Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I've been on here for awhile reading old posts, etc. I've posted in the past few weeks on what is the best grain free to feed my girl and like many, really want to try the Orijen...but it's so expensive. I did some searching and found you can buy trial sizes of Orijen! Maybe this isn't a surprise to some but if I can help one person it's a start! If you just google "orijen trial" you'll find a few stores that carry them from 1.99 - 3.00. Not sure about shipping, didn't go that far yet but being able to buy a smaller bag (.88lb) is great! I think I'm going to buy two or three then can transition and be feeding full Orijen before I actually run out to see if she handles it well, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the tip - I just bought a small bag of orijen this weekend - the 6 lb bag i think to start combining in their current food.

Was using Merrick which is only a couple dollars cheaper.

I was a little concerned about the costs as well - but so far the dogs seem to like it - i just added a little the past 2 days in their normal kibble and they searched for the orijen first lol.

I'm figured I can cut costs in other ways - like bathing them myself - we do daycare only once every 2 weeks, stuff like that.

Keeping our fingers crossed the dogs enjoy the food and they do well on it - my one lil acd mix needs to loose a few lbs and just started having anal gland problems a week or so ago.

They seem to like variety as well so I may get the smaller other flavors in the future. :smile:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hee hee, we've started bathing her ourselves too....she loves to jump in the shower with my hubby and we blow dry her when she's done so she feels like she's being pampered.
Let me know how you make out when you switch to full Orijen, I really want to try it. If you read my other post Piper doesn't like eating, we tried the "take the food away" exercise and she still won't eat. I'm beginning to think Blue Buffalo is a flop...good thing because it costs way too much for what it is.
Good luck with the anal glad problems, been there done that...Piper had to have hers removed and she's a new woman now!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Trial size bags are good to see if your dog actually likes the food (which most of the time they do anyway because it's new), but won't really give you an idea if the food is good for them. They have to be on it for about a month for you to really be able to see a difference.

Honestly I'm not much of a Blue fan either...I've tried multiple varieties of their food only to have the same result...dandruff, little bumps all over his body, and smelly cow-pie poos. :frown:

What makes you think it's a flop?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say the Blue is making her itch but the snow is gone now so I can attribute some of the itching to pollen, etc that is starting up. But, makes me think that if she's allergic to grass or other outdoor elements then probably the grain properties in Blue (or any like it for that matter) are contributing to the itching too. She's ok with her stool, etc but is burping and farting and she never did that on grain free. I feel like her coat isn't as good either. That's my main reason to go to grain free...I had decided to try canidae grain free and even bought a 5 lb bag but haven't opened it yet and am starting to doubt myself, thinking maybe the Orijen would be better?

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
candae grain free is great. i just bought some for my dog. although he seems to like welness core better, but he still likes the canidae.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Good luck with the anal glad problems, been there done that...Piper had to have hers removed and she's a new woman now!
Out of curiosity, how much did this cost? I'm thinking our cocker puppy might have to have it done.

That's my main reason to go to grain free...I had decided to try canidae grain free and even bought a 5 lb bag but haven't opened it yet and am starting to doubt myself, thinking maybe the Orijen would be better?
Orijen is definately leaps and bounds better than the canidae. If you can spring for Orijen, EVO, Core, or Wildnerness, I'd definately go with any of those over Canidae. Don't get me wrong, Canidae is an OK food, but the others are GOOD foods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Corgi, our vet is a farm vet and has a small office out of his home so he doesn't charge NEAR prices of a regular vet...so keep that in mind. He charged us about 200 bucks. The surgery went great and we're very happy we had it done...she was having an anal gland leaking problem. No more stinkies! More I think about it, more I think I'm gonna return the canidae food and try the orijen instead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You got me interested lol I emailed a pet shop around my area and they gave me two 1 pound bags of Orijen (Adult and Regional Red) for free. I also got a couple samples of Evo since I've never tried that either. They just started a new bag of Core, but I think we may be switching now that I know I can find it without ordering it!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much did this cost? I'm thinking our cocker puppy might have to have it done.

Orijen is definately leaps and bounds better than the canidae. If you can spring for Orijen, EVO, Core, or Wildnerness, I'd definately go with any of those over Canidae. Don't get me wrong, Canidae is an OK food, but the others are GOOD foods.
disagree. canidae and orijen arent that much difference when looking at the grain free canidae. orijen has a max carb of 34 according to RFD dogs formula. canidae grain free has 38 max so not much difference. canidae also has a lower percentage of protein so its better for sensitive dogs, and 80 percent of the total protein is meat based, where as orijens is only 70 percent total.

not to mention canidae is much cheaper as well, and more readily available given champions shortages.

·
Registered
517 Posts
disagree. canidae and orijen arent that much difference when looking at the grain free canidae. orijen has a max carb of 34 according to RFD dogs formula. canidae grain free has 38 max so not much difference. canidae also has a lower percentage of protein so its better for sensitive dogs, and 80 percent of the total protein is meat based, where as orijens is only 70 percent total.

not to mention canidae is much cheaper as well, and more readily available given champions shortages.

Wow I never thought that anyone would think Canidae is even close to Orijen. LOL

·
Banned
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Corgi, our vet is a farm vet and has a small office out of his home so he doesn't charge NEAR prices of a regular vet...so keep that in mind. He charged us about 200 bucks. The surgery went great and we're very happy we had it done...she was having an anal gland leaking problem. No more stinkies! More I think about it, more I think I'm gonna return the canidae food and try the orijen instead.
Thanks for the info. I wonder how much it would be elsewhere, maybe double?
She's not having a leaking issue, she just scoots constantly, and vet cleared her for worms, and i have been expressing her glands daily, and every day I get quite the amount out.
When I got her they were pretty impacted, about the consistency of cream cheese, and what i'm getting out of them now is much thinner, but with solid stools I am just amazed at the amount I get out of her on a daily basis, and I feel so bad that she always seems to be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
939 Posts
all of my points make sense...
I thought we already established that there is no difference in the amount of meat? You even agreed that they're similar in that sense.....:confused:

You have to admit yourself that Orijen is a much better food all around...except the price. :frown: There is a reason for that though, one being that the source of their meats, etc. are much more reliable than Canidae's. Also, Canidae throws in a crap load of unnecessary stuff (that has already been discussed as being so) that will make the cost cheaper. You even wanted to switch to Orijen Regional Red, but can't find it locally.

Now we should all know around here by now that you love you some Canidae, but there are other better foods out there, and in my opinion, Orijen is one of them. :smile: I, personally, just wonder if you have anything else to share around here other than "Canidae is awesome!!!"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went for it and ordered some Orijen, found out nobody locally sells it but found a website that has 1/2 off shipping for Orijen right now...if anyone is interested I'll let you know the website, not sure if I can post that so pm me if you want....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Corgi, I'm no vet but sounds to me they need to come out, if you're caring for them daily that's not good, there's obviously something wrong. I would shop around a bit. At the time of Piper's surgery he told us that a colleague of his was charging 800 for the same surgery. Unbelieveable. After that fiasco we invested in pet insurance, just in case!!! :eek:
Pays to even call around out of your local area and try some rural vets, they're always cheaper!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I went for it and ordered some Orijen, found out nobody locally sells it but found a website that has 1/2 off shipping for Orijen right now...if anyone is interested I'll let you know the website, not sure if I can post that so pm me if you want....
idk if this offer is stilll valid but petfooddirect has free shipping. orijen as well as canidae aand any heavy items are EXPENSIVE to ship.

im lucky my feed stlre sells every brand. i can get orijen for 57 plus tax, which while hefty,is better than the same bag for 80 with shipping!

good luck with the orijen!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! The place I found was a little cheaper than petfooddirect which surprised me because I order from them once in awhile. I only got a 15 lb bag for now but when ordering a bigger bag will def. look for the free shipping places! :smile:

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I thought we already established that there is no difference in the amount of meat? You even agreed that they're similar in that sense.....:confused:

You have to admit yourself that Orijen is a much better food all around...except the price. :frown: There is a reason for that though, one being that the source of their meats, etc. are much more reliable than Canidae's. Also, Canidae throws in a crap load of unnecessary stuff (that has already been discussed as being so) that will make the cost cheaper. You even wanted to switch to Orijen Regional Red, but can't find it locally.

Now we should all know around here by now that you love you some Canidae, but there are other better foods out there, and in my opinion, Orijen is one of them. :smile: I, personally, just wonder if you have anything else to share around here other than "Canidae is awesome!!!"
well then i am confused, so please explain to me. canidae is 80 percent total protein from meat correct? this is out of a total 34 percent protein level. so it would be assumable that the other 20 percent is unnecessary ingredients. so 27.2 percent out of the 34 percent total protein is from meats.

orijen is 70 percent total meat based proteins and 30 percent protein from unnecessary foods. it has a total protein of 40 percent. this means that 28 percent of 40 percent total protein is from meat.

yes orijen slightly leads as far as TOTAL meat is concerned i do agree. however it has more unecessary fillers and garbage. canidae has almost the same meat levels, but less fillers, because it has a 10 percent higher amount of meat(however 80 percent of 34 is less in total than 70 percent of 40).

all in all i am sure the quality of meat in orijen is superior probably,and the ethoxyquin free guarantee makes me happy.

so i will agree orijen might be better.

i still dont like the shady practices of them though. a lot of people bash canidae for changing the formula and signing with diamond.
the grain free hasnt changed.
and canidae has never been recalled.(prolly shoulda been voluntarily recalled though after the formulas change) also diamond doesnt manufacture canidae until canidae reviews it. font ask me how they review a dryed up kibble? and dont ask me why kibbles have max and min values instead of constant numbers but thats what i know.

id rather feed my pet a food from diamond then from a company that does not inform the public its food is full of radiations!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts