Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new here but I have lots of questions. First I have a 10 month old Caviler King Charles Spaniel. I am currently feeding him Life's Abundance but it's time for a change. I was debating either Orijen or Fromms. I saw that orijen is 38% protein and thought that might be way too high for a Cav. Also I don't know whether I should go grain or grain-free.

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello,
Except for a few individuals, there is no upper limit for protein content. 38% or even more is fine for most dogs, even sedentary dogs. But some dogs have problems with foods which are rich in carbohydrates. A lower protein and fat percentage almost always mean a higher starch content, which isn't really healthy.
Grains are useless and can even be bad for a lot of dogs. Some proteins from grains (gluten) are allergens, and their biological value is low. Grains can contain mycotoxins. And they are extremely rich in starch that dogs can't easily digest.
Personally, I prefer Orijen, especially because it isn't too high in carbohydrates and because of its higher meat content. However, I haven't tested their new line. But Fromm is a good brand too. Why not make your dog try both ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,
Except for a few individuals, there is no upper limit for protein content. 38% or even more is fine for most dogs, even sedentary dogs. But some dogs have problems with foods which are rich in carbohydrates. A lower protein and fat percentage almost always mean a higher starch content, which isn't really healthy.
Grains are useless and can even be bad for a lot of dogs. Some proteins from grains (gluten) are allergens, and their biological value is low. Grains can contain mycotoxins. And they are extremely rich in starch that dogs can't easily digest.
Personally, I prefer Orijen, especially because it isn't too high in carbohydrates and because of its higher meat content. However, I haven't tested their new line. But Fromm is a good brand too. Why not make your dog try both ?
Thanks, I will try both. I actually bought fromms today so maybe I'll try that for a few months then orijen.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't feel excess protein is necessary for most pet dogs. I would pick Fromm over Orijen. However, if you want to stay with Champion Foods, try Acana ... 'sister' product to Orijen, but more suitable for pet dogs IMO.

Fromm is a better company IMO as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes but remember I have a small lazy dog.
My dog eats Orijen, and canned food which is even richer in protein and fat, and it's not too rich for him at all. All dogs are different and Orijen doesn't make all dogs overweight. Look at your food's metabolizable energy (calorie content). It is the only way to know if a food is appropriate for a sedentary / active dog or not. If you're concerned by a high calorie content (equal or superior to 4000 kcal / kg or more), foods like Evo weight management and Orijen senior are good. But you still can use a food with a higher calorie content if you want, and because you would have to reduce the quantity of food to give, it's cheaper on long term.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dog eats Orijen, and canned food which is even richer in protein and fat, and it's not too rich for him at all. All dogs are different and Orijen doesn't make all dogs overweight. Look at your food's metabolizable energy (calorie content). It is the only way to know if a food is appropriate for a sedentary / active dog or not. If you're concerned by a high calorie content (equal or superior to 4000 kcal / kg or more), foods like Evo weight management and Orijen senior are good. But you still can use a food with a higher calorie content if you want, and because you would have to reduce the quantity of food to give, it's cheaper on long term.
Well, I guess I'll give it a try with my Cav. Hopefully it will be good. Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
319 Posts
Every dog I have tried Orijen or Acana on has exceedingly bad breath/bad teeth as well as plenty of itching. Orijen gave fosters diarrhea, guaranteed, every time (giving slightly less then the bag recommendation).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Every dog I have tried Orijen or Acana on has exceedingly bad breath/bad teeth as well as plenty of itching. Orijen gave fosters diarrhea, guaranteed, every time (giving slightly less then the bag recommendation).
Wow that's not good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, out of all the fromms dog food which one of the grain-free is the best?

·
Registered
150 Posts
When we fed kibble, we tried orijen and acana...we liked how it was made in Canada and sourced local fresh ingredients. Bit our dog didn't do well on either. We used Fomm and he did better...he was a large breed so we used the large breed Gold formula. I would also recommend the Go! line from Petcurean. Our dog had the best stools on that food by far. But again, every dog is different. I hope you find one that works well for you!

·
Registered
272 Posts
My boy was on Orijen 6 Fish until just recently and was doing very well on. The only reason I have switched him is my dog food store just got the new formulas in (with the lentils) and my boy didn't care for the taste.

So right now he is on Fromm Salmon Tunalini...though I'm not that he's really liking it as much as I had thought when I had bought him a sample bag of it.

I might try Nulo Endurance, if I can get the company to respond to me via email or phone.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My boy was on Orijen 6 Fish until just recently and was doing very well on. The only reason I have switched him is my dog food store just got the new formulas in (with the lentils) and my boy didn't care for the taste.

So right now he is on Fromm Salmon Tunalini...though I'm not that he's really liking it as much as I had thought when I had bought him a sample bag of it.

I might try Nulo Endurance, if I can get the company to respond to me via email or phone.
My dog is on Salmon Tunalini now. He has a little bit of loose stool but he just got off antibiotics so I don't know if its from that or the food.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone heard of canine caviar and is it any good?

·
Registered
778 Posts
i rotate between the fromm gf and their 4 star , with grain.
family owned company (a zillion yrs) and never a recall.

canine caviar claims they help keep cancer away.
wouldnt it be nice if that were true?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Has anyone heard of canine caviar and is it any good?
I tried it with my french bulldog for about two weeks, and he did pretty bad on it. Awful gas and his stools never firmed up in two weeks. They were like soft serve the whole time.

He's on Annamaet Aqualuk now and is doing so much better.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've tried most of the brands mentioned in this thread.

Of the Fromm grain-free formulas, I think the Surf & Turf (their original grain-free) is the best formulated. The Beef Frittata and Game Bird both rely on "pea protein" as a primary ingredient which isn't ideal in my book. They've never had a recall which is a big plus.

I don't think the new formulas of Orijen or Acana are as good as the originals back from five years ago when I had a puppy. The reliance on lentils as a protein booster isn't a positive. Some posts mentioned a breath problem with dogs eating Orijen; and I just remembered my son recently saying that his dog (eating Orijen exclusively) has really developed bad breath.

Canine Caviar really revamped there formulas plus came out with a lot of new ones in the past two years. Their cancer claim is disingenuous to say the least. They have moved around to a variety of manufacturing plants (believe they are with Chenango Valley now) and are currently being sued by Ohio Pet Foods. Of their grain-frees, two rely on chickpeas as the 2nd ingredient which is capable of providing a lot of protein. The other two grain-free formulas only have 26% protein. My two dogs developed major ear issues while eating the Canine Caviar Chicken and Pearl Millet.

Both my dogs have been eating Annamaet Aqualuk for the past several months and I haven't been this pleased in a long time - both with the company and with the outcome.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts