Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What the heck are they? I mean I know they're cow tails, but what are the made of?

Bone? Cartilage? Marrow?

I have bad memories of feeding these to my dane several years ago, but I don't know why other than she got very sick. It could've been coincidental, as she had a lot of other health problems back then, but I'm still wary of trying them again because things are going SO SO well with everyone on raw right now.

The grocery store right up the street has them dirt cheap, and they have the ones that look like all the meat is stripped down with the exception of maybe a 1/4 inch, and then they have the ones that are about the size of donuts, with a lot of fat and meat around them. Any preference?

I'm sure my other two dogs would be able to handle them, I'm just wondering if there is some reason (maybe too rich? Too fatty?) that my dane would not be able to, since she is notoriously sensitive.. (here's her history for anyone interested Hannah's Background )

Sorry for the ramble, as per usual.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i have oxtails in my freezer and so far, i too have not fed my dogs these...

seems to me they are very fatty...

where are you in your progression...is she still on chicken and turkey?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I don't feed oxtails to my dogs but some people do! Imo they are very grisly and don't have much meat attached to them and they really aren't that cheap where I live.

They would be to me a RMB because of the bone/gristle meat content rather than a meat meal.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
since fat is an issue for us...i looked it up.....oxtails are 45% fat and 52% protein...

i think i, too, would feed them as a RMB, rather than part of a meal...and probably later on in the game when they are really really into raw, not just into the third month....

my dogs don't do fat as well as others....or maybe they do....they didn't the first time around...but it might have been overfeeding and fat combined, not just the fat content.......i'm just not going to take the chance just yet....

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
since we're pros at giving our dogs the runs, we decided to give them oxtails....

turns out they can eat most of it, except for a tiny piece of bone in the deep inside.

if they were toy breed dogs, i guess it would then become a recreational bone...but both of my dogs, even the pug, could and probably would swallow it....and it's too small to gnaw and too large to swallow for my dogs.

oxtails will be meals for my dogs, i guess....and only occasionally...since they are expensive and they are very high in fat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts