Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far we've done chicken, turkey, beef, lamb (only when found on sale)pork and fish. Jordan to my surprise is a finicky eater. He will eat beef liver and I haven't tried the pork liver yet but I suspect he will. The kidney had to be cooked with garlic for him to think about it. I'm trying beef kidney next. I'm trying to find different offals also without much luck at the international markets I go to. Rabit is a no go, he only licks and protects it from the cat. I want to make sure he gets the variety he needs. I can get some venisin soon from a friend and I hope he likes it but not holding my breath. Any other ideas on meats that I could easily find and afford or is variety enoug?Jubilee is no problem. I've come to realize shell eat anything. I just take what Jordan doesn't eat, bag it and save it for her the next day so shell be getting rabit 2 nights in a row. I'm also happy to report that she now has a very strong stomach. I've only noticed diarrhea if she doesn't get enough bone so I do bony chicken after a loose stool episode. Other than that she handles a full meal of heart or liver without a problem if I give her a good bony meal before hand.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
finicky eaters i think....are created. but there are some stubborn ones who have to be force fed liver and offal...

get a dog hungry enough or exercised enough, and i do believe they will eat, although i've lucked out on that one....since my dogs do not refuse anything....

early on, i have never let them be finicky....it's my way or starve. i found out they won't starve....although malia almost got me LOL

i also start out with tiny amounts of food...when i'm introducing a new protein, like lamb tongue....

instead of giving him a meal of rabbit, give a tiny piece as a treat...see what happens....and then increase....maybe that will work...

i'm so very glad to hear she has a strong stomach....and, if what she eats without difficulty is chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, pork and fish, i'd say you're doing pretty well....not every one gets the really oddball stuff.

i'd say you guys are doing great.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've got a finicky eater. She went a month and a half eating barely a quarter of what she should have been eating, and some days none at all.

If we're going by the "in the wild" theory, there's a good chance they wouldn't be eating a huge variety of regularly changing meats, just what is available to them in the area they live, so I don't see why they would need every meat out there now that they are domestic animals. As long as their needs are being met by the meats they are willing to eat I don't see the harm in sticking to those. That's just my opinion though.

Tiki refuses to eat lamb (except one variety of premade which is mixed with veggies and she loves it), and I certainly wouldn't starve her just to make her eat it. I'll give her one of the many things she will eat. Again, only my opinion :smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Both Re and ubershann bring up good points. Picky eaters are created, but it doesn't surprise me that your dog doesn't like organs. Its kinda like kids who don't want to eat their veggies....we've come to the point of literally shoving organs down throats to get them into the diet. We did every trick in the book to try and get the girls to eat organs and nothing really worked with much success at all. It only takes us a few seconds to shove organs once every other week.

I wouldn't worry too much about variety. From the sounds of it, your pooch gets plenty of variety already.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
if my dogs were in the wild....they'd probably die of starvation LOL...

well, maybe malia might learn, but a pug? they were raised to be lap warmers for warriors....

but in the wild, they'd be eating game...and the smaller the dog, the smaller the game, i should think..

so bubba might hunt very small game, he'd eat the all the parts.....maybe he'd leave a few unwanted pieces...

malia might be able to bring down bigger game....but she too would eat most of the parts...

going to the grocery store, i'm only able to buy certain cuts of the cow, the lamb, the pig, and the chicken, and turkey....

so, when i can, i get kidneys from other animals....liver from other animals....heart from other animals...

just because i think every part of every animal offers something a little different.

would my kids be fine if i didn't? i think so....

i just get such a kick out of them eating different things....and i think it's better for them to experience as much variety as possible...for their health....

i believe the same with humans...every protein offers something and each vegetable and fruit and type of fat offers something....for our health

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I totally agree with re every source of meat has something a little different to add and every different type of organ you can get your dog to eat the better, I know my dogs will eat any of the organs but at first they wouldn't I had to freeze it first and defrost it a little and feed it to them slightly defrosted.
Now their favorite organs are from the lamb, heart, liver and kidney. (heart being a muscle but it is so small) LOL Also, I like to add that if you can buy your organs as grass fed hormone free as these are the organs that flush the impurities out of the system, it would be beneficial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts