Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these at the store but wasnt sure if I had any use for them?
I wasnt sure if they were considered junk food for the dogs.
Don't know what I would do without you guys on the other end of my computer!! Thanks:smile:

·
Banned
493 Posts
I found these at the store but wasnt sure if I had any use for them?
I wasnt sure if they were considered junk food for the dogs.
Don't know what I would do without you guys on the other end of my computer!! Thanks:smile:
Being raw meaty bones, I would think that they'd be an alright thing to feed on occasion. They are nutritious and clean your dog's teeth nicely. They also should give your dog a great jaw workout. The only thing I'd worry about is these fracturing teeth, but the only type of bone I've heard to fracture teeth on occasion is the knuckle bone. I have never used this type of bone, so I'm not sure if it would be safe or not. Here is the definition for a pig or pork hock;

A ham hock or hough is the joint between the tibia/fibula and the metatarsals of the foot, where the foot was attached to the hog's leg. It is the portion of the leg that is neither part of the ham proper nor the foot or ankle, but rather the extreme shank end of the leg bone and the associated skin, fat, tendons, and muscle. This piece generally consists of too much skin and gristle to be palatable on its own, so it is usually cooked with greens and other vegetables in order to give them additional flavor (generally that of pork fat and smoke), although the meat from particularly meaty hocks may be removed and served.

From the definition, I would think this would be something fine to feed on occasion, considering the potential nutrients to be extracted from the muscles and tendons. I'd wait to see some replyes from the other members to see what they think, but as far as i'm concered these would be fine for an occasional snack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts