owen. She was absolutely awesome!! I will be going back to her for everything. All of my friends and co-workers kept telling me that I just needed to take my dogs to whoever had an appointment available. But I am the kind of person who can't do something till it can be justified, or I feel comfortable doing it. especially when it comes to my dogs. I am soooo glad I waited. Now I am happy! :)
And yes... I watch my dogs pee and poo!! I will say it loud and proud!! :D
because they are so new into raw and honey and i both walk them at various times....we have to talk about their poo...and often..since they are not stable yet, though getting there.

it was pretty intense for a while....i think, however, dinner discussion can return to normal very soon....:)

i'm glad you found a vet who believes in raw.....not so sure what my vets think, although they do admit that nutrition is not their strong suit....

your vet has to be on the same page as you....just like your doc....that's a slam dunk :)

btw...i love EBT...they are my heart's desire....i've never had one...but have always wanted one....

·
Registered
939 Posts
it kinda worries me a little....my bubba pug is soooooooooooooooo food driven, he tries to swallow a chicken back. whole. his mouth is wide and small.....it's a smashed face mouth..he doesn't have malia's long snout...

and the sounds he makes when it comes back up over and over again...it's truly not a fine dining experience LOL

i used to think feeding him smaller things was better, but now i just want to throw the chicken onto the floor and let him at it...pick it up when i think he's had enough....

with my luck, though, he'll swallow it whole like a boa....LOL
It is quite an appetizing sound, isn't it? :tongue:

Remind me...where do you feed them again? I feed Brady outside. There's no way I could feed him inside...he moves and regurgitates too much. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
they get fed on a huge towel in the kitchen...

malia, dainty and always a lady, methodically eats her food in one area...

we all know how bubba eats, but at least i've got him trained to stay on the towel.

we just sodded the back yard, so yesterday was their first day getting fed outside.

admittedly, it was nice to have THEM clean up, not me.

i keep a steam cleaner in the kitchen....bubba's not as bad as he used to be.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
speaking of poop, since this IS the poop chart ---

this morning, bubba let out a stream of what can only be described as tan liquid. not thin, not formed.....

yesterday, he was fed his usual back for breakfast....a piece of chicken breast and turkey neck for dinner...

they are on more bone than most because we've had a lot of problems transitioning.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I would cut out any boneless meat for a day or two. You could start adding it back in very gradually. Like cut a piece of the boneless meat te size of your thumbnail to start and slowly cut more off.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i'm almost embarrassed to admit this.....RFD....DO NOT READ THIS....

i overfed them yesterday....got a little high on turkey necks....

my bad..

i'll fast them tonight and they should be fine tomorrow....oops.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a four month Yorkie who eats Stella and Chewys freeze dried patties for every meal. She is almost always a 100. My vet told me yesterday I needed to quit feeding her it because its not formualted especially for puppies and go back to Science Diet (where her poops were maybe 50's) After seeing this chart we are staying on S&C's. Please let me know if you think I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I have a four month Yorkie who eats Stella and Chewys freeze dried patties for every meal. She is almost always a 100. My vet told me yesterday I needed to quit feeding her it because its not formualted especially for puppies and go back to Science Diet (where her poops were maybe 50's) After seeing this chart we are staying on S&C's. Please let me know if you think I am doing wrong.
how does your puppy look? eyes bright and shiny? is she playful? coat nice and silky? does she seem healthy? she drinking enough?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Absolutely not. You are doing what is best for your girl which is giving her much superior nutrition than any SD crap...don't worry! We would love to see pictures!

·
Registered
3 Posts
S & C's

how does your puppy look? eyes bright and shiny? is she playful? coat nice and silky? does she seem healthy? she drinking enough?
She looks and acts great. I had read how a lot of yorkie's have skin issues but she never scratches and her skin looks great...(knock on wood) I live in a somewhat small town and would love to find a Vet that did not endorse Science Diet but not sure how to go about doing this. I will upload her pics soon.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I moved this from the raw section, as it's applicable to all forms of feeding, and did not want other people to miss out on it.
and we have a lot of raw stickies!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I moved this from the raw section, as it's applicable to all forms of feeding, and did not want other people to miss out on it.
and we have a lot of raw stickies!
I put the exact same thread in each of the raw and kibble sections initially.....

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
just a note AGAIN. 100 is not optimal on this chart. 75 IS
Why is 75 optimal? I always thought 100 was. My dogs have always had (except when they eat fish then it's in the 50-75 range) poops in the 100's, even when they were eating kibble. Isn't small, well formed, hard poops what we want Doesn't that show they're digesting the maximum amount of the foods?

Reactions: Scarlett_O'
21 - 40 of 45 Posts