Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on going to the dog park (my happy place) today. The weather has been beautiful all week. Today is the first day that the temperature is under 60 after sunrise. It's cloudy, and overcast. And to top it all, there's a cold wind (20 mile with gusts up to 45) dropping the "feel" of the temperature. I know that there are places that are wishing for weather like this, but couldn't this day have come during the week; not on one of the few days I get to go to the park. These park days are one of the very few times I get to talk to other people (not related to me or work place). I'm not an outgoing person by nature, have little time to socialize, and I don't make friends (or even acquaintances) easily. So, meeting usually friendly, willing to talk people is a "gift" to me. Now, I'll be mostly "stuck" at home (with a bunch of teen/twenty something boys) with the only "outing" to look forward to is a trip to petsmart/petsbarn, so not a whole lot of "relating" or hades even friendly interactions. This, for me, sucks which generally leads me to complaining about various pet peeves (in my head usually). Things like pet food and people deciding they want to change from a working "diet" to something "better". Then when the diet causes "problems" blaming the food or keep going with it even though it's kind of obvious that it's not really working because it's "better". Personally, I find most diets "missing" something and feel feeding one thing to be rather ridiculous. It's common sense (which is really not common), imo, that feeding a variety of foods is healthier for any living creature. Eating one thing over and over and over again with nothing "new" add is setting most creatures up for digestive "failure". Sometimes, being the cynical person I am, I think this is why vets often reccomend feeding just one food. Then when the dog gets "into" something else, they get to make money on "stomache medicines". Anyways, back to people and diet changes. Why can't people figure out to feed what their dog does best on, whether it's considered better or not. There have been sooo many "discoveries" made about this food being good/bad for you, then a few years later- oops, we were wrong. Which leads, in my mind, to people who insist that you can't tell how a diet will affect your dog "down the road". Hinting at the "fact" that you are doing your pup "damage" for not feeding a "better" food. Then there are others who insist better isn't better. That the "old" diets have been "proven" to be the best or only a "specialize" diet is necessary. And the notion that dogs are omnivores, don't even get me started. Dogs are not, imo, omnivores, neither are they "true" carnivores. They are, simply put, scavengers. A dog's system is designed to survive on what's available. Will most dogs survive better on a "meat" based diet easier? Duh, yeah. Their system is more inclined towards processing meat more efficiently but if it's in "short supply" they have no problem "switching" gears so to speak. I don't believe that most dogs will survive, in good health, for very "long"on a vegetarian only diet, simply due to their bodies having to work "harder" to process out nutrients. Of course, cooking makes all things easier to digest. (Sometimes too easy, can you say weight gain? Feed what works for your dog, change it up to find "all" the things that work for your dog. If you worry that the food you pick will "damage" your pet, get your pup tested, so you can "catch" any problems early and "reverse" them. But don't believe every "new finding" out there, learn about it, try it out (if you want) but don't hold your "theoretically better diet" so close that it triumps over how your dog is doing on it. Don't turn your nose up to "theoretically bad diet" who knows it might be a perfect fit for your dog.
Then there are other pets diet, hedge hog diets really get to me. Hedgehogs are insectivores. So why is it that people are told to feed a "kibble" diet and only offer insects as treats. Hello, insectovores eat insects that's why insect is in their dietary description. Shouldn't insects make up the majority of their diet and kibble be offered as "treats"? Of course, now there's a "kibble" out for dang near every critter out there. Don't think I'm a kibble is death believer. Nope, I think sometimes kibble is a "better" option. Birds are a biggie for me in that category. Most bird seed mixes are heavy on either nutrional "mickeyds" type seeds or the "ew, yuck, why would anything eat this" seeds. Which end up with seeds thrown everywhere. Then there are the doofus owners who don't change foods often enough because the dish is still "full". A closer look show that, nope, the dish has mostly hulls and few seeds. So a nutritionally complete kibble diet is generally "better" especially when augmented by fresh foods and select seeds. Same with most rodent foods. Ferrets and cats are iffier. It's harder for most people to make sure these guys are getting the "right" nutrients in the proper balance but kibble causes other, sometimes, just a serious problems. Well, I'm going to stop bothering everyone here, if anyone even bothered to read this. And go try to be useful and get the "chores" done early. I truely dislike days like today. At least, the sun's come out.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts