Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want/ need to feed some dry. I want to go with feeding raw, after reading lots of posts, and researching, I've decided to go with raw. BUT, I need to feed some dry on very rare occasion. Maybe 3 times a year my inlaws feed the dogs when I go out of town with the horses. I usually don't take both dogs with me. Sometimes I take Abby. Last weekend I left her home, and she wouldn' t eat for them. But I don't want to explain to them how or why I am feeding them raw meat because they won't get it. So how do I need to go about this?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Once you begin to feed raw you will see how its not that big a deal nor any more trouble to feed them. It will become no different feeding raw than feeding anything else. The dogs will be much much less likely to not eat when raw food is put in front of them.

There are several ways you can show people how to feed a raw meal or several raw meals very easily. The best and easiest ways is to simply pack each meal in a zip lock bag with the dogs name on the bag and which meal it is. For example, you would write on a bag, "Abby, thursday morning". Put those bags of food in the fridge. At meal time they simply pull out the appropriate bags and feed to each dog.

Another thing you could do is feed ground beef and ground turkey the days you are gone. You could also feed freeze dried food for a few days.

I think you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist and never will exist. There will never be a reason to feed your dog kibble again. I haven't fed kibble in 7 years and never been tempted to.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
It's true, it is very simple to get people to feed your dog raw while you're gone if you just put everything into portion sizes and explain to them how you simply pull it out of the bag and hand it over, no measuring or mixing involved!

However, if you absolutely feel it is absolutely impossible for your inlaws to grasp this concept, then stick with a super high quality grain-free food like Evo for them to feed the dog in the mean time. It's pretty simple, they'd just get Evo while you're gone and raw when you get back. Maybe they can at least do something nice like wet it down so the kibble isn't completely tearing up her digestive tract when she eats it, that should make it a little easier on the pup (though still not ideal, obviously).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my inlaws are not the brightest crayons in the box if you know what I mean, and it will be a big deal as to why I want to do this.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Haha, I think we're just confused as to why they'd care more about pulling a bag out of the freezer as opposed to scooping and measuring the right amount out of a bag. I know they aren't the brightest, but if you just tell them "I'm doing this because it's the best for my dog, it's no more complicated than kibble, this is how you do it" shouldn't they just go along with it?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh no I have to leave premeasured bags with the dogs names on them. I let them feed from the bag, and they filled up their whole bowl, and they're big bowls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts