Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've read thru tons of posts here and because I'm sick of doing that, I'm posting my own! My dog Piper is part pit, part lab. She's about 42 pounds, beautiful black shiny coat (I'm new but will post a pic later) and very active. She LOVES to run. Wish I did, ha ha. In the summer months she has allergies which we figure are probably to grasses, etc. I have been thru at least 5 different foods trying to find something she'll eat but she's so picky. She'll GOBBLE snacks and treats that have junk in them but I try to buy her good food and she snubs it. We've finally gotten to the point where we give her no treats and just leave the food in the bowl til she eats it. She does finally eat that way. She is not overweight. My latest purchase was Blue Buffalo Lamb/rice...nope, she doesn't like it. And I've noticed it gives her the gurgles and she's gassy on it. Before that I gave her TOTW and she was "ok" with it but again wouldn't eat til she got super hungry...the one I fed her was the salmon, she tends to not have stomach upset when I feed the fish based foods. I've also tried pro plan (I know, not as good) and a couple really cheap brands which she chowed down but her coat suffered. I really want to stay around 1.00 a pound for food (dry only) and would welcome any suggestions.
Thanks!
Andrea

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Ok, I've read thru tons of posts here and because I'm sick of doing that, I'm posting my own! My dog Piper is part pit, part lab. She's about 42 pounds, beautiful black shiny coat (I'm new but will post a pic later) and very active. She LOVES to run. Wish I did, ha ha. In the summer months she has allergies which we figure are probably to grasses, etc. I have been thru at least 5 different foods trying to find something she'll eat but she's so picky. She'll GOBBLE snacks and treats that have junk in them but I try to buy her good food and she snubs it. We've finally gotten to the point where we give her no treats and just leave the food in the bowl til she eats it. She does finally eat that way. She is not overweight. My latest purchase was Blue Buffalo Lamb/rice...nope, she doesn't like it. And I've noticed it gives her the gurgles and she's gassy on it. Before that I gave her TOTW and she was "ok" with it but again wouldn't eat til she got super hungry...the one I fed her was the salmon, she tends to not have stomach upset when I feed the fish based foods. I've also tried pro plan (I know, not as good) and a couple really cheap brands which she chowed down but her coat suffered. I really want to stay around 1.00 a pound for food (dry only) and would welcome any suggestions.
Thanks!
Andrea
canidae grain free salmon formulas,wellness ocean core,orijen six fresh fish, innova evo herrings.

with a picky eater you cant make price stipulations.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Picky eaters are created, not born. You are the human, and you decide when and what she eats. DOGS WILL NOT STARVE THEMSELVES IN THE PRESENCE OF FOOD. When she is hungry enough, she'll eat whatever you give her.

Pick a quality food, whichever one you'd like. Have select feeding times, put the food down, leave it down for no more than 20 minutes, and then pick it back up. If she ate, great! If not, then it was by her choice. You are not starving her, she is choosing not to eat.

Give NO treats or snacks at all during the day. Put down the same food at the next feeding, and do the same thing.

Don't coddle or beg the dog to eat. Just put the food own, and leave her be. It takes a few days for some dogs. My boxer took about four days to finally realize that it was what I give her, or nothing at all.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Welcome!

Picky eaters 101:

Picky eaters are created. If you allow your dog to pick and choose what to eat, they win and you lose. You must choose a good food that works well for your dog (health wise) and stick to it. You are the parent and the one in control of your dog's health, not your dog because they do not know what is best. You must regain pack leadership and respect from your dog by being in control.

1. Pick a good, healthy food.

2. Stick to it no matter how "picky" your dog seems. Only change foods if you notice a health issue.

3. Get on scheduled feeding times.

4. Don't at any time coax your dog to eat the food, whether that be vocal reinforcement or adding anything to it to make it more inticing to eat. Just simply set the food down and go about your business.

5. Offer a meal of the food you choose and give your dog no more than 30 minutes to eat it. If she doesn't touch it, pick it up to
feed later.

6. Offer the food again at the next scheduled feeding. Same as before give no more than 30 minutes. If not touched, pick it up and save for the next feeding.

7. Give NO snacks or treats between feeding times (until you succeed at this picky eater issue).

8. Keep offering the same food each meal time until it is eaten. Keep up this until it's not an issue and your dog will eat what you choose.

Things to remember:

1. No healthy dog will intentionally starve itself. Each time your doesn't eat what you put down, they are choosing not to eat...you are not starving your dog. You are providing them what you think is the best nutrition there is and that is what
you have to keep in mind.

2. Picky eaters are manipulative. Every time you cater to their wants, they win and are in control. Whether you give them added attention or additions, they are getting what they want. Nothing in life for them should be free and that definitely applies to your respect.

3. Patience is key in this situation. Some dogs are so set in their ways that it will take days for them to cave in and submit to your authority. I have known some dogs that will go five days until this happens...but it is worth the wait. If you get your dog to respect you in this situation it will respect you in more ways than you can imagine. Keep the "tough love" approach and you will be rewarded!

·
Registered
160 Posts
corgipaws and danemama gave the best tips.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, the foods suggested are WAY out of our price range, I love my dog to pieces (obviously I'm the one that causes the pickiness!) but I can't see her eating better than us. Does anyone have experience with the Blue Buffalo fish? I really don't want to spend that much, the only reason I bought this bag is out of desperation. Is there a good fish dogfood that is in the price range of around a 1.00 a pound (a little more than that is fine). What about the Merrick Campfire Trout? I'm at a loss.
Now tonight I get home, we took a walk, she came back and ate her breakfast and at the normal time I put out her dinner and she gobbled it down. I was shocked. I think I'm going to try the 30 minute time period and see if that works as well. Thanks for the suggestions, hope you can help me find a food I can stick with! Please! : )

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Sorry, the foods suggested are WAY out of our price range, I love my dog to pieces (obviously I'm the one that causes the pickiness!) but I can't see her eating better than us. Does anyone have experience with the Blue Buffalo fish? I really don't want to spend that much, the only reason I bought this bag is out of desperation. Is there a good fish dogfood that is in the price range of around a 1.00 a pound (a little more than that is fine). What about the Merrick Campfire Trout? I'm at a loss.
Now tonight I get home, we took a walk, she came back and ate her breakfast and at the normal time I put out her dinner and she gobbled it down. I was shocked. I think I'm going to try the 30 minute time period and see if that works as well. Thanks for the suggestions, hope you can help me find a food I can stick with! Please! : )
If you have a costco membership, their Kirkland brand is great for the money. It's about $22 for 40 lbs. Canidae is around $50 for 44lbs so that's pretty affordable as well, and it's a decent food.
Merrick is great as well!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THanks. I wish we had a costco nearby, I live in the boonies, ha ha! I'll look at the canidae and merrick then and see what I can accomplish with my little pain in the rear!

·
Registered
160 Posts
andreah, where are you from? I live in the boonies to so I might be able to help you out as far as finding decent foods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in central NY, the nearest "city" if you can call it that is Utica. I've been looking online at petfooddirect.com. Ugh, why is the good stuff so expensive!!! I'm thinking I want to go grain free and of course they cost the most!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
canidae grain free is 42.79 with tax for 30 pounds by me. and it has higher meat contents than any other food ive seen. it also only has 34 percent protin so its higher trhan most foods but not too rich like evo is
since you cant feed kirkland id sqay this is the best for you. buy 12 bags get 1 free.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you have a Tractor Supply Company near you? If so, they have 4Health, Blue Buffalo, Diamond Naturals, Nutro Natural Choice, Nutro Ultra, and Taste of the Wild which are all decent foods for the price. And you can even print off a $5 off coupon to help with the cost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, we have a tractor supply, I'll look there, from reading on here it seems not too many people are fond of Diamond though?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm feeding Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete. I like the Diamond line and the only issue we are having right now is allergy issues... I'm thinking it's a chicken allergies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ugh, wish all dogs ate the same, I can't make up my mind on what I should do! Now this morning she chowed down her food (she wasn't chomping at the bit but she ate it) so I haven't even been able to try the tactics suggested here. I'm really thinking I want to go to no grain food as the hubby noticed last night that she's already starting to lose her chest and belly hair. She usually only loses that when she's outside alot in the summer, so we assume it's grass or something enviromental, wondering if the grain in the Blue Buff. is now making her shed early? If I do go grain free, is the Canidae good? The fish one is so expensive and I'm afraid to give her the chicken one. Is there a better priced fish based, grain free dog food out there? She didn't seem to care too much for the TOTW. :confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't let her decide what to eat unless of course it is an allergy. She should eat what you put in front of her. If she doesn't eat it right away tough luck put the bowl away and offer it to her again at her next meal time. If she doesn't eat right away again do the same thing. Oh, and don't give any treats in between meal times. Trust me a dog will not starve itself. She'll learn to eat what you give her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice, if she doesn't eat within 30 minutes tonight I'm picking up the bowl. I really am thinking that the grains are causing allergies, when we fed the TOTW she had no major hair loss unless it was summer and she was outside. That's why I thought it was the fish that seems to be best for her. I hate making decisions, ha ha.
Oh well, I'll find something...want to check and see if Diamond makes a grain free with fish...

·
Registered
939 Posts
I really don't think it would be the chicken causing an allergy. It's most likely the grain or something environmental. From my understanding, meat allergies are practically unheard of.

I would try a grain-free chicken based formula since they're cheaper than fish and see how it goes. It's worth a shot since you've never tried a chicken based food without the grain.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No, Diamond doesn't have a fish formula. I would try the TOTW Pacific Stream formula if you can.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts