Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody may say that I am asking too many questions and I apologize for that.
I am a relatively new to raw, I switched my dog to it about a month ago. And yes, she is doing wonderfully on it. Thanks a lot for your kind help over these postings.

I do have another doubt thou, regarding the organs to feed: so far, I have been able to find only liver and calf kidneys. Would it be a problem if I omitt the others (pancreas, spleen, brain ...?) for a long period of time?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
You could never ask too many questions!!! And we are always happy to answer them!

Liver and kidneys cover all the bases as far as organs go. They are the ones that hold the nutrients that are essential to a balanced diet.

We feed two organ meals a week or every other week depending on whether we remember it or not, and our dogs usually eat once a day. We give one liver meal and one kidney meal or we combine them in one meal. We usually give the same amount in organs as we would in other meats that make up one meal, but I wouldn't suggest giving that much in the beginning. Organs are rich, and should be added into the diet slowly and at first fed with a meal of something that they are used to, like chicken backs or quarters. That way the bone in the chicken will offset the richness in the organs and keep stool relatively firm.

We have never fed spleen or brain or pancreas...but wouldn't hold out on doing it. Except for maybe brains...I don't think I would actively search for brains LOL

Remember that heart is muscle meat, not organ meat. It is rich muscle meat, kinda like an organ, so you should be careful with feeding too much of it all at once.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you have a Food4Less in your area, I would try there. :smile: Also, pancreas and thymus are more commonly known as "sweetbread" commercially and is VERY available! You may also want to try ethnic markets.

After the mad cow disease scare, it is illegal to sell central nervous tissue from ruminants. Also, I'm not sure why you would want to. Brain matter is about 40% fat and would not regularly find itself on the menu. It's "shell" would be too hard to crack! :tongue:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a Food4Less in your area, I would try there. :smile: Also, pancreas and thymus are more commonly known as "sweetbread" commercially and is VERY available! You may also want to try ethnic markets.

After the mad cow disease scare, it is illegal to sell central nervous tissue from ruminants. Also, I'm not sure why you would want to. Brain matter is about 40% fat and would not regularly find itself on the menu. It's "shell" would be too hard to crack! :tongue:
I'm in the middle on NYC and it's not easy to find the local butcher and no ethnics markets around here either. Just the usual supermarkets.

It's good to know that liver and kindney are just enough, as they are deadly available near me.

I Am not looking particularly to buy any brain, actually I am glad it's not a needed. I just thought that it would have been a natural fit in the diet.

Thanks for the infos.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Our Wal Mart here has it's own little "ethnic meat section" for lack of better term.... and I ddin't even know it existed until I went looking. They have all kinds of stuff.
I too have no "local butcher" and work only with grocery stores, Target, Wal Mart, and other big chains.
HOPEFULLY I will be able to find someone who will order in bulk for me when I move to henderson in two and a half weeks. Hopefully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts