Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we work up to the 'other meat' stage of our diet, is Oxtail alright?
My local butcher had a lot of it.

They were so helpful with chicken necks and leg quarters! I got 6 large leg quarters and 3 huge containers of chicken necks (for Jack) for $10.00.

:)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Oxtail is fine to feed. I don't feed it to my dogs as it is real grisly and very bony.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We don't feed it either...I can find better things for the same price around here. If you can find more suitable things I would stick to those instead of this. Variety is good, but you don't want to add in things that aren't all that great...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hmm, I like oxtail. It is kind of expensive though at Walmart so I only buy it occasionally when it's yellow-tagged.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once again, awesome info.
Thanks all. :D

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Oxtail isn't on my list of meats I go looking for, but if I see it marked way down, I pick some up.
Usually it's in the $2.50/lb range, which I will not pay, as I'd rather pick up something like lamb for that, but once it's under a buck, I'll buy just about anything. lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
When we work up to the 'other meat' stage of our diet, is Oxtail alright?
My local butcher had a lot of it.

They were so helpful with chicken necks and leg quarters! I got 6 large leg quarters and 3 huge containers of chicken necks (for Jack) for $10.00.

:)
Oxtail's great. Well we use beef tails(are cows and ox the same thing....they aren't right?)

no problems.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ox tail is the same thing as cow tail. Oxen are generally cattle used for pulling carts but I imagine the "ox tail" label for the meat is just a way to make it sound fancy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts