Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to start feeding organs to my dogs, and just wanted to know would it be easier to try to offer every day, or once a week?

My chihuahua needs (of each liver & other) about .03oz per day or .5oz per week
My Pomeranian needs (of each liver & other) about .19oz per day or 1.34oz per week
My golden isn't quite ready for organs so we haven't figured out what she needs yet.

Or would it be best to offer every day so they get used to them/build up a tolerance to them, then offer once a week?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
My chihuahua needs (of each liver & other) about .03oz per day or .5oz per week
My Pomeranian needs (of each liver & other) about .19oz per day or 1.34oz per week
My golden isn't quite ready for organs so we haven't figured out what she needs yet.
I would do once a week or even every other week. I don't know how you can feed such small amounts that would be needed every day. I would start with very small amounts once a week and gradually increase it until you get to the desired amount. After several weeks of that, IF you want to feed twice that amount every other week, you could try it. Their bodies will tell you whether or not that will work.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No kidding! I was trying to weigh it on my kitchen scale and can't even get it to register to the correct amount for daily....so I guess it will be weekly or every other week. Problem solved :) Now do you feed both organs on the same day, say Liver & Kidney? Or several days apart?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think it'll depend on if your dogs like organs or not. Most dogs don't like them much so feeding them once a week or so is much easier. That is what we do. We alternate between feeding liver and kidney every other week.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like liver isn't going to be a problem for my little piggies.....just gave them both a little piece of calve liver and they both inhaled it and then looked up at me for more before finishing the rest of their dinner. I'm relieved!

·
Registered
93 Posts
cprcheetah, not trying to take over your thread or anything but you and I have basically the same question so I thought I'd ask here instead of making a new thread. I hope you don't mind. I'm at the point that my dog needs to start organs too. I've given her a couple small pieces of kidney and she liked it and has had no problems with it. Is there anything wrong with feeding her a small amount daily as opposed to doing it only one a week or every other week?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It's just fine to feed just a bit everyday. You have to figure out what is easiest for your schedule and what works for your dogs. We only feed every other week or so because our dogs don't like their organs!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would feed daily for optimum balance (IMO) but with my dogs being so tiny it would be nearly impossible to calculate the daily dose for them, Zoey needs .03 per day, that's not even 1/10th of an oz so it would be like a pencil eraser or less per day, which would be next to impossible. I think it is personal preference and what your dog can handle, as long as it is 10% (5% Liver, 5% other organs) of the total diet you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think it'll depend on if your dogs like organs or not. Most dogs don't like them much so feeding them once a week or so is much easier. That is what we do. We alternate between feeding liver and kidney every other week.
Ryou's favorite food is organs...as I found out today. He can't even listen to the "wait" command when he's got organs in front of him!!!

I've gotta shove Amaya's down her throat. haha. Not that bad. She swallows them quickly now, because she knows I'm not gonna let her spit them out.

Kuso slurps anything and everything down as quickly as he can.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
one dog gets .4 oz per day and my other one gets .5 oz per day....

when we realised raw would work, i gave them little teensy tiny pieces, maybe thumbnail size....and they got used to it.

now liver is a treat...and we're bringing bison kidney in next, so i'll alternate it every other day.

for your little chi, i probably would not feed every day, even though it's ideal...or you can cut the weekly portion and sliver it every day if you want to balance daily.

we also feed them as first thing in the morning as treats...with salmon gel caps...they get up at 4 a.m...this holds them over 'til brekkie.

·
Registered
115 Posts
...you can cut the weekly portion and sliver it every day if you want to balance daily.
This is what I have been doing too. I weigh the recommended weekly amount of organ and cut it into seven pieces and drop one piece in each baggie (subtracting that much meat from the bag to get to the correct daily weight) before freezing. So far, my dogs have not been picky about eating either beef kidney or pork heart.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
This is what I have been doing too. I weigh the recommended weekly amount of organ and cut it into seven pieces and drop one piece in each baggie (subtracting that much meat from the bag to get to the correct daily weight) before freezing. So far, my dogs have not been picky about eating either beef kidney or pork heart.
i've always thought i have a little OCD....but i don't baggie anymore...because what i feed is determined by their poop the day before...

so, i have a polycarbonate container with three or so proteins, including turkey necks or chicken backs for days i need more bone...

the beef liver is their 'treat' at 4 a.m...with their salmon gelcaps....

then they are fed at 7 and 4....

usually a bone meal and a non bone meal....i like the variety i can give them.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong but I dont think heart is considered an organ. " If it does'nt secreet it's meat."
i think of heart as a bridge muscle meat....richer than most beef, but not an organ, since the heart is a muscle....

we get it cheaply enough that our dogs eat it as main meals several times a week....

i don't see how we can go wrong with heart....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts