Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a femail giant mal. she loves water. when she goes in the pool do i need to rinse her off after with just clean water. will the chlorine effect her eyes or ears. thx in advance

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
My dog will swim every day in summer, often many times a day. I hardly ever rinse her off, so she obviously isn't sensitive to the chlorine or anything. I'd just go with it and see how she goes. I imagine the non-impact, resistance exercise would be great for a large growing puppy. We race, 2 laps at a time for 20 laps when its too hot outside to run.
The only thing I'd be careful of are her ears, especially if they aren't standing up yet. Any water that splashes in the ear canal can/will cause a ear infection which can be a real bugger to get rid of. I've got some ear drops that dry the ear canal (I use them on me too) which I stick in if we've been splashing round or jumping in.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Chlorine water can be quite harsh on the dogs skin and coat drying it out and causing flaky skin and itchiness, I'd reccommend rinsing every time coming out of the pool. Unless of course this pool is made for dogs like the one that my female goes to weekly and is treated by a UV system for cleaning and doesn't use harsh chemicals.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
My dog will swim every day in summer, often many times a day. I hardly ever rinse her off, so she obviously isn't sensitive to the chlorine or anything. I'd just go with it and see how she goes. I imagine the non-impact, resistance exercise would be great for a large growing puppy. We race, 2 laps at a time for 20 laps when its too hot outside to run.
The only thing I'd be careful of are her ears, especially if they aren't standing up yet. Any water that splashes in the ear canal can/will cause a ear infection which can be a real bugger to get rid of. I've got some ear drops that dry the ear canal (I use them on me too) which I stick in if we've been splashing round or jumping in.
what ear drops do you use?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
what ear drops do you use?
I honestly can't remember. Swimmers Ear or something like that seems to ring a bell. The bottle had a paper label which got wet and came off ages ago. I get ear infections pretty easily and this seems to work rather good.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Wow, I must be lucky. I read the ehow about swimming and my labs which are the main swimmers~ I have to put a life vest on Gordon and he rarely likes to swim, but I have not had any problems. I do though wipe their ears after to prevent any infections. But as for rinsing them off and such never have and have really not had any issues! But we don't put a ton of chlorine in our pool either. Its not a public pool so don't need a lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts