Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there was only one big deer killed on my farm this past season, I went through that meat pretty quickly. I bought some pet food from Slankers Grass Fed Meat and my dogs love it. I know they must not taste the food till later cause they inhale it:smile: Was wondering what y'all think?? I still give them their chicken back in the morning. But they get Slankers for supper. Do y'all think this is sufficient??? I called Slankers and they said there was about 5% organ meat in the regular beef dog food. Is that enough organ meat or should I be adding more????
Here's the site Grass-Fed Pet Food

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Honestly I've never been a fan of the pre made raw foods that butchers make. I didn't see an analysis of the breakdown of ingredients in their products, how much meat, bone etc. And usually these diets come ground. Neither of these things are ideal. I wouldn't even consider giving any of the bones they offer because they are all weight bearing bones.

Do you not have access to a meat distributor or wholesaler? Or a walmart? Because for the price per pound on their products you could feed human grade beef for about the same amount.

But if this product is only going to make up a portion of what your dogs get to eat and is the only way to feed beef reasonably then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just felt that this would be as close to deer meat as I could get since it is strictly grass fed beef. That was my thinking anyway. I still feed them some fish, and some pork and beef from the grocery. They get their bone from the chicken backs they get every morning.
I noticed the bones they sell were way too big to be feeding to my dogs.
This guy seems pretty anal about the nutrition is meat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts