Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a scoring system is great for evaluating poop, because its just one of the fun pleasures of dog ownership! Even though this chart depicts kibble fed poo, it can still be applied to raw feeding. Here is a scoring system to know what actual diarrhea looks like as well as what ideal bowel movements look like. I see all the time what people say is "diarrhea" when in actuality its just "soft serve" because there is a difference. Please reference this chart for future reference :wink:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
That's just gnarly.:eek:

But I guess this proves that Purina is good for SOMETHING; they provided this usefull chart so that we can see the ideal poos that you get from feeding something that is the oposite of their (pardon the pun) CRAPPY product! LOL! Ideal except for their monsterous size, i mean... :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
since i started feeding cooked and then raw.....stools are the main discussion between honey and i.

it's like an obsession with us....

curious about something...and gotta love that chart....once dogs do stabilise, do the poops stay somewhere between 75 and 100 consistently? or do they go back and forth?

and...

am i the only one who examines my dogs' poo....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Amaya had a...weird one...to say the least.

The other day when we took her for a walk, she pooped, and it was orange/green SLIME with little CHUNKS. Literally, CHUNKS. It looked like slime with pieces of chewed gum in it.

What do you make of that? o_O

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Amaya had a...weird one...to say the least.

The other day when we took her for a walk, she pooped, and it was orange/green SLIME with little CHUNKS. Literally, CHUNKS. It looked like slime with pieces of chewed gum in it.

What do you make of that? o_O
Aspen used to poop like that sometimes. Usually when he ate grass or something. The chunks you see probably mean undigested...something.

I don't know what her poop would be classified as on the poop chart LOL!!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
thank G'd.....i feel that we are one with the poo...it sets the tone of the day for us with malia and bubba....

as to the slime with gum...that's a new one on me....what did amaya eat the day before?

·
Registered
939 Posts
once dogs do stabilise, do the poops stay somewhere between 75 and 100 consistently? or do they go back and forth?
Brady's poos stay in the high 50s range up to 100. It all depends on what he ate beforehand. If it had a lot of fat and not much bone then it will be softer. If he's eaten a lot of bone then it will be harder.

Today he was processing some of the lamb breast that I had. It was in the 100 range with hunks of bone in it...seeing as though SOMEONE thought it was a good idea to swallow the ribs whole. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
if brady is what you would consider normal....and what IS considered normal on raw....then my dogs are doing great.....

i'm an overachiever....and i guess i'm looking for a consistently perfect poop every time....

but yeah, it depends on what they eat....

so....they ARE transitioning YAY

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i think anything between 75 and 100 is great....

speaking of which...

bubba will sometimes discharge a buttermilk consistency whitish discharge right after he has a stool....it doesn't smell...well, i don't get that close to it, although i do pick it up....it's just a few drops....

i should think, if it were anal glands, it would stink.....wouldn't it?

i've never had a dog do this...course, i've never had a pug and i've never had a pug on raw.....

just a few drops usually.....anyone know what they could be?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could be him expressing his anal sacs. And it should still smell horrid even on a raw diet because our dogs express theirs on occasion and ewwwww!!!

I wouldn't worry about it unless he acts like he is in distress over it.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I could be him expressing his anal sacs. And it should still smell horrid even on a raw diet because our dogs express theirs on occasion and ewwwww!!!

I wouldn't worry about it unless he acts like he is in distress over it.
we live in a 'scoop your poo' neighbourhood, so i guess i get pretty close to his poo....and i have to say.....it doesn't stink.....if he releases on the couch, then it stinks...ay mama, it stinks...this is just drops of whatever.

and no, it doesn't seem to bother him...so i guess i'll just let it go. as if i don't have enough to deal with....with this bugger nipping, pulling, and all sorts of 'rescue' behaviours :)

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Brady's poos stay in the high 50s range up to 100. It all depends on what he ate beforehand. If it had a lot of fat and not much bone then it will be softer. If he's eaten a lot of bone then it will be harder.

Today he was processing some of the lamb breast that I had. It was in the 100 range with hunks of bone in it...seeing as though SOMEONE thought it was a good idea to swallow the ribs whole. :rolleyes:
SOMEONE sounds like bubba....he tried to swallow an entire chicken back today....all of it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
SOMEONE sounds like bubba....he tried to swallow an entire chicken back today....all of it.
Haha...Brady tries to swallow everything pretty much whole if he can. He has such a hard time chewing off chunks because of his misaligned jaw that he just gets lazy and wants to swallow it. :rolleyes: Used to freak me out at first, but now it's like second nature. LOL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts