Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I figured I'd ask here to see what you guys thought.

I palced an order for a 40 lb. box of chicken back for .69/lb. and a 40 lb. box of chicken leg quarters for .79/lb. to be picked up this weekend.

Now, my question is, I have a 70 lb. boxer, and a 50 lb. 4 month old english mastiff pup (who will eventually reach 160+ lbs.). Are these sufficiently sized meal items for them to eat? Good enough meat to bone content to get them started?

What else should I be getting that is also inexpensive? I know weeks 1 and 2 are strictly chicken, right?

Oh, and also...

My dogs ate some kibble this morning.

Should I try to start feeding them the RAW food tonight? Or should I wait till at least tomorrow morning, or even tomorrow evening? My pup is 4 months old, so I'm not sure that would be good for him? My boxer is also 13 months old..

Thanks for the help guys!
Adrian

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That's how I started my crew out. After that I added turkey necks. I fasted my guys for 24 hours before starting raw, but I *think* you'd be alright starting tonight if you chose to. Good luck!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Thanks so much for the response. I'm trying to find turkey necks around here, but they seem to be a bit more expensive. The only place I've found them so far have them for $1.15/lb. I hope I can find it somewhere else cheaper. :)

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
What you ordered is great! You'll want to keep chicken quarters always in stock, personally I'd fast your dogs til tomorrow morning and then start with the chicken backs stripped of all the skin and organs and see how that goes, start off small and not too much. A Chicken back morning noon and night for the pup and the boxer a.m. and p.m. Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I second waiting til tomorrow. What you ordered sounds perfect. It really depends on how much your dogs chew will dictate what size the rmb's you can give them. Keep us posted!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts