Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chubs (our misnamed dog) is now completely raw fed. We cut out the canned food for the last 2 days and I think it's gonna stay that way. Apparently I'm not very good at cutting up whole raw chickens though, last night I took a chunk out of one of my knuckles when the knife slipped. I'm sure I'll get better at it with practice. He's been getting raw since I brought him home 2 1/2 months ago. So far he's had chicken, pork, whiting, whole eggs and just recently started small amounts of chicken liver. Our next steps will be Cornish hens (I've already got some for the cats) Turkey, it's on sale now, and eventually beef and salmon.

Up until today I couldn't get any of my cats to eat bones, they wouldn't even try. They would only eat cut pieces of boneless meat. I bought a small rock Cornish hen and cut it up a little for them but all they did lick it and pull a few easy pieces of meat off it. So I took the breast and cut it so there were only a few bones in each piece. Cuervo (my oldest fat cat) finally started crunching up the bones some. I don't think he actually swallowed any, but it's a start. I'm gonna pick up some really small whole fish and see if we can make progress with that.

My kitten has been on raw the longest, about 3 months and she still doesn't get the hang of it. She'll eat small boneless pieces like a champ though I did notice today that she was carrying around a larger piece with bone and trying to figure out what to do with it. She eventually dropped it and gave up.

Last would be Jose (my sick cat) before we knew he was sick I tried to introduce him to raw, he turned his nose up at it. Once I knew he was sick I put raw on the back burner and just gave him anything he would eat. He was losing weight fast. His meals pretty much consisted of crappy canned food (seemed the worse the food was the more he liked it) and cooked chicken and pork. I know raw would be the best for him in his condition, but I've unnecessarily worried about the effect of the bacteria load with his compromised immune system. Lately I've been trying to make the switch. I started only half cooking his food so it was still a little raw in the center and slowly cooked it less and less until the outside was just barely seared. There were two reasons for this, one, that's the only way I could get him interested and two for my own peace of mind. I know that most bacteria is on the surface so this way I could slowly introduce him to higher bacteria loads. Today I'm happy to say that he had his first piece of completely raw chicken. I don't plan to give him ground meats or meat past it's prime for now. (the other animals eat meat that's sat in the fridge a little longer than I would be willing to eat it myself, but they do fine) I know these precautions probably aren't nessaccary, but I feel more at ease with it.

I'm thrilled to say that Cuervo (the fatty) has finally lost 1lb, it took 3 months, but it's progress. Jose is now gaining wieght, about 6 oz in the last 3-4 weeks, I think he's finally turning the corner.

Anyway, that's where we stand hopefully things will continue to improve.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I'm glad that things are going well, and sometimes the switch to raw takes a while...especially with stubborn cats! Take one step at a time, you have to convince the cats that it was their idea to eat it LOL you can never make a cat do something it doesn't want to do!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts