Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've tried to research what is best for my 10 year old Lab Mix, Wilbur.
The better foods are more costly, but not having my Wilbur or having him in poor health would cost me much more in my emotions and Heart.

I'm not rich by any means in money, but after losing my wife to Cancer , I am extremely wealthy in the love I share with my Wilbur.

I am planning to feed ::

Acana Pacifica in the morning,,,and

The Honest Kitchen "Embark" at night.

They both have protein in the 29% to 33% range and good amounts of fiber. They are grain free.

I do not have the knowledge as most of you, so I ask, does this sound like a good food plan for my Wilbur.?

In 6 months or so I would replace the Acana Pacifica with
Acana Grasslands and rotate between the Acana Pacifica and Acana Grasslands every 6 months while staying with The Honest Kitchen "Embark" for night-time feedings

Thank you all so much
I value your opinions
Ken and Wilbur

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well I'm all for the Acana line as this is what I feed my rescues before switching them to raw. I'm not really familiar with the Honest kitchen products but I'm sure someone on here can give you some in put. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Both Acana and HK are pretty nice products in the whole dry Dog Food world. I've fed Acana/Orijen for awhile now and consider it the elite.

Everything I've seen/read about the HK leads me to believe its a nice product from a solid company.

net/net...I wouldn't get too complicated about mixing the two foods. Some say you shouldn't mix foods due to balance issues. I still wonder if thats another myth or not...someone else will have to offer their insight on the subject.

You're feeding regimen as outlined is 99% better than most Dogs ever touch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your feeding plan sounds great to me! I have never fed Acana but am familiar with the food and it is pretty good as far as kibbles go.

I do feed The Honest Kitchen mixed with raw to my 3 dogs and love it. It's a great food and I consider it better than kibble any day due to it being less processed.

Here is a thread not exclusively about THK but has some info and discussion about it...
http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/dry-canned-dog-food/3923-honest-kitchen-vs-grandma-lucys.html

Have you considered rotating between the Honest Kitchen Embark and Force? Both are grain free and my 3 dogs do by far the best on the Force, just my personal experience...plus Force is a little cheaper than Embark.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your feeding plan sounds great to me! I have never fed Acana but am familiar with the food and it is pretty good as far as kibbles go.

I do feed The Honest Kitchen mixed with raw to my 3 dogs and love it. It's a great food and I consider it better than kibble any day due to it being less processed.

Here is a thread not exclusively about THK but has some info and discussion about it...
http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/dry-canned-dog-food/3923-honest-kitchen-vs-grandma-lucys.html

Have you considered rotating between the Honest Kitchen Embark and Force? Both are grain free and my 3 dogs do by far the best on the Force, just my personal experience...plus Force is a little cheaper than Embark.
Why do they do better on The Force? Both are grain free. Force is lower in protein than Embark...Should I use the Force instead of The Embark.?.Thanks

Ken and Wilbur

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why do they do better on The Force? Both are grain free. Force is lower in protein than Embark...Should I use the Force instead of The Embark.?.Thanks

Ken and Wilbur
I really don't know why they do better on it but I've tried all of The Honest Kitchen formulas multiple times, and time and time again they do better on Force than any of the other formulas. If it were only my experience then I would not have mentioned it but so many people that I have talked with who feed THK Force and Embark have shared similar experiences saying that even their dogs do better on Force than Embark. It's all purely anecdotal so I don't have anything scientific to back it up besides mine and other owners' personal experience to share.

I'm not suggesting that you use Force instead of Embark. Both are great, I was just suggesting that maybe you could rotate between the two kind of like you rotate between the Acana formulas. It is entirely up to you. You could even try both Embark and then Force and see how Wilbur does on each and then stick with the one you like and that he does better on. I like to offer plenty of variety so I rotate to a new HK formula every 4-6 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts