Dog Food Chat banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
About a month ago, while feeding kibble, I would seriously pray for the poop scored between 70 and 100. It would cause me to have sleepless nights because Jody (70 lb. German Shepherd) wasn't gaining weight and kibble caused her stool to come out very large and soft. Trust me...I wasn't overfeeding her.

I month later on raw food the poop picture scored at 100 looks huge because now that she is on a raw food diet her stool resembles large rabbit pellets and is completely firm. She is absorbing all of the nutrients!

(I guess I can get rid of the Tylan powder and Flagyl (Metronidazole) that never worked!!!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think some are mis reading the chart. Hard and dry is not ideal. on the chart here 2-3 is considered ideal.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ever since I added raw to Millie's diet (she gets raw for breakfast) her poops have gone from 50 points to 100 points! Yippee!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I found this to be very helpfull...I have Lucy on TOTW, but will be switching to raw soon, and right now she is in the 50% range, sometimes it is a little firmer but not by much....thanks again, my wife thinks im odd for being obsessed with my dog's poop!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
OH okay and according to that new chart, she is a 2 or a 3 depending on the day. Used to be more of a 4 or 5 before I started adding raw. I am also switching her from Innova LB Puppy to Acana at the moment. Innova just never gave her impressive stools.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I think some are mis reading the chart. Hard and dry is not ideal. on the chart here 2-3 is considered ideal.

from my understanding 7 is the worst so 1 should be the best..where do u get 2-3 is best..that wouldnt make much sense to make the best an arbitrary number between 1-7

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, maybe it's being scored on a scale other than best to worst. If I had to guess, it's being scored on moisture content.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, maybe it's being scored on a scale other than best to worst. If I had to guess, it's being scored on moisture content.>>>>

exactly, 100 or 1 depending on the chart is not good

A healthy dog's stools are small, firm, and moist. Dry, hard stools that cause your dog to strain may be a sign, of constipation, your dog isn't getting enough water, or it may be another dietary or health problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, maybe it's being scored on a scale other than best to worst. If I had to guess, it's being scored on moisture content.>>>>

exactly, 100 or 1 depending on the chart is not good

A healthy dog's stools are small, firm, and moist. Dry, hard stools that cause your dog to strain may be a sign, of constipation, your dog isn't getting enough water, or it may be another dietary or health problem.
that is just what i was thinking. too hard is not good.

my husband used to think i was nuts to be obsessed with the dogs' poops but now he understands. :biggrin: he always gives me the reports when he comes in with the dogs. we strive for 2's here (from the second chart) since iorek spent the first 11 months of his life with constant 5's and 6's until we switched to raw. kibble just doesn't work for him. and, i am sure you all can agree, a sammy with 5's and 6's just doesn't work! bummy baths 2 times a day is not fun for anyone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
DaneMama08 and Jiml
Thanks for posting those charts! Odd that the charts seem to be published by "Purina", because nobody ever seems to say anything good about their food! I had a wonderful, sweet brindle Dane and her name was "Ruble". She had every medical issue known to dogs...and then some! She was allergic to chicken and tons of other stuff, and the dog-food the breeder sent WITH her...made her stools like soup! After running the lab panel on her....the only food that we could get for her, at the time, was Purina Pro-Plan, Beef and Rice. And that was far from perfect. Or, I could cook for her, daily...which is basically what I did. I got really "up-close-and-personal" with Ruble's bottom...as she had to have several surgeries. One very controversial surgery she had, was I had to have her anal sacs removed. She had HUGE anal sacs, and from the moment she arrived, she drained. We expressed her daily, but she STILL drained. I'm talking STINKY, FOUL anal sac material draining 24/7 all over her, all over the house, and all over US!! It was horrible! After the surgery, we had to dab her little bum gently, with soft paper-towels and warm water, after every trip outside. Her sphincter muscles just weren't strong enough (for about 6 months to a year) to pinch off the poop, correctly. We also had to put hot, moist compresses on the area 3 times a day. She actually learned to LOVE it! Poor Ruble, she had soo many medical problems, but she was the sweetest, bravest dog! I will post pictures of Ruble as I figure out how to do it. And, I will tell you her story, as well.
Currently, my Dane, Turner...is having problems with soft stools. He's changed from a 3 (on the newer chart) down to a horrible 6! It's really awful, in one respect, because my new cottage has a tiny, little potty area....about 5'x6', and it's covered in pet turf. I have to pick up the poop IMMEDIATELY, and flush it down the toilet. So, when it's runny and gooey...my life SUCKS! I've switched his food from the Purina Pro Plan to Canidae ALS because the Co. assured me that his soft stool problems would be over! NOT! Now, I'm switching him, again, to TOTW. But...I don't think this is working either. He has had terrible gas, soft, soft stools and this new Vet has no advice. My KINGDOM for some nice score 2...#2!!! Any ideas? Other than raw?
Lynn

·
Registered
93 Posts
some dogs get perfect stools on kibbles and bits. LOL

For others its basically a search. My dog did horrible on canidae after there formula switch. Thats not saying the formula was bad -it just did not agree with her. Im currently on Acana/nutro ultra mix. She does great on the acana but its mail order so I like keeping her on nutro also as its easy to obtain and she has always done well on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Only one dog

If you have more than one dog, you might have trouble discerning which poop belonged to which dog, unless you are 'outstanding in your field' at the time. And while I'm picking it up it makes me so glad that I only have one dog.

Useful post though. My dog has a range of 50 - 100 and an occasional 25, at which time I get nervous.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi all! I want to thank to this chat for helping my puppy to get great stools! I have a 4 month BRT. Wen i got him he was on Purina Proplan and he had very hard dry stools. Hi searched for what would be the best Kibble on the market and i bought Orijen puppy large breed. His stools got softer and softer until he was on a mix of soft and liquid stools and terrible smeeling farts by the end of firts package. So i decided to change to Acana puppy large breed that has less protein. The first days its stools got better, but were still ver soft and he still had lots of farts... I tried pumpkin but it made things even worst! Then i found this Chat and when i read that when on a Raw diet most dogs have perfect stools, i gave my dog for 2 days just raw beef. During those 2 days he didn´t make any poop, so, i perceived that his bowel was getting regural functioning. The next day i decided use 1 quarter of raw beef and 3 quarters of Acana, and his stools started to be perfect right away! I´m keeping this diet because i think Acana and Orijen kiblle have great ingredients for my puppy, and the raw beef helps his stomach and bowel to function properly. Regards from Portugal to al of you:smile:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts