Dog Food Chat banner

Parasites in Raw Pork

7K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  DaneMama 
#1 ·
Wow, there really is a stigma on raw pork, isn't there??? I had no idea people were so scared of it. I have been feeding it for a year and no troubles at all.

Am on another board where people are posting links saying that parasites in pork are a real problems (tapeworms and liver flukes) and that vets are saying to STAY AWAY from any under cooked pork for dogs.

Is it really that much of a problem? I know that trich has been eliminated in this country for decades, but are parasites still a problem?

Do you guys feed raw pork or worry about it?

#2 ·
Are they providing documentation and back up to their claims? If not I'd ask for and if they can't prove it you know it's just fear and hype. I personally have yet to see any documentable proof that parasites in commercially raised pork is a problem. I will continue to feed it on a regular basis.

#3 ·
I feed raw pork quite often, and my husband can now order his pork chop medium rare in the restaurant so you know there is no parasites in pork from the USof A

#4 ·
This is her argument and link to back herself up ...

Although trich is no longer a problem in modern times, pork can still carry liver flukes and tapeworms which are both zoonotic. That's why humans should never eat undercooked pork. Here's a link explaining some of it, specifically, look for the paragraphs under the blue outlined box:

The Open Door Web Site : Biology : Human parasites II

From the info I could find, tapeworms are only a problem in extreme poverty stricken areas where the pigs have access to human feces. (Can't imagine that being a problem with farmed pork!) :eek:

#6 ·
In another forum they told me I shouldn't feed raw pork to my pup , 'cause of my area (Honduras in central america)

I had read in the newspapers many reports of trichinosis in confiscated meat. :(

Most of the farmers let the pigs run loose and they eat anything they can find, including garbage.

#7 ·
This is true in other countries, but not here in the United States, we have have way too many restrictions and regulations.

#9 ·
I have fed raw pork to my dogs for 8 years with no problem. Usually it's frozen because I buy several pork roasts at once when on sale. I feed them about once a week so if I buy 3, 2 will go in the freezer. I fed pork tonight straight from the grocery store today.

@Sapphire-Light: I would freeze pork for a month if I were you.

#12 ·
Contrary to popular belief, the trichina roundworm has not been eradicated from the US pork supply. Reduced? Yes. But it is still there. Our hospital had 30+ cases of trichinosis (including cerebral trichinosis) in 2009. We have classified it as a re-emerging zoonosis.

I have no idea as to whether dogs are differentially susceptible as compared to humans. But I didn't want anyone to get the impression that undercooked pork is uniformly safe for human consumption.

#14 ·
Contrary to popular belief, the trichina roundworm has not been eradicated from the US pork supply. Reduced? Yes. But it is still there. Our hospital had 30+ cases of trichinosis (including cerebral trichinosis) in 2009. We have classified it as a re-emerging zoonosis.
Pork from our normal food supply (grocery stores) is safe. The cases of trich found today come from eating undercooked wild game. There is no trich in the US pork supply.

I have no idea as to whether dogs are differentially susceptible as compared to humans. But I didn't want anyone to get the impression that undercooked pork is uniformly safe for human consumption.
As long as your pork comes from a grocery store, you are safe. If you by it from an independent farmer, not necessarily so.

#18 ·
I believe that if you have a compromised immune system then yes you might as a human get sick from something that the average person would not, dogs on an average who have been fed a raw diet have a great immune system and the acidity in the digestive tract would no doubt kill any parasites that the average kibble fed dog couldn't.

Reactions: magicre
#22 ·
Several years ago I used to know this lady on another board who said she ate raw meat all the time. She said her grandmother used to feed her raw hamburger when she was 6 years old and she has been eating raw meat since then. She never cooked meat. I think she was in her 50's if I remember correctly. I think there are a good many people who eat raw meat regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.