Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've heard that adding olive oil to a dog's diet can be beneficial to them since it adds more fats and can be good for their coats. However, since it's not derived from an animal source, is this really true or something that should be avoided? Or just one of those things that doesn't really matter either way?

I often end up with leftover olive oil after cooking for myself and was wondering if I could just give it to my pups. Waste not want not and all :smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
It's true.
Champ's coat has been dry lately. I've been giving him Olive Oil with each meal, and it took about two weeks, but he's not nearly as dry as he was.
Fish Oil probably has more nutritional benefit, but as far as dry coat and skin goes, Olive Oil works just as good, IMO.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
A bunch of the canned dog foods are adding olive oil now and I've found out that it causes horrible colitis in Chelsy. Merrick makes a venison that I thought would be good for her until she got deathly ill on it. That's when I found out they put olive oil in a bunch of their foods.

If they're not allergic or have any digestive issues I imagine it would be okay....just not for a doggie with colitis or any issues like that. I stick with foods that have herring oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts