Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am not completely new to raw, but I am intimidated to make the full plunge into raw feeding. I have two standard poodles, one currently eats Nature's Variety raw medallions for breakfast and Nature's Variety kibble for dinner. My other poodle (7 mo. puppy) eats Innova LB puppy kibble, and I have begun giving her a couple Nature's Variety raw medallions for breakfast.

This raw/kibble combination is working very well, and honestly I might continue on this path. But, I am also interested in switching completely to raw.

I love the convenience of the pre-made medallions and it works very well for a diet of both kibble and raw. BUT, if I was to switch over to raw completely, the pre-made medallions would probably be too expensive.

So, what kind of meat can you feed you dogs other than chicken (possible chicken sensitivity here)?

Is there anything else that needs to be added to the diet if you are feeding only raw meat?

Where do you feed your dog raw? Outside?

How do I keep my dogs' legs clean? (ie - I have poodles and I don't want their freshly groomed pom poms getting raw gunk in them).

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
So, what kind of meat can you feed you dogs other than chicken (possible chicken sensitivity here)?
Just about any kind of meat you can get your hands on. Beef, pork, llama, rabbit, chicken, turkey, certain fish, bison, game meat, etc.

Is there anything else that needs to be added to the diet if you are feeding only raw meat?
You want to feed not only raw meat, but some bone, and some organ. When starting out you feed more bone than you normally would to keep the stools solid while the dog transitions. You also wait about a month before introducing any organs. Some people give their dogs fish oil for their skin and coat. You can also feed raw eggs a few times a week.

When the weather is nice outside, I feed my dogs in the backyard. Today it was raining, so my pups ate in the garage. Some people let their dogs eat inside, but laying on a towel. You could really feed anywhere you feel comfortable and where it is easy to clean up if need be. However, I have found that the dogs do a pretty good job of cleaning up after themselves. :wink:

How do I keep my dogs' legs clean? (ie - I have poodles and I don't want their freshly groomed pom poms getting raw gunk in them).
I have a Black Russian Terrier. He doesn't have pom poms on his legs, but he does have long hair. I have really only fed chicken so far, and it really hasn't been a problem. He does a really good job of cleaning up after he eats. If it does become a problem for your poodles, I wonder if there is something you could cover they legs with while they eat? Like cut the foot out of a tube sock and then pull it up over their legs while they eat?? Maybe??

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Any meat you can find in any grocery store will be good. I doubt there is a sensitivity to raw chicken. That almost never happens.

Bones and organs.

Thor eats in the den on the floor. Abby in the living room. Tiger1 on the counter in the kitchen (the one across the room from the main counter). Tiger2 eats in the laundry room.

Never had that problem. Maybe sox?

·
Registered
216 Posts
My girl has chicken sensitivity too, so we stay away from it. She gets mostly beef and pork, I'd say more beef than pork, and has had salmon as well. When she's had premade raw she's had turkey, lamb, and bison, but there were veggies mixed in so it wasn't straight meat. When she tried straight lamb she wouldn't eat it or anything that came in contact with it. She's a picky eater.

Because I'm doing meat without bone (except once in a while) I have to make sure she gets something to replace what she'd be getting from the bone. I also give her a daily supplement that includes an all around multi-vitamin plus joint supplement (she was on this before we went raw). I know there are varying opinions on veggies or fruits, but I like to give her some. She loves bananas so I usually stick a few slices in her dish.

I feed in the kitchen, just like it was kibble. Because I cut the meat up I just stick it in her dish and she eats it there. No mess.

Because I give her cubed meat in her dish there's never any worry about her getting dirty. The worst I've seen is when I add some cottage cheese to her meal and she walks away with a little on her nose. But it just looks kinda silly and she usually licks it off within a few seconds :tongue:

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
honestly, it depends on what kind of eater your dogs are...

malia is dainty. she lies down and methodically gnaws and crunches from one end to the other...doesn't waste a drop and gets nothing on her....

bubba gets food between his toes, on his face, back, belly....because he's having fun dancing.

malia cleans him....so she kind of gets dessert.

i love the idea of sox or leggings for your pom poms....

we feed our dogs either outside or on a towel in the kitchen....they clean the towel, each other and the floor...

we feed them a variety of animals, to try to give them as much prey as possible....

because our dogs are small, they get their bone from chicken, rabbit, pork ribs, lamb riblets, lamb shoulder, chicken feet and the rest of their diet is from boneless meat. we do not cut any meat for them...because we want them to have a tooth, jaw and neck muscle work out....we want them to rip and gnaw and crunch, as it keeps their teeth healthy....

we add no supplements, since organs are supplements and i would not want to overdose my dogs.

also they get no sugar, since sugar rots their teeth and gums.

it really isn't as hard as it sound nor is it complicated....meat/fowl/fish plus a little bone plus organs. that's it.

it's just intimidating in the beginning....

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Rocky is very dainty and gets no food anywhere. Chelsy, since she has the Lhasa Apso face, has food mashed in her mustache and beard at all times. I'm sure it's in her hairy little legs and paws, too. But she does that when she eats canned food and kibble, too. She's a pigpen. I think she just likes to be able to carry her own snack with her everywhere and eat on it later in the day :smile:. It totally depends on the dog. Chelsy just gets a lot of baths, and I keep a jar of those baby wipes next to her spot and wipe her face off when she's done eating. It's like having a toddler. (just a 13 year old very hairy toddler!) I also found out she makes less of a mess if I just put her food right on the floor or on a very flat plate instead of in a bowl.

It'll be different for your dogs. They are all unique.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My dog is a giant goof, and he usually manages to make a mess of everything. However, when it comes to eating, he is very clean. He loves his raw food, and certainly is not going to leave any part of his food. So as far as mess, there really isn't any. I have been shocked at how clean the whole thing really is!

I put his food on a towel, and it starts out there, but he will sometimes pick it up and carry it off. I started out feeding him outside, but I have four kids, and it is usually just easier to put his food down while I am in the kitchen cooking or making lunches or whatever, and let him eat right there.

I don't eat meat, and raw meat has always icked me out a little, so I thought this would be a little difficult. But honestly, this whole thing has been mess and drama free!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts