Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this happens often, but I am overwhelmed with all the info about dog food. I haven't owned a dog since I was a child. Now I'm the proud mother of a 2 year old female Pit Bull / Boston Terrier rescue. Shes 35 pounds and full grown (as I was told by the 2 foster moms she's had.) She's not a very active dog, rarely has running around the house fits, but I do take her for 2+ mile walks almost everyday. My main concern is the healthiness of what I chose for her to eat. Right now shes eating Purina Pro Plan Chicken formula. (It's only because Purina donates it to the St. Louis rescue group I got her from.) I want to wean her on to something better. Price is a big concern, yet I am able to eat healthy and well on a budget, surely my dog can too. So please can someone tell me what the best dog food is that wont force me back on Ramen noodles. I didn't think I should go for a small breed or large breed specialized food because shes both/neither. Any info will help because I'm new at this. Thank you in advance!
(I attached a photo for your enjoyment :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think the first step would be to take a look at the site below and then determine which foods are offered at the pet stores near you. You won't find any high quality foods at walmart or a grocery store.
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
Go to the review section and try to find a 4 star or above food.
I don't feed kibble but I've heard many people say that the Kirland's brand from Costco is a pretty good food and at a good price.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
What a cutie! :biggrin:

Yes, the Kirkland brand dog food isn't too bad for the price. Also look into Taste Of The Wild. It's a grain free kibble that is less expensive than most.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts